Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
... the sky is baby blue, and the just-unfurling leaves ...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 253, 254, 255 ... 423, 424, 425  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 17 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was puff pastry, Mistress Rose, because they bought it at the store. Remember they only have 3 hours for the whole presentation. Also, space is limited - as you can see in the first image they only have one longish table on which to lay everything out and do their work.

Yesterday late afternoon I uncovered the 2 dozen plants I had protected against Saturday night's bitterly cold temperature. And today it is raining.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 17 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all, I had a good w/e at my friends'. We normally go to the local hostelry for evening meal, and normally very good, however we ordered a glass of wine for the wife of mate, and it didn't come and didn't come so we got up and paid and went. The husband said we should have gone to a small pub in Stottesdon village which has now got a good reputation, so before we left we rang and booked to give it a go the next evening and it really was good-well they enjoyed it better than me. They don't do 'well done' fillet steak, but they do rump well done so I had that but it was too well done for me. I ate it and was so-so for me. My problem is I don't like fillet when it has blood running out of it, and they said all their fillet comes thick. They didn't like my idea of cutting it through and grilling it thin as I used to when doing a steak for me. I didn't say anything but won't be eating steak there again. Overall very good, my friends were very pleased with their meals. It was twice the price of the previous night but value even so.
The new infant girl, Matilda, came on Sunday for lunch, c/w parents and the demon Jack, a nearly 5 year old, and also their daughter with her little 2 y/o girl who is delightful, full of fun but so gentle. It was fun really but the boy can get carried away a bit like me when I was his age, but I had my brother to sort me out!
Enough of me.

Glad the shed is up and getting into shape for you Cassandra. I have a magnet on wheels, which I find invaluable when I need to clear up. It is a couple of feet wide, but saves looking on hands and knees, and I am of an age when I don't want to be crawling round the floor getting shrapnel in my knees! From the picture is that 2 long windows at this end of the side we can see or is that 2 entrances to 2 rooms?
I know nothing about wool, and dyeing, my nearest to wool was shearing and then never was I going to win a prize for its removal from the sheep's back, but I can wrap a fleece-sad old man! However I do use the products, woolly socks and gloves, I really don't do nylon socks ever. Now you are wrong, those items are not wicked things they are work to be progressed, Cassandra, not a stash! I never thought of Ytube for info. thankyou. Guess I must get my own computer and start to experiment a bit.

I think you are right about the human imports, Jam Lady, we really don't want the nasties here any more than you do over there, and to be honest we have enough bad folks in the UK already. Some of the things humans will do to other humans I find quite upsetting. We too have plenty of lambs around, though full swing starts now till the end of April- my friend liking to lamb late-I don't understand why, he lamb's indoors anyway.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 17 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect you have made suet crust pastry Jam Lady, but it is so easy and quick, as you just mix the suet and flour and add water then stir.

Glad you had a good weekend on the whole Gregotyn. Small children can be rather exhausting, but can be fun. The best thing is if you can channel the energy into something constructive. I know I wore out an overactive child one day by getting them to pump water for watering the garden. They had fun, did something useful, and were very well behaved.

We spent yesterday in the woods working on the coppice. Son cut some more in the morning, than had to go to a funeral, but husband and I carried on burning up brash and moving timber for charcoal and firewood that was uncovered when we moved the tops. Got a few nice hazel rods out too, but most of what I was working on was ash or very large hazel rods, large enough for firewood. The single anemone that was in flower on Saturday has been just about joined by a friend, so it hasn't been too warm over the last few days. Weather was lovely, but we had rain overnight and it is a bit murky today.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 17 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regrettably there is no watering to be done at this time of the year, but he can come and stay next year with me, as a nearly 6 yo. and fetch water from the well up to where I plan a small veg plot, that will slow the demon up a bit nearly kills me!

I hope the charcoal starts soon for you to be able to build up a stock for the wonderful summer we are going to have-guess. Will you be running both kilns or just the new one, MR? If I remember the new one is faster, but smaller, so turn round time will be less than the big one but less cooked at a time, useful quick fix! I suspect the sooner you start the better for sales. I wondered if you could do the job in winter as well as summer. Does the wood need to be seasoned?

My friend's yellow crocus have all gone now, and now I notice the purples are starting to show well, proving Jam Lady's statement earlier, that the yellows start and the purples finish the crocii show.

It really doesn't seem 2 minutes since I was away and we are almost on the w/e now.

According to a friend my new shed has been made up in the workshop so all we are waiting for is for assembly on site-I feel another saga coming on. Rest assured you will get a blow by blow account of progress. I will then move to that house and get that into shape. First filling the new improved workshop with "stuff" well tools and so on (and 'on' in my case), I don't travel light so it will take a few weeks!
Just want to get it done now.

I hope all of you are well.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 17 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insane see-saw weather is cycling again. If you remember, I mentioned the 13 degree Fahrenheit nighttime weather of March 3 / 4. Well today, March 9, has afternoon temperature of 61 degrees Fahrenheit. And tomorrow we will be "gifted" with 2 to 4 inches of snow. Plus daylight savings time begins on Sunday morning.

On Monday I am going with two friends to the Philadelphia (Pennsylvania) flower show in the Convention Center. This year's theme is the colors of Holland so I shall expect lots of bulbs. Show opens on March 11 and runs for a week from Sunday. Masses of flowers forced into early bloom for insane simultaneous overlap. And masses of visitors too. Will do my best to get some nice images to show you but the crowds and the awkward lighting makes it difficult.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 17 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely enough Gregotyn we had our first order for charcoal yesterday. We have some put by from the little kiln, so hope to be able to fulfil the order from that. We are intending to run both kilns. What we hope to do is fill both then fire the little one twice while the big one is firing and cooling. Any rush small orders we will use the little kiln, but the main build up will be the big one.

Hope you get your shed sorted quickly and can move soon.

Jam Lady, we are having moderately variable weather, but not as bad as you. Yesterday was a lovely warm spring day, and the night quite cool to start with, but the cloud came in and today is rather misty at the moment. Hoping it will clear later. Your flower show sounds interesting. As long as they don't go for mainly orange, which is the Dutch national colour.

Had a good productive day yesterday. In the morning I did some more to my basket and in the afternoon helped husband and son to shift some more birch from the common. It was really lovely sunshine and the remaining birches against the blue sky were amazing. It was rather muddy, but we got through all right, including a loaded trailer. Daffodils and celandines in flower everywhere, so spring is coming on.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 17 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are now having a dull afternoon, this morning was lovely not hot not cold, but last w/e when I was away my home had a few inches of snow which came and went in less than 24 hours! I went to bed last night and it was coldish, got up to a warm morning at 4.30am. I suppose it is spring and we must expect variation, but it always seems the same in summer when it should at least be warm, but is often not.

I hope you enjoy the flower show Jam Lady. Look forward to seeing the pictures when you can. The Dutch are bulb mad. Bulbs have their place in the gardening world, that lovely spring burst, picks me up for the theoretical improvement in weather to come

I rather thought that you would use both charcoal 'cookers' to increase sales output as well as be able to get a stock together, I also wondered if you can fire up in the winter to get stock in when it suits you and you are ready for those who advertised a bbq only to ask for charcoal the day before they want it. You said before that it was possible to store charcoal without any detriment. But I suppose who wants a dirty job in the depths of cold in winter when you can be in the cab of the pick-up delivering logs!?! I will send you a pm regarding Birch, Probably tomorrow, but I have to remember-better do it now-done!

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 17 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a little "whet your appetite" entry for the show - It's Coming Soon! The Philadelphia Flower Show

Uh huh. William of Orange and Mary, his queen. Who came over from the Netherlands to become your King William.

In one regard the show will be very difficult for me. I did not go last year so this will be the first time since my friend, the doyen of the cactus and succulent society world, died. It was always fascinating to see his collection of first / second / third place ribbons (often sweeping all three in one class.)

Snowing enthusiastically. Maybe an inch so far. But temperature is a few degrees above freezing so it is just now beginning to stick to driveway. I'm not going anywhere until Monday so my car is in the garage while Mr Jam Lord moved his to the bottom of the driveway "just in case."

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 17 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble with the big kiln is that it takes rather a long time to fire Gregotyn. If husband lights it about 8am, if we are lucky it is ready to shut down by about 6-8p.m. The first firing of the season always takes longer as the hearth needs to dry out, and I rather suspect winter firings would take a long time too. We tend to get the first firing done when the clocks go forward, which at least gives us a little more light in the evening. We bought the small kiln so that we could run one during the winter if we need to, and react fairly fast if we need to too. Have replied to your PM.

The preview of the show looks good Jam Lady. Look forward to seeing more about it when you have been to it. Perhaps don't go to the cactus section this year if you feel bad about losing your friend. It looks as if there will be plenty more there.

The weather was drizzly and foggy here yesterday. Husband and son managed to collect some more birch as it wasn't so bad there, but generally damp and dismal.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 17 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thank you, MR. If it had been worth your while I didn't want to alert others to a potential product for you, as I suspect it is quite a limited market. I take the point about the big kiln being lit at 8 am to give day time attendance to the kiln every time. I met a chap at a demonstration on the Brecon Beacons and they started it in the middle of the previous day in order to be able to show the finished product coming out of the kiln, so I guess that you can do all the needed adjustments you have to during daylight; this chap had got up at sometime in the night to do shut down. It is around 30 years ago that I viewed that, so hazy to say the least!

As a rugby fan and living in Wales, but being an over the eastern border national, and therefore supporter, I want to publically thank the Welsh team for a fantastic boost to my hopes for the GS. George North was a new player last night, very impressive. I have to watch the rugby at my neighbour's house as I don't do tv-too expensive and I get to bed around 7 pm so miss most of what I would like to watch.

I have managed to get through on the link today with just a click, first time it has happened for a few weeks JL. The flower show is spectacular, I could see why you go with your association with the horticultural world, but it would attract a world wide audience I expect. I would book a seat in the car if I was there as it would be a wonderful sight in real life.
Sorry you have snow, Jam lady. We have had so little this year, but from a farming point of view snow is good water, rather than rain which doesn't soak into the ground in the way snow does and so is a good lot of moisture in the soil, rather than being 'free' rainwater, which mainly runs away down the drains.

I hope Cassandra is OK. I expect she is very busy now to get the shed into order before the weather changes for the worse with the autumn/winter approaching.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 17 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite windy yesterday evening / night. Overnight low 17 degrees Fahrenheit. Very white landscape.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 17 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The firing time depends on the kiln size as well Gregotyn. Ours is 6' diameter and takes about 10-12 hours, but a larger kiln will take longer and a smaller one shorter time. I would expect a demonstration kiln to be smaller, and we leave ours 48 hours after firing to be sure it is completely cold. Nothing worse than opening it and finding it catch fire again.

Cassandra has been active on FB, and went to a spinning show last weekend, which looked pretty good, but as you say, I think she has been busy around the house and shed, so may not have been doing anything 'downsizery'.

We try to divert as much rainwater as possible into the woods as otherwise we get quite a lot of run off. It is raining again today, but the weather forecast is for several days of dry weather.

We did some burning up in the coppice coup yesterday. There were a couple of little patches of wood anemones coming up in flower, but very short still. The birds seemed to be setting up territory as we heard thrushes, woodpeckers, owls and others. We had a wren and robin join us too, which was nice.

Noticed that one of the winterbournes just over in Sussex was running this week, so am expecting the big one, the Lavant at Chichester to begin running soon. I was thinking they weren't going to this year.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 17 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about this magazine? https://www.landlust.co.uk/

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 17 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, never heard of it.

Managed to put my onion sets in yesterday as the forecast is for mild weather for the next week at least. Hoping I am not too early.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 17 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major snowstorm. Schools closed, flights canceled. Yesterday's visit to the flower show was an excellent choice as today would not be an option - 5 inches of snow already on the ground and more coming down. Even though it is 28 degrees Fahrenheit what's hitting the windows / skylights sounds sleety. Yesterday's trains so crowded that the aisles were packed. In fact, coming home a few people could not get off at their stop. The woman looked out a window and exclaimed, "There's my husband!" who was waiting on the platform to pick her up. Advice from fellow passengers - "Tell him to pick you up at the next stop." Hope it worked out for her.

Show likewise full of visitors who decided Tuesday was not an option, better go on Monday. It was a good show - masses of tulips, lots of orange, also bicycles featured prominently. I wandered at random, took lots of images, a goodly number of which have already ended up on the cutting room floor, so to speak.

Thinking of you, Gregotyn, as we passed trains stations with such Welsh names as North Wales, Gwynned Valley, and Penlynn. Also Colmar - is that Welsh? Will have to do some research to see if there was a large influx of immigrants from Wales, back in the day.

Edited with an update: meant to say that when I got home yesterday early evening, parked at the bottom and trudged up the driveway the hellebores I passed looked absolutely terrible. Sunday / Monday night's low temperature was 13 degrees F. And when arriving at my friend's house in Pennsylvania for our flower show outing the car's thermometer had a reading of 9 degrees F. Guess it was too soon to take the covers off but how could I know.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 253, 254, 255 ... 423, 424, 425  Next
Page 254 of 425
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive