Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
... the sky is baby blue, and the just-unfurling leaves ...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 251, 252, 253 ... 423, 424, 425  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 17 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're having quite a heat wave. Yesterday's high was 18.9 degrees Centigrade. And it is already 13.9 degrees C. this morning.

Question for you - when Fahrenheit to Centigrade converts from 66 degrees F. to 18.889 degrees C. I round up to 18.9 Should I just shrug and call it 19 degrees C?

Tapping maple trees should have, normally, continued a while longer. Not this year. Tomorrow's sap-to-syrup boiling will be odd. I'm used to standing around all bundled up, breath smoking in the cold, snow on the ground. Not tomorrow.

Cassandra, wouldn't the door be one of the last pieces to go up? I mean, they have to frame the shed and roof it first, don't they?

Handsome colors in the roving. I read "autumn shades" and thought my goodness, she's rushing the season. Then remembered, duh, it's the other way around and autumn is on your doorstep. I just confuse easily.

Mistress Rose, hope your d-i-l feels better soon. Mr Jam Lord and I got some chocolate yesterday and we quite agree, it is the feel-good, primary food group.

We went out for lunch yesterday. Where we were intending to go is closed for a week for maintenance. So we went up the street to a cafe; it has good food but is always busy. And noisy. He had a BLT and I had a grilled pastrami & Swiss cheese sandwich. Mine came with what we call French fries (chips to you) that were very good. And himself got a side of batter dipped, fried onion rings, also very good. We shared, of course. And instead of getting dessert there, strolled across the street to Minette's Chocolatier where I chose a couple of pieces of chocolate dipped candied ginger and himself got dark chocolate cordial cherries, his go-to favorite. Pleasant change in routine.

If we do go to the sap / syrup boil-down I'll of course let you know about it.

Bye for now.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 17 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are being 'warm', hopefully I would round it up to only degrees and half degrees, Jam Lady, i.e. we would say 19 deg. for your 18.889 but if it was below 18.75 we would say 18.5 deg. or at least that is how I do it, anything below would be 18 degrees. But each to their own.
I have a friend who weighs his food out all in grams. Now if I am hungry I eat more, if I am not I eat much less. I eat porridge in winter but not in summer, even though it is good anti cholesterol. he would go to 3 decimal places! Lets be honest it is warm, almost hot, for you and not so hot here!!
I tend to do all temperatures in centigrade except weather and there I go for Fahrenheit. Our weather forecasters do it in both generally. I guess we will outlaw Fahrenheit at some point. I expect MR will be doing centigrade as a scientist, me being an agricultural either puts on a coat and says its hot or leaves the coat off and says its cold!

I can't get the links with this computer anymore, unless I copy and paste in chrome as the council don't like it!

cassandra

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 17 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the other day that North America is facing an alarmingly warm Spring this year followed by a bit of a heat wave over summer, so batten down the hatches there JL.

Today I spun up some of the blue fluff and it has come out nicely - I tried fractal plying (which it turns out is quite a different thing to what the YouTube instructions suggested, but after some helpful input from someone on the relevant facebook page I seem to have achieved the desired result. It is presently drying on the line, so you will have to wait for a picture.

Now to work out what to knit with it. It is much too nice to use on an ordinary beanie!

It has actually been quite pleasant today, despite the forecast, but I have stayed mainly indoors spinning for all that. So much lusciousness needs attention!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 17 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those tops look lovely Cassandra. You must sit at your spinning for hours, but you spin thicker than me too, so probably goes faster. I have been spinning 400g of tops for several weeks now, usually an hour or so at a time when I am watching TV. Mine is rather thin though so I divide each length of tops into 8 sections to spin easier.

The weather here has now settled down to be warm days and cool nights, just about freezing. I would go with Gregotyns system of temperature Jam Lady. We don't usually bother with less than 1/2 deg. C. I get some idea of temperature from the weather forecast Gregotyn, then put on several layers if needed and take one or two off if I get too hot. I learnt, like you, in Fahrenheit, (along with yards, pounds, shillings and pence), then learnt cgs at school including Centigrade, then went on to Kg-m-s then SI. I still mentally convert to Fahrenheit and use pounds and ounces for cooking and inches for sewing. For other things it tends to be whatever is convenient; cu m for timber, miles for distance, yards or metres for shorter ones, and whatever fits the tapemeasure otherwise. Still use spans and personal height for things like hedging stake spacing and height.

DIL is a bit better thanks. Son seems to have started a cold, so they are a bit of a pair at the moment. They are going to a concert tonight, so hope it doesn't spoil it for them.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 17 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We too are in a warm spell, even if it is doing a lot of drizzly rain today and is windy, it really is fairly warm for Feb, but March next week so I guess it should be warmer, but I have seen deep snow up here in March, and it snowed on the hills the first year I came here in June. We seem to have lost the frosty mornings up here MR. The gritter lorry was only out one night last week and as I went out at 5am salt really was not needed, perhaps insurance or overtime needed!

A good way to get the bonus of the warm weather and spinning is to spin outside, Cassandra, or is it too much of a fag to set it all up, then perhaps have to take it all in in a rush if the weather turns?

I am sorting out the cut and paste in order to be able to read the links and have done it twice now. I hope it gets easier as I do more of them, but it seems that I can get a link then go to chrome and return and here and everything is as I left it-pigs will be flying next!
I got a glimpse of the French solar road and am impressed. I haven't worked out if this global warming is going to give us more sunshine or just heat. However, I doubt they will be putting a solar road here on the Bala to Welshpool road in a hurry, well not in my lifetime anyway!

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 17 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We decided to stay home today. It is just too unseasonably warm to be maple syruping. Plus it is overcast and rain is forecast.

Yesterday was an insane 73 degrees Fahrenheit or just a smidgen under 23 degrees Centigrade (I am waving at your cat, Cassandra.) And 15 days ago the ground was covered with snow. Storm headed our way after which temperatures returning to normal which means freezing.

Yesterday I picked up sticks in the garden, set liatris corms in a flat to begin rooting (can always haul into garage if need be) and transplanted some Crocus tomasinnianus and some galanthus in the woods.

Not quite sure what I will get up to today.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 17 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In spite of it being a southerly wind yesterday it certainly didn't feel too warm here, although it probably wasn't too bad; just a bit of wind chill.

We had a session attacking the buddleia bed yesterday. The bushes haven't been pruned for some years and were making a lot of themselves, so we have now found the far end of the pond, and have a huge pile for shredding. The bushes have been there for over 30 years and some of the stools are huge.

Pity you didn't get to your maple syrup boiling day Jam Lady. It looked quite interesting from your blog last year.

Gregotyn you are doing well. Soon you will be able to drive a computer solo all the time.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 17 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got into the garden yesterday, picking up branches and raking leaves. More to do. Weather went from mostly sunny to complete cloud cover to storm arriving just before 5:00 p.m. Tremendous thunder and lightening and just over 1/2 inch of rain. Today continues overcast and windy. Temperatures more seasonally appropriate so soup with homemade bread for lunch.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 17 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a bit variable here yesterday. Went from damp to wet to not quite raining. The coming week looks as if we are going to have everything the weather can throw at us, although not sure if the snow will get as far south as us.

Managed to get some seed potatoes and some seeds I wanted yesterday, but have to look somewhere else for a couple of them.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 17 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How shall I phrase it - glass half full or glass half empty style. Should I think of it as winter is not yet over or as Spring is not yet here. Days warm up to mid 40s Fahrenheit / 5.5 Celsius but last night's low was 24 Fahrenheit / minus 4.4 Celsius. Perhaps I will call it "normal" and leave it at that. But it sure was nice when we had windows open in the house and I could work outside in a T-shirt. It will come again. And soon. After all, Wednesday is March 1st, and doesn't that sound better than February.

Saw a nice size garter snake when I was working in the woods on Saturday. It rustled away from me and slithered / swam across a shallow puddle of the seasonal brook. Expect it is curled up somewhere, torpid with the chilly weather. And the honeybees industriously pollen / nectar gathering must be back in their hives too.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 17 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It decided to be rather wet here yesterday, so we couldn't do all the work we were intending to do, as picking up birch logs in the rain is no fun. I did some more spinning and have another 2 bobbins full, so am now plying again.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 17 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say I was doing well computing at all MR, it still takes forever to get things done and I am still using only 2 fingers at a time, like a pigeon pecking grain, 2 pigeons actually! I watch others and get jealous, (a few prayers for forgiveness here). I am faster than I was as I can just about remember where the letters are placed.

I woke to a good covering of snow, sort of inch plus. Went to work at 6 am as usual only to see a car with 4 inches of snow on top, so we got away lightly. I just wish we had your 73 degrees J. L. Dry all morning today, but now raining hard after a reasonable morning of sunshine-only need a fog for a full set!

Not too sure how much gardening I will get round to this year; I just wish I was settled. Men coming from the electricity company to put a new cable from the gable end to the meter not a big job but a day off! so will be cutting wood as soon as they have gone! And here in the afternoon.

The glass is always half full Jam Lady. As I see it, that is more positive than half empty! Spring is nearly fully upon us. But March is a going forward month, things dry out in theory and gardening can start in earnest towards the end of the month for most of the country. I will enjoy watching it develop. Now you can tell how much of a gardener I am, I wouldn't know a buddleia if I saw one! I know most of the common trees, but and I am assuming here that a buddleia is a shrub or tree? My theory is that "if I can't eat it, I don't grow it!" However I am adding to that, "-unless I can burn it to keep warm". Seems a good way to me and saves me a lot of back ache. My 30 odd Spruce are about 40 feet high and so as they are alongside the main road I will be felling them soon to avoid them falling into the road if the wind gets too much for them; westerly winds rule here mainly.

Is spinning a relaxing process, MR? And how easy is it as a pastime, rather than a business? Not for me, I doubt if I could cope, even though I had a go a long time back. I prefer wood working or embroidery. Just a neighbour wants to try it-so I thought I would ask. Then if it is easy to pick up she thinks she will have a go!
Still raining! And I have to go to the doctors' to collect my next month's life pack!

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 17 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy, I am in a grumpy mood! On March 18 I am to teach 3 classes at the 41st annual Home Gardeners School at Rutgers University. They are: A Japanese Touch for Your Garden, Backyard Chickens, and Made for the Shade. I have taught at the home gardeners schools for at least 10 years. Today I get my packet of forms. Which must be signed and returned by February 27. Let's ignore the fact that today is February 28.

Furthermore, the University has changed its payment system. I need to bring my Social Security card, drivers license, and passport so that this non-benefited position can have me certified as to identity and work eligibility as verified through government databases - U.S. Dept of Homeland Security and Social Security Administration. There is also something about the E-Verify system of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Do you find this as absurd as I think it is?

Gregotyn, I'm with you. I do not touch type. As well as e-mail etc it is the index finger of each hand that have written all 9 of my published books.

And as far as half empty / half full glasses:
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!"
Terry Pratchett

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 17 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buddleia is a flowering shrub Gregotyn, and very good for butterflies, and sometimes for bees. It tends to grow wild in this part of the world as we even have one on the edge of the woods. Think it was a Victorian import from northern India or somewhere similar. I expect Jam Lady knows the answer to that.

Spinning is a bit tricky to start with, but once you get the hang of it it is usually quite restful. Cassandra started not long ago and is doing really well. I would suggest your friend starts with a drop spindle as it is cheaper, easier to use and will initially give plenty of exercise, as it lives up to its name. When they have learnt on that, consider a wheel as things happen a bit faster with one of them, and chasing the thread through the little hole gets rather wearing.

What happens if someone doesn't have a driving license and passport Jam Lady? I am in the happy situation where my driving licence doesn't have a picture on it as it is so old and my passport expired years ago. Even in the UK that can cause some minor problems. My mother was even worse and she mislaid her birth certificate too. At the time she was born, the originals were held at the offices where the births were registered and the one she was at was bombed out during the war, so the original was lost. To get a passport, Dad ended up having to write a very officially rude letter to the passport people to assure them that she a. existed, b. she had been married to him for over 30 years, and c. she was not an illegal alien. He got one in the end, being well up on Civil Service politely rude.

I had a busy day yesterday preparing some hazel for a basket, doing log sacks, and having a walk across the woods. Husband and son managed to pick up some timber and cut me the logs for the sacks, but unfortunately it decided to 'shower' on them when they were cutting a log load. It blew a bit too, and even in the log store it was cold and wet. We haven't had any snow yet, although we may get some overnight, but we will see. Otherwise spring is proceeding gently and we still have plenty of winter work to do.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 17 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not what they want for identification, Mistress Rose. What bothers me is why do they want it. What does a once-a-year gardening event have to do with Homeland Security?

An English sheep farmer takes an on-the-ground look at America. And comments. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/01/opinion/an-english-sheep-farmers-view-of-rural-america.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Moth-Visible&moduleDetail=inside-nyt-region-3&module=inside-nyt-region&region=inside-nyt-region&WT.nav=inside-nyt-region

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 251, 252, 253 ... 423, 424, 425  Next
Page 252 of 425
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive