Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
A True Blue Tory spills the beans
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 13 6:43 am    Post subject: A True Blue Tory spills the beans Reply with quote

Lord Howell (ex Thatcher minister) says it all here.

It's worth watching the video clip. According to him the best place to do fracking "could take place in the north-east without any impact on the surrounding environment" would be "..the desolute, barren, uninhabitated North East[of England]"

So glad I don't live there

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 13 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half listening to R4 earlier, the top dog very carefully refused to answer "Can you extract gas by fracking without going near people's homes?".

Hmph.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 13 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a bit puzzled as to why the BBC made such a fuss about this story, some of the comments made in the Lords are hardly worth repeating. This just seems to be a continuation of the wind farm, solar etc policy; i.e. people don't care as long as it's not next to them.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 13 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
I was a bit puzzled as to why the BBC made such a fuss about this story, some of the comments made in the Lords are hardly worth repeating. This just seems to be a continuation of the wind farm, solar etc policy; i.e. people don't care as long as it's not next to them.

Presumably by "people" you speak for yourself. I (as a person)don't mind wind arrays or solar farms at all. I use electricity and that needs to be generated. But I do mind the habitat destruction, water pollution and extra fossil fuel burning to be caused by fracking. But as this government has no compunction over building on AONBs for example I can't see that they will mind trashing the desolate North East, or the areas in the South they have their sight on.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 13 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamanda wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:

Presumably by "people" you speak for yourself. I (as a person)don't mind wind arrays or solar farms at all. I use electricity and that needs to be generated. But I do mind the habitat destruction, water pollution and extra fossil fuel burning to be caused by fracking. But as this government has no compunction over building on AONBs for example I can't see that they will mind trashing the desolate North East, or the areas in the South they have their sight on.

No, people as people in general if they're honest. You complain about fossil fuel burning but most of your electricity is produced by fossil fuels, goods made using it and and your car runs on it, causing pollution all over the world - we (people in general) don't seem to care as it happens else where.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 13 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much I can do beyond trying to minmise my use and supporting campaigners for other methods, as well as teaching what I am allowed to - I did see that the greenhouse effect and climate change are coming out of the science curriculum. But I still think it's wrong to to talk in sweeping generalisations. I can only speak for myself, as can anyone.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 13 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you could do far more, not use your car to go on holiday for example. Or to put in another way, there's be no need for fracking if people didn't require the energy (or accepted more nuclear power stations).

Personally I completely disagree with the Lord's comments, I think fracking and power generation should be closest to those who use it.

Rob R

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 13 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:

Personally I completely disagree with the Lord's comments, I think fracking and power generation should be closest to those who use it.

Agree completely.

I was just thinking about this as I filled the car with fuel - I'd love to rely less on vehicles but the distances I have to travel, not being able to afford land in a ring fence, means it's a necessary evil but one that I'm grateful is there.

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 13 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having spent two days in Grimsby and the area, I have an idea where he could frack.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 13 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble is that the UK has`nt a proper joined up thinking Energy Policy,and have`nt for a good while.

We have these knee jerk publications over the year`s,20 yrs ago,the scientists reckoned we were heading for another ice age,

10 yrs ago,it was Global Warming,then watered down to Climate change,which brought on the onslaught of windturbine erection,and recently the push for Biomass

This last winter brought things to a head,so much so,a tory minister cannot think of his name now,was shown the door,for exposing how close we actually came to running out of Gas,then we read the Gas LNG terminal in Pembrokeshire, lost 45% of its business,because the Electricity generators chose to use cheaper coal,so one would think,there would be surplus Gas available for domestic use?
Apparently there are decommissioned coal fired power stations coming back on line,temporary was mentioned,and in the same time Drax going 50% Biomass,shipping the product from the Southern States in the US,real joined up thinking.

A lot of the planning rules have been changed regarding Fracking,as they were done for Wind turbines by the last government,were energy supply over rules local objection.

Fracking,un-like Coal gasification and Syngas,is very controversial,but all the info regarding its production has been gathered from the US where it is big business,
They difference is that the Gas bearing shale is at a much greater depth in the UK,compared to the US,so possible,a lot of the fear`s of water contamination would`nt occur here,on that note,one would think a better/safer option would be a test borehole,and production properly monitored for say 5yrs.

And an ideal location would be in Osbourne`s back garden.

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 13 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty Gwyn wrote:
...on that note,one would think a better/safer option would be a test borehole,and production properly monitored for say 5yrs.

And an ideal location would be in Osbourne`s back garden.

Now that would surely be universally popular.

Shane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 13 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Having spent two days in Grimsby and the area, I have an idea where he could frack.
As an aside, they've been drilling for and producing gas onshore around that area since the mid-90s.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 13 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Oil in Yorkshire much earlier.

12Bore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 13 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a gas well just down the lane from us, no-one notices it and most don't even know it exists.
Unlike the huge coal fired power station a bit further along.

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 13 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane wrote:
Nick wrote:
As an aside, they've been drilling for and producing gas onshore around that area since the mid-90s.

It looks like it. What an unattractive bit of the world.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive