About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
fancy a quilt-a-long?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 12 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I'm currently playing around with, can't decide if I should make it into a large floor cushion or whether to continue out and make it into a quilted bed throw.

It's hand sewn, hand cut, and more in keeping with traditional patchwork as all the cloth, so far, has been from fabrics from articles of clothing, curtaining, tablecloths etc from childhood to present all with memories attached.

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 12 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very nice...........When I get rid of the W.I. this week I will get to it....

pookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 12 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely T.G.

pookie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 12 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is everyone doing? is anyone doing?

I came to a standstill with mine....well got a little distracted by other things....but I intend to do block number 3 this week

faerienono

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 12 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pookie, I thought yours would have been finished a long time ago! xx

pookie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 12 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faerienono wrote:
Pookie, I thought yours would have been finished a long time ago! xx

*laughs with slight hysterical cackle*

Luath

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 12 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some of mine cut ready, but won't be partaking as am leaving. Hope any one who bothers to take part enjoys it and has a lovely quilt at the end of it

pookie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 12 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luath wrote:
Got some of mine cut ready, but won't be partaking as am leaving. Hope any one who bothers to take part enjoys it and has a lovely quilt at the end of it

oh leaving? moving?

Sherbs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 12 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never done any quilting but I do like doing patchwork and I've often thought I should have a go at a quilt. I'm at a bit of a gap in craft projects now and although I do have a knitting project that needs finishing I'd like to start planning the next thing and I'm increasingly drawn to the idea of making a quilt and looking at these pictures is really inspiring me to give it a go. I don't have a quiilting ruler or any special cutting equipment but I think I will definitely start thinking about fabrics and designs although I intend to start with something fairly simple.

DawnMK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 12 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherbs wrote:
I've never done any quilting but I do like doing patchwork and I've often thought I should have a go at a quilt. I'm at a bit of a gap in craft projects now and although I do have a knitting project that needs finishing I'd like to start planning the next thing and I'm increasingly drawn to the idea of making a quilt and looking at these pictures is really inspiring me to give it a go. I don't have a quiilting ruler or any special cutting equipment but I think I will definitely start thinking about fabrics and designs although I intend to start with something fairly simple.

paper piecing is an easy way to start you dont need any fancy tools for that, cut yourself a template from a cereal box whatever shape you decide you want, then cut another template quater inch bigger than your original for you seem allowance, your larger one is what you use for your fabric and the smaller one you use for all the paper bits you will find easy instructions on google for paper piecing I have proberbly not explained it too well, back in the days of old they did lovely patchwork with no fancy tools,

Sherbs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 12 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawnMK wrote:

paper piecing is an easy way to start you dont need any fancy tools for that, cut yourself a template from a cereal box whatever shape you decide you want, then cut another template quater inch bigger than your original for you seem allowance, your larger one is what you use for your fabric and the smaller one you use for all the paper bits you will find easy instructions on google for paper piecing I have proberbly not explained it too well, back in the days of old they did lovely patchwork with no fancy tools,

This is how I was taught to do patchwork and I had thought I could probably use the same technigue for quilting. My difficulties are likely to come later when it stops being just about sewing pieces together and starts being an actual quilt. I've been thinking about a really simple pattern to start with and we'll see how I get on.

PS: T.G. that is absolutely beautiful, I love the idea of re-using fabrics that have some memory or association in a way that keeps them in your life and active rather than stashed away in a cupboard.

Sally Too

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 12 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.G wrote:

This is what I'm currently playing around with, can't decide if I should make it into a large floor cushion or whether to continue out and make it into a quilted bed throw.

It's hand sewn, hand cut, and more in keeping with traditional patchwork as all the cloth, so far, has been from fabrics from articles of clothing, curtaining, tablecloths etc from childhood to present all with memories attached.

Wow - how did I miss this earlier.

That is beautiful, and so special with all the memories.

My daughter used material in her quilt that was left over from the material used to make bridesmaids dresses when hubby and I got married.

Cathryn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 12 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me wish that I hadn't been so ruthless and thrown everything away.

Sherbs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 12 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've succeeded in unearthing a whole bag full of patchwork squares I got from Laura Ashley over 25 years ago and never used (shows how long I've been collecting my fabric stash! ) I think I will use them for the basis of my quilt. It's going to be really simple but then it's only a first attempt.

T.G

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 12 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all

As for paper piecing as dawn rightly says it is really easy way to go. However, they tend to tell you to tack the cloth to the paper by stitching it or pins.

Pins are fiddly and they stab you, more often than you would wish, and tacking with stitches takes time. I used to cut a cardboard piece out as a template, cut the rest of the pieces out in newspaper, then iron the material over the piece as in the same way you would with pins or a stitch so the steam iron forms a nice crease and the cloth itself hold the paper piece in place. It give a nice crisp edge is much quicker and if the paper moves or what have you, the crease is still there as a sewing guide.

Hope that is clear enough

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive