Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Persimmon tree - where to buy from?
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 13 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pineberry wrote:
Gardening express sells large specimen tree but again no idea what variety it is.

Also would they reliable fruit in the UK summer?

Do NOT buy a large specimen tree, it won't establish anywhere near as well as a young one.

With the weather we've been having you couldn't say anything will reliably fruit here.

I've planted 4 cultivars of d kaki and 4 of d virginiana (20 trees in all) only 4 trees are still alive, no idea whether it's been too wet or too cold but either way it'll be a few years before I can tell you much.

tahir

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 13 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yummersetter wrote:
OK, I'd wait for Tahir as well, as he grows unusual fruits in the East of England.

You might find it to be money squandered, though.

Yeah, but I'm on solid clay

Pineberry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 13 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you share which cultivars you planted and where you got them from please? If its not a secret though.

I just checked a voice mail on my mobile and got a message from Suttons, persimmon they sell is Nishimura Wase cultivar. I might try that althought seems like I will need a pollinator for it for fruit to be non astringent as its pollination dependent.

tahir

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 13 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No secrets here, I bough all mine off ART.

tahir

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 13 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pineberry wrote:
I just checked a voice mail on my mobile and got a message from Suttons, persimmon they sell is Nishimura Wase cultivar. I might try that althought seems like I will need a pollinator for it for fruit to be non astringent as its pollination dependent.

Yes, strange things re astringency. Might be worth ordering the Persimmons sheets off ART:

Factsheet F12: Diospyros virginiana - American persimmon

Agroforestry News Vol 5 No 2
Ash, Black walnut - nut cultivation, Forest gardening: root & bulb crops, kaki persimmon, cherries - species descriptions.

Agroforestry News Vol 14 No 3
Mixed species cropping, Sap from black walnut, Rose hips, apples in agroforestry systems, chestnuts – post harvest quality, world hazelnut culture, plants for windy sites (1) – trees, Oriental persimmon in Europe.

Elizabethx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 17 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Persimmon tree - where to buy from? Reply with quote

Pineberry wrote:
I am new to this forum but got into into thru googling regarding persimmons.

Could anyone recommend where I can buy different persimmon cultivars from?

I know some nurseries do sell the trees now, but when I called them up and enquired which variety they supply, only spaldingbulb got back to me. The rest have know idea it is just Sharon fruit, persimmon they sell (no cultivar name) and parting with £38.99 @ T&M for unknown cultivar is not what I am happy with.

I read some post that some people name several cultivars they grow, but where can I purchase them from? Please help.

Please do contact me I have Sharron fruit and Rojo Brillante for sale.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive