Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
... the sky is baby blue, and the just-unfurling leaves ...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 257, 258, 259 ... 423, 424, 425  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 17 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue sky and sunshine today for a delightful change in the weather. The rainfall was variable depending on where you where. We ended up with a total of 1.6 inches of rain. Howell (not specifically the living history farm but a report for the community of Howell where it is located) got a whopping 4.28 inches from the slow moving storm. Soggy, to say the least!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 17 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently we are being lucky with the weather, with the forecast sunny and dry. It is supposed to be a little bit cooler this week though, with the risk of a light frost later in the week.

I managed to get some of my potatoes in yesterday, and also sowed the root crop seeds. As things are fairly good at the moment, I thought I would risk just putting them straight in the ground. If they don't work, I will try starting them in seed trays. The onion sets are starting to come up a bit better, and my cabbage and spinach seeds are up.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 17 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunny this morning, now (late afternoon) completely overcast. Rain forecast for tomorrow, Thursday, Friday, weekend.

The upper culvert under the driveway was completely choked closed with wet "felted" leaves slip coated with a skin of soil and mixed with sticks and branches. I forked out better than a dozen large tubs of debris, shuttling two tubs at a time down the driveway on a cart. Some of nice wet leaves with dirt went onto the compost heap, the remainder - leaves / dirt / branches - dumped over a brush heap. More to remove but my back isn't up to it. Had to involve Mr Jam Lord with ATV and trailer for the last two trips down the driveway.

Culvert is clear, can see daylight at the far end. Which is A Good Thing as when we were newly moved here I crawled through both culverts to check them out and am not eager to repeat the event.

Tomorrow afternoon I am going back to my friend the potter and will make some more beads.

gz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 17 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the tail of cyclone Debbie here in Whanganui....24 hours of heavy rain so far, probably at least 48 hours to go....
Heavy showers with heavy rain in between.
We've suddenly gone from 17 degrees by night to 17 by day...,
Thankfully we are not staying anywhere near river level.....

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 17 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't sound too nice Gz. Hope all is well.

Spent the afternoon in the coppice again. Son was doing a little finishing off and husband cut a path back with a brush cutter. I was taking out some thin rods that might be useable or would make cutting the thicker stuff difficult.

Went to have a look lower down in the wood to see what the state of bluebell was. They are thinking about it, but currently definitely anemone time. They are not completely covering the ground with flowers, so either they aren't fully out yet, or it isn't a good year for them. The smell of the two is different too. To me anemones have a 'spicy' smell, whereas the bluebells are a real 'floral' smell. Found one early purple orchid in flower on the track we call Orchid Hill, as that was the first place we saw them. Also found a couple of twayblade with buds in the bottom in an area I hadn't seen them before. Had a look through the coup we are to cut next year, which has some promising areas of hazel, but is going to be grown on as a two layer wood.

Husband and I spent some time up in the yard at the end of the afternoon, and I split out some more weavers for my baskets. I think I probably have about enough for one basket now, but can't make the frame until the jig is made.

cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 17 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a good way to ruin your holiday Gz - sorry to hear that - I could do with a drop of rain here but we have been having clear skies and frosts since daylight savings ended. Today was overcast but at least it is rather milder now - and the fire will not be lit tonight.

The plumber turned up to sort out the roof plumbing of the shed and did a great job - he also fitted a tap for me on the side of the shed and solved a persistent slow leak that has been slowly destroying a weatherboard on the side of the house (and driving me crazy but causing the pump to run periodically as it balanced the loss of pressure). I will now be able to repaint that area and cover up the damage.

I have cleared out a fair bit of the stuff cluttering up the floor of the spare room, though the table saw, various sets of shelving etc are still in there, I should now have space for the contents of the kitchen bathroom and laundry as I slowly sort that lot out. I will ring the vinyl people and find out how much lead time they need before they can come and finally lay the vinyl so I don't end up kitchenless for a month or having them on the door step when I am still half kitchened.

My second dyeing book arrived today and seems less useful than the other though rather stronger on Australian plants and different techniques for applying dye, so I will be pleased to read it more thoroughly on Thursday when I am next in the History Room.

The level of political activity is rising too - there is a move afoot to gather a team of women candidates - a good idea actually as two women standing against each other tend to spread the votes so neither gets in, a team can provide a preferencing ticket and can campaign on behalf of each other. My only concern is the person who is developing the idea is neither politically aware nor a good judge of character and at least two of the people she mentioned I would not touch with a ten foot barge pole as they are more interested in stirring up trouble than solving problems. And at least one of them has recently badly blotted her copy book. Still, it was a good preliminary discussion and I will be contacting a female councillor I know and seeing if we can organise a seminar on 'how to do it' and mentoring process. I would be happy to run on a team ticket as a second-runner as that would reduce my chances of getting in, while raising my profile in case I get more ambitious next time around.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 17 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry I missed you on Saturday am. Cassandra, I must have been asleep. With you talking about an artist using everyday things I am looking to create something using plastic banding as I get so much in a variety of colours-3 different whites-including an ice look-a-like, and several greens, blacks, browns and blues. I am not sure that I am artistic enough, but I fancy a try: I may if there is some resemblance to what it is meant to look like, send you a copy of the picture, but I guess that will be well into the autumn before I can get anywhere with it-sort of don't hold your breath! most likely not hit art status.
Interesting you say ex-RCers are on here Cassandra. I can understand why they don't identify themselves, it was turbulent on occasions, but don't think I trod on anyone's toes-well I tried not to. I would put the picture up now so as not to waste any time not enjoying it; as you do something to the room you can take it down and replace when you want to look at it again, or finished that phase.
You have had a good day, plumber tidying up odds and ends for you. Go for the politics if you can Cassandra, all good fun, even though a serious subject; rattle as many cages as you can, sometimes the occupant falls out, then you can step on them!

See you all on Thursday.

The toby jugs were very small, 3", MR, and he charged a modest price each for their bulk order, I guess around £2 each, and he did hundreds at a time so that the brewery never ran out of stock-fascinating to watch.
I am glad the show went well for you the aim of selling your stock is all you want with a bit of 'banter' I always barter if I can but rarely successfully. If I am interested in anything then I am prepared to pay the price, just like to barter if possible. Always good to meet up with old friends. I expect to see the picture of son in the Daily Mail, I will look for the pole lathe after I have done the Sudoku.
I have seen my first primroses out in bulk on 3 separate banks on the side of the road, I am saying they are new, but it may be I have missed them in the past driving too fast as I do sometimes.

Glad the weather has turned a little bit for you Jam Lady, !.6inches is more than I want at a time, it is always damp at my place. I would reserve culvert crawling for the WOOFer-S, Jam Lady, it is not a sport! and if you have woofer coming you may as well use them.

I was wondering how, and if, Debbie had affected you, gz, on your travels, take care.

gz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 17 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are here for another month yet
I needed a break from the heavy training regime anyway! Just ticking over on their home trainer.
Whanganui River is up to her banks in town, almost over the boardwalk. They have use water bags to block the slipways further up. Houses both sides of the river are being evacuated just in case, but with an ease in the rain this morning it might nt reach the 2015 peak. We'll see by tomorrow breakfast time.
Landslips have again closed SH4 up the Paraparas...just after they celebrated its 100th birthday last Saturday with a vintage and veteran car and bus run, and a horse and cart walk into Raetehi..where the road is also closed today.
The Whanganui River Road has suffered more slips as well having not long been reopened.
But the Tui birds are singing as the rain eases after yet another heavy shower and Blackbirds are busy shouting alarm calls....

cassandra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 17 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well at least they got their re-enactment done before the skies opened. I guess that's something, but there is nothing more depressing than several days of rain in a row, particularly when you feel obliged to be out and about dealing with flood risks.

It's been a quiet day today - I processed the remainder of the Ryeland fleece and will keep the unused portion for another day. I have yet to spin two more bobbins to ply, but should have another couple of bobbins worth in stock for future use. I had to stop to let a flock of rather nice looking suffolks cross the road today so I asked the farmer if I could put my name down for a fleece when they are next clipped (November). It will be good to try out that particular fleece!

Meanwhile I spotted a silverfish on the bathroom floor, so after dispatching it went into town for some camphor balls which are now in each of the tubs containing fleece or tops. Some still not in tubs, which will have to be bought next time i am passing a Pound store, so they will have to take pot luck I am afraid. Surely the fumes from all the other camphor balls will have some benefit.

I have found a home for my kitchen table which will not fit once the kitchen is reconfigured and it will be collected on Friday. Meanwhile I am using it as a surface as I store some of the more fragile things that will have to be wrapped in sheeting before stowing somewhere safe (probably the future craft room I suspect) before the major upheaval begins (don't hold your breath).

I have another day in the History Room tomorrow so will use it to pore over my new book and see how I can use it. And spin some more Ryeland fleece and knit a bit more scarf.

Politics - not keen on getting involved again, but have indicated a willingness to go on the 'ticket' if they want to have a team (but only if I am happy with their first choice candidate as I don't want my copy book to be blotted by being associated with some potential folk.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 17 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What level of politics are you aiming for Cassandra? Is it town or state? I agree about seeing who they pick as lead because, as you say, you don't want to get associated with anyone unsatisfactory in any way.

Good about the plumber. Husband managed to cure a persistent leak for a friend when he did a bit of plumbing for her. All her other plumbers had failed, and it was only putting mastic round the overflow in the bath.

Gz, hope it gets back to normal as soon as possible and there are no more floods or landslides.

We fired the retort kiln yesterday, but as it was damp and it had rained on the wood overnight, it took a while for it to dry out enough to get to the retort stage. I left husband and son to supervise it and made 3 besom heads and then while it was firing, did some more weavers for a potential basket. Seems best to deal with one or two rods at a time as I find it rather tiring on the hands, and a job I can do as a fill in, so not much time actually spent working on it. The weather yesterday was dull and damp; just the sort of weather you want for a kiln firing, but it is nice again today.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 17 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had a really good sunny day, not too hot, but very pleasant. The library looks over a playgroup's play area and the children are playing outside and shouting away enjoying themselves. And no mishaps at work, all gone very smoothly, I think a first in about 9 years or so. Could today be summer? Well I hope it is a taste of the weather to come for a week or so as I will be moving into my place after a few years of doing it up.
My new shed is complete and I am starting to put stuff-products of life-into it, so it looks a lot smaller now! He, the chap who built it, recommended twice as big as I wanted, and, sigh, he was right! Bit like mortgage advice, get one you think you can afford in 5 years time! I have a roof to put back up elsewhere to accommodate a few other bits and pieces, a trailer to rebuild and so on. But all being well.....actually I will make a start on Saturday pm., in serious mode to remove as much as I can and stow it out of the way or out of sight at least. I have a large pile of scrap to deal with, but that will keep for a week or so. I only have a small trailer to use, so lots of trips-at least I won't get tired having too much heaving all at once, but more costs in fuel terms. My main annoyance with me is that when the digger was there I should have had a round the premises ring road, now I will have to disconnect the trailer to turn it round! My hindsight is sound though!
Glad you have done some charcoal MR., summer must be on its way, please!

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 17 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thunderstorm today. My mantra is April showers = May flowers. Also mud.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 17 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Break in the rain. Mr Jam Lord took a look outside. Then called for me

Good thing I cleared the culvert mouth on Monday

Here's the outflow at the opposite end of the same culvert

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 17 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are finally in a position to move Gregotyn. If you are doing it yourself it may take a few journeys, and get some help with any heavy bits.

As you say, just as well you cleared the culverts Jam Lady. We have been fortunate with the weather over the last few days and it has been lovely. Looks good again today.

We spent some time in the coppice yesterday. Son found it too hot wearing chainsaw trousers, and we were down to polo shirts and trousers for other work. I was working up some rods which we then bundled up and took back to the yard. They are now sorted and stored, and most of them are pretty good quality.

Sadly we didn't get as much charcoal as we hoped for, but got it out of the kiln for bagging and dispatch today. Had one of our outlets phone yesterday morning saying they had someone asking about besoms, and how much could I supply for. Lucky I mentioned I had been making them when I went in Wednesday. I made a couple of the handles yesterday, so they are ready to go together now.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 17 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least the water is running, Jam Lady, it was only 3 weeks ago, if I remember, that you were getting rid of snow now you seem to be getting rid of its water! It looks an efficient drain and by its size it has a lot to go before the water won't get away through the pipe. I am assuming the pipe is of the type which has slits in to allow the water to get in at any stage during its downward descent to a stream/river. I have a feeling that the gusto would clear the mouth of the culvert for you, judging by the speed it is coming out! or maybe it is because you cleaned the inlet and outlet that it is flowing so well!

Today is a lovely day warm and sunny.
It was good at 5 am when I set off for work and has improved all the time. I am doing the move myself MR., slowly and deliberately; I want to put stuff where it should be once and not just down-anywhere. I don't have too much that is heavy, that sort of thing never got as far as the caravan-diverted to the house straight away, years ago.

Does the fact that you got less charcoal than expected mean that different timbers produce different quantities of charcoal-even if you always fill to the same point? I am sure different woods would produce differing qualities of charcoal, open /tight grained and so on, certainly the case with logs for heat, or seems to be.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 257, 258, 259 ... 423, 424, 425  Next
Page 258 of 425
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive