links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Soft fruit foraging
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 13 8:37 am    Post subject: Soft fruit foraging Reply with quote

Managed to pick some wild raspberries in our wood yesterday. Some also owe a bit to birds dropping seed as they are yellow, but that patch doesn't seem to be spreading.

From the number of butterflies and bees on the bramble flower, there should be plenty of blackberries too.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 13 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, I think its going to be a good year for soft fruit. The blackberries around here are abundant and the raspberries in our garden are too. They don't normally start giving a good yield until September.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 13 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we've abandoned the raspberries now as a lot of the fruit is rotting in the warm/wet weather and the wasps are in - been a great year for them and we have a raspberry mountain in the freezer

some yellow raspberries are growing wild near here - and are so sweet and lovely I am thinking of getting some of them too

onemanband

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 13 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgt.colon wrote:
I have to say, I think its going to be a good year for soft fruit. The blackberries ......

Not half.
When I cleared my building plot one corner was overgrown with blackberries. I left a 20 foot long, 4 foot wide, 8 foot high, wall of blackberries to screen off my caravan area.
What you see in picture is a fraction of my crop ! Both sides and the top are laden.

gardening-girl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 13 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No raspberries for us yet ours are autumn fruiting,but the redcurrants/blackcurrants are amazing.

Green Rosie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 13 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous fruit year here too - just starting to pick from my thornless blackberry and they look to exceed anything from previous years. One of my blackcurrant bushes was so laden all the branches dipped were weighted down to ground level!

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 13 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Rosie wrote:
Fabulous fruit year here too - just starting to pick from my thornless blackberry and they look to exceed anything from previous years. One of my blackcurrant bushes was so laden all the branches dipped were weighted down to ground level!

oh yes, we had the same - stunning quantities this year

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 13 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my vine pruned blackberry has lots of nice bunches this year.hooves crossed they will get ripe

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 13 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our rasps firstly didnt get enough water and then the few fruits dried up - poor, but looks good for brambles.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 13 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the rain came at about the right time for the raspberries. The blackberries look good too.

catbaffler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 13 6:12 am    Post subject: Where are all the sloes? Reply with quote

I went for a walk yesterday to check out foraging potential in my favourite place for blackberries, crab apples, sloes and wild plums. There were plenty of unripe blackberries and ripening apples but practically no sloes or plums at all. Has anyone else noticed this?

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 13 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a good crop of sloes in some places, but nothing in others. I haven't seen any mirabelles obvious at the moment; the best one round here looked completely fruitless, which is sad. Must have been the cold spring. Either the flowers got frosted or there weren't enough insects around to pollinate them.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 13 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My long hedge which is usually loaded has not one single bullace. Sloes are patchy.

Green Rosie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 13 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only found one shrub with sloes and we have no plums or damsons this year.

Shan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 13 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky Colour it green wrote:
we've abandoned the raspberries now as a lot of the fruit is rotting in the warm/wet weather and the wasps are in - been a great year for them and we have a raspberry mountain in the freezer

some yellow raspberries are growing wild near here - and are so sweet and lovely I am thinking of getting some of them too

Yellow raspberries are fabulous - the other advantage, aside from the taste, is that the birds seem to ignore them. I think the colour confuses them - they don't think they are ripe. I think our variety is All Gold. It spreads like mad. I keep on having to dig sections out!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive