Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
National Insurance
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 12 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foggy wrote:
marigold wrote:

The 20% of unemployed youth aren't contributing anything towards anyone's pensions and are themselves a drain on society, but people who are already old have mostly worked hard, paid their dues and lived through harder times than these. We also need to be a lot more practical about end-of-life care and legalise euthanasia. Long term I think it's best to reduce and stabilise the population - fewer people living longer, healthier lives in a more equitable and sustainable economy. It won't happen, but one can have ideals.

If the government pushed apprenticeships the way they used to push a-level students into university, I'm sure there wouldn't be such an unemployment issue. While I certainly learnt a lot at university, it's done bugger all for my career, & I wish I had learned a trade instead.
Other than that, I agree with you.

On Monday evening, I went on a small school reunion, 3 of the group were or had been teachers and they were saying that youngsters who quite obviously are not academic but are skilled and talented in other ways are still pushed into 6th form to do A' levels they don't want to do, and then on into Uni where quite a high proportion either struggle or drop out in their first year.

EV

foggy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 12 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - at that age it's easy to be pushed along. I and a lot of my friends had no idea what we wanted to do with our lives, the only options were go to university or start working. If only someone had said to me - here, you can do these apprenticeships...

marigold

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 12 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so long ago you could start training as a nurse, police officer, physiotherapist, mechanic, electrician and many other careers with only O-Levels or CSEs. I don't think there's any good reason to increase the entry-level qualifications for many jobs, just the ideology that more and more education makes "better" people. The law of diminishing returns kicked in long ago IMO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive