Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Surplus food waste.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Did you know Supermarkets throw away an estimated 400,000 Tons Of Food that could be reclaimed a year?
Yes
82%
 82%  [ 23 ]
No
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 28

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link fairy please,
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1990/16/section/35.
The punishments available under the,food safety act, used for selling and supplying unfit food.

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamanda wrote:
Pilsbury wrote:
If I cause harm through negligence then they won't need to sue, I will be prosecuted under the food safety act and that can lead to imprisonment I believe.
That's why HACCP is so important to use as a due diligence defence.

That is obviously the case, it was the "doing things out of kindness and then getting sued for millions" bit that I was taking issue with.

I am fairly sure a conviction under the food safety act would be followed by a private claim for damages, or I might just be paranoid about the risks.
And the millions part was if it was Tesco providing the food which is a good reason for them not to get involved.

Last edited by Pilsbury on Mon Jun 18, 12 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

marigold

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ DawnMK The problem is that the benefits system is designed to make getting benefits as complex and difficult as possible. Claims take weeks to process, payments are stopped "by mistake" and take more weeks to be reinstated, each benefit requires a separate application and some are dependent on others. People fall through the gaps, sometimes by their own mismanagement, but often simply because a change in circumstances (sickness, accident, loss of job, breakdown of relationship, death) leaves them penniless.

An acquaintance of mine was widowed unexpectedly last year and literally had no money coming in for months while the DWP sorted out moving things from her husband's name to hers (her church supported her). She wasn't in the least bit "benefits savvy" and here it takes 6-8 weeks to get an initial appointment with CAB, so for novice applicants it's a very slow process. If you are on a low income, it's hard to build up a buffer of savings to tide you over hard times and many people don't have access to credit either.

You don't simply roll up at the jobcentre and get given a "handout".

Last edited by marigold on Mon Jun 18, 12 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rob R

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The legislation, it seems, whilst protecting us has also endangered us - all the personal responsibility has been taken out of it through law to the degree that people don't have to think for themselves any more.

DawnMK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so when familys use food banks to help them out to bridge a gap do they then contribute back for others or is it take that they can just use it whenever they want, are they vetted to see that they are needy, I only ask because one family I saw on TV had a very very nice home, two cars and there children had games box thinghys but they were claiming poverty and having to use the food bank towards the end of each month until pay day, I was shocked that they could use this facility when there life style was not that of a family in poverty, both parents worked full time and they did say they would have to sacrifice this years holiday, this was a few months ago round about budget time, they said theywere regular users of the food bank and had been for about a year, surley this abusing a charity that is there to help needy people in the community, I can understand it helping out those who suddenly find themselfs in a situation like you mentioned.
Also isnt there groups out there who go round and collect food from the back of supermarkets and use it to help those in need

chez

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think anyone not actually wearing sackcloth should be subject to a count of their visible ribs before being allowed anywhere NEAR a food bank.

marigold

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chez wrote:
I think anyone not actually wearing sackcloth should be subject to a count of their visible ribs before being allowed anywhere NEAR a food bank.

And bring back the 1920s/30s means test - all homes to be inspected and stripped of saleable goods before any dole is allowed.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why they selected that family to show on TV. The food banks are private charities set up by well meaning people. The one here is run by the Baptist church. I make donations to it periodically. It's a shame if a few people take the Micky, but I'm sure they are in the minority.

chez

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Needy people making use of voluntary service run by well-meaning donations" doesn't make such good television?

marigold

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamanda wrote:
I wonder why they selected that family to show on TV.

For the express purpose of making people think that all benefit claimants/food bank users are undeserving chancers, I imagine.

Ditto the stream of stories about disability fraud cases (.5% of the total). "99% of DLA claimants are GENUINELY disabled" won't sell newspapers.

DawnMK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just been chatting to my daughter about it and she was telling me about a friend of hers who every christmas has a hamper from the salvation army, its basicaly a turkey veg, biscuits cake chocolates soft drinks crackers and some pressies for her three children and usually some toileries for her, she applied for it because she told them she was a single parent, but she isnt she is with a partner and always has been, he is a computer engineer, she found about the service through a friend, she suggest to my daughter that she should apply for it, when daughter said to her friend but your not a single parent her reply was well they have never checked and if they are that stupid to give away xmas dinners thats there problem daughter did tell me she sent a letter to the address her friend gave her and informed them of how there generousity was being abused, her friend was a bit miffed she didnt get a xmas dinner xmas gone just a card and an invitation to there christmas service,
I have no objections to genuine cases being given a helping hand, it was mentioned that people dont have to be issued with refferal letters to get help from food banks, wouldnt it be better if they were then it would be those that need it would get it, and stop others abusing the generosity of charities and taking from those that do need help.

chez

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have just been given a car seat for Nenna from a charity. The physiotherapist who encouraged us to apply to that one in particular did so because it requires no means testing and no forms to fill in and no proof of how disabled our child is.

If you are genuinely in need, those things can be the last straw to put you off asking for help, because you have so much else to deal with. Sometimes you just need to be able to ask for help and to be given it.

An what goes around comes around, eventually.

Rob R

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread got me wondering about the amounts of food 'wasted' before it ever gets to retailers. This is a country where we shoot dead, annually, bull calves with a (very conservative) potential meat yield of 9000 tonnes. Waste is something we are very good at.

chez

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still interested in living on wartime rations - I think it would be an interesting exercise.

DawnMK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a cook book called Well Eat agin it recipies from war time and recipies published to eek out rations, would be happy for you to borrow it, its fascinating have cooked a few things from it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive