Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
... the sky is baby blue, and the just-unfurling leaves ...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 267, 268, 269 ... 423, 424, 425  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 17 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started to reorganise the loungeroom to fit the prospective sofa in. It involved removing the various bookshelves that have been stuck against a wall for lack of any room in the spare bedroom (aka the library/study) and also hauled out the building materials so the entire room is now free of extraneous items (well, maybe one wall still has stuff against it but that is the wall that serves as part of the walkway from one part of the house to another). This revealed all manner of horrors.

Some may recall that when I first moved here, my water supply was barely enough for bathing and cooking, so not much cleaning got done at that point. And since then these parts of the room have been hidden under 'stuff' since then, I had forgotten that there are parts of the house that have yet to get scrubbed. And modern scrubbing brushes just aren't up to the job. Fortunately our local garden ornament shop stocks some rather nice German scrubbing brushes with proper bristles, so have bought one to attack the floor with tomorrow. Before doing that, of course it was necessary to sweep and vaccum. The sweeping was sufficient unto the task, but vacuuming was useless. My Dyson was bought in NZ, and has travelled around with me for some time, but has of recent times, been less than efficient. I pulled it apart, washed all the washable bits and the air filter (after vaccing it with the workshop vac) and put it back together again and still made little progress. So I spat the dummy and threw it in the back of the ute.

Today I took it to the vac shop and traded it in on a Hoover that has a power head and is bagless. While I was there I popped next door as they were having an end of financial year sale (our financial year ends 30 June) and picked up a Dishlex dishwasher for half price and also a couple of lengths of timber that I will be using to solve the mystery of the door reveal that was not wide enough to cover the end of the new plaster wall I put in the kitchen way back when.

Home once more, dog walked, cats fed etc, I dug out the new machine and played with it. The rug I had vacced with the old vac yielded three capsules full of dirt (this was after the previous vac had had a go and I had swept it with a straw broom), and will need another go over once i have had my dinner. Once that is done it will be sprinkled with epsom salts, rolled up and put in the shed till I have hauled up the two layers of worn linoleum that remain of the floor covers I inherited (hidden under seven layers of carpet as I recall) and attack the floor with the scrubbing brush before cutting a hole in it to provide a pier to support the bearer that is presently swaying in the breeze. Meanwhile I still have bits of the kitchen to pull apart preparatory to the lino being installed - it's never dull. It is a public holiday on Monday, so the bank will be cleaned tomorrow - was too excited with my new toys to do it today!

The purpose of all this exercise was to be able to house the prospective new lounge suite, but now I can't afford it. Sigh. So I will have to make do with the current one, and restore a couple of the battered chairs I have lurking in dark corners, so that I can accommodate more people comfortably. Never mind. Freecycle may yet produce something even nicer.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 17 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your Dyson had a bag it must be a pretty old one, as they have been advertising bagless ones here for years. Our vacuum cleaners aren't really suited for carpets, but as we only have them in the bedrooms, that isn't really much of a problem. We have a wet/dry one, which is sometimes useful, and more recently bought a 'Henry' which is easier to get upstairs. I still have to use a brush first though as so much dust, mud and sawdust gets brought in. I thought as son grew up he would attract less dirt, but somehow it hasn't worked like that.

Yesterday we emptied the big kiln and bagged up most of the contents. We have to re-sieve the bottoms of the dumpy sacks, and that should give us a few more bags, and we still have to empty and sieve the little kiln, so hoping for about 10 more bags total. Son went off with 20 bags for one of our outlets that sold out last weekend, but the weather hasn't been good since, so hopefully they didn't lose any sales. After all the bad weather, it has turned a lot nicer today, so lets hope we have a few good days.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 17 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Dyson with a bag MR-second hand when I got it as the company thought they would buy a new one, when nothing wrong with the old one-the last 5 years with me!
I am glad you were able to empty the kilns, because the weather may be good with you MR, but it is pouring down here and annoying, as I am going to fetch a gate and some logs from a friend who is moving. Due to a family feud he who has lived on the family farm for over 60 years is being kicked out because of a will left some years ago. This chap-70yo-was kept at the farm by granny and grandad to help on the farm whilst his brothers went to another farm with his parents. Schooling only took place for this chap when they didn't need him to work. Anyway he has given me first pull on what is there so I am going today to collect as much as he wants me to have. I offered to sell logs for him at the weekends from my farm gate but he didn't say yes at the time about 6 weeks ago and now it is a rush. He gave me an old farm horse drawn potato ridger a few weeks ago. I wanted him to help me move some stuff I have under a barn to store his logs, but he didn't so the logs will have to be outside under a sheet and hopefully prop the sides up to stop them moulding. I guess there is around 10 dumpy bags full-except they are loose-one by one-job, today and tomorrow I expect!

You are very busy Cassandra, I don't know how you do so much, mind I smoked for 50 years so I guess I am bound to be slower now, not an excuse I like to use-because it isn't, and I wish I.. but I did! When you say proper scrubbing brushes are the bristles fairly rigid? I have just bought 2 of them and they are not up to scratch, they were however, cheap and therefore nasty! However I would go for the new suite because that is what you have done all this for, and draw in the horns for a few weeks, but you have got what you wanted. That is the way I would go, as the opportunity to get that suite at that price may not arise again.
I need to go and get on-see you all Tuesday!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 17 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the help or our Volunteer Group, husband and son did the deer fencing they wanted to do. I went with the less active group to look at the flora. Found a few interesting things including one we have not yet fully identified and a sedge that isn't fully identified either. I will have to go back in a few weeks and have another look.

After that we managed to get the little kiln emptied and another 10 bags of charcoal sorted. The firing on the little kiln was pretty good, but we didn't pack it quite as tightly as it could have been as the wood wasn't all straight and knot free. Still, pretty good result.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 17 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back from conference, got home Saturday evening. Of course our indoor / lecture days were delightful weather outdoors, the post-conference Saturday tour was the start of a heat wave which continued yesterday at 32 degrees Celsius. And will be the same today. I have a number of plants to get into the ground. Strange? Not very. There were 14 vendors of native plants at the conference and 2 of the three stops on the Saturday tour were nurseries. But with these conditions my focus is on watering - the digging will wait.

Some really, really excellent lectures - one on efforts to develop American chestnut resistant to the blight and a fascinating presentation on salvage / restoration of Brooklyn Bridge Park (a totally artificial landscape of native plants built on Hudson river piers that was flooded with salt water in Hurricane Sandy.) Another interesting lecture on assisted diversification for the anthropocene. Those were 3 of the full audience lectures. The concurrent session lectures I attended were O.K. but not as superb.

Slowly working on entries for my web site. To titivate you, here's an image from the pre-conference dinner Saturday evening (the fee included transportation in a yellow school bus.)

This is the Columbia Wrightsville bridge over the Susquehanna River. Opened in September 1930, and at just under a mile long it is said to be the world's longest concrete multiple arch bridge.

The food was delicious too.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 17 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you had a good time Jam Lady, when you are a "planter" then it is always interesting, if only to hear other views, whether you agree or not doesn't matter; another person's angle may help you over come a soil problem or whatever. Blight seems to affect all types of plants, the one who breeds resistance makes a lot of money till the blight mutates and off the plant breeders go again looking for the gene they need to fight the mutant.
I love the bridge even though it would be a no-no for me to travel on-phobia problem.

My Dyson has a bag, MR, and it works and it cost me nothing as a throw out! Yes I hope the weather remains good for you with the charcoal sales. Funnily enough the company who slung the Dyson bought a 'Henry' as a replacement, works well too! My mother banned all work clothes to the back kitchen, and you had a shower before you went in the house-all changed after we moved, no back kitchen c/w shower!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 17 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds as if you had a good time Jam Lady. The talk on chestnut blight sounds particularly interesting as I think it has just been detected in the UK. They are doing their best to contain it and chestnut gall wasp too, but with Chelara ash die back we are not looking at a rosy future at the moment in forestry.

Weather here is good too, and quite warm.

I try to contain the dirt a bit Gregotyn, but somehow it still works its way over the whole ground floor and tries to infiltrate upstairs too.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 17 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several ash 'weed' trees, naturally they appear healthy, especially as
3 of those are growing next to the house, garage, and one of the outbuildings-sod's law. Weather warm but windy today. I am going home in a moment or two to help a friend fell the remains of 4 elm trees, victims of the Dutch elm disease, however I am so pleased that there are several new elms growing there, all seem healthy touch wood! I am inheriting some, well a lot, of logs from a friend who is moving to a centrally heated bungalow; what is the going rate for a full large dumpy bag, delivered, say 5 miles? anyone, any ideas? And the going rate for a standard fertiliser/ feed bag of logs from the farm gate? I know my local spar shop sells 9 logs in a net for nearly £5-they are almost 350mm long, seems a lot of money to me, but he gets a lot of week-enders shopping there.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 17 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

round here a dumpy bag is £80 approx for dry hardwood, how full they are depends how they were packed

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 17 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are probably more expensive than round your way Gregotyn, but we are selling a cu yd. dumpy sack for £60. That is what we call a half load. A cu m dumpy sack would be anything from £80-£110 round here.

Weather is good with us too.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 17 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou MR and dpack for the prices I suspected that £50-£60 was going to be the price round here due to the number of people doing logs and the numbers using them. I will have to undercut to get in the market for one year only-don't tell anyone where I live! I tried with a friend to sell her a large dumpy bag at £60, but she has bought at £50 so is not going to budge. I will have to come off my high horse, eat humble pie, and have another go at her husband to buy at £50, when they are ready that is! It was another friend who told me that it was £80, for a dumpy bag, but I guess as a new comer they saw him coming, which when I heard, sent the £ signs rolling through my eyes!

The weather is too good to be thinking about logs, but I have sold my first lot of winter kindling to a lady who having tried a sample last year used around 5 bags in all, and asked for this year's to be delivered asap-only too willing to oblige madam; 3 bags gone and 2 more to do!

The weather here is very good at the moment-dry windy and warm and sunny-ideal for visitors here in sunny mid Wales-tomorrow is another day, and to string 3 days together in a row may be a day too many. I hope the weather is good for all of you wherever you are.

Really busy at work at the moment, every farmer is at last doing some maintenance on his/her machines.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 17 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does depend on the size of the dumpy sack Gregotyn. £80 for a full cu m isn't bad, but a cu yd, or 1 ton sand dumpy sack is about £50-£60.

Down here work has already started on silage and hay making, so the maintenance should have been done by now. I suppose soon after the hay is in the other crops will be coming along, although they aren't anything like fully grown at the moment.

cassandra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 17 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They Dyson was bagless - the industrial strength machine has a bag - it is my standby and usually lives in the shed as I have lost the heads for it (so only use it for getting under stuff and doing corners indoors). The heads from the new machine fit it though, so as I waited for the air filter to dry after I washed it, I used the IS one. It's all good. I now have 3 vacs - those two and a cordless one that will not be deployed till the vinyl goes down. It has a detachable hand-held bit that has been useful for things further up the wall.

I have been watching the fire in London in horror for the last few days - it is consuming the news here too. I pray for their souls.

The day today was a busy one that involved going to Hobart to talk to the shed people about the footings they had installed for my awning (they are 500mm further out from the house than they should be), sorting out a solution, buying paint and other such bits and bobs, visiting a friend and then visiting Steph at her home in the hope of sorting out the History Room's Facebook page. It is still not sorted out and we could not work out how to get the internet to work. Sigh. I tried. I have suggested she gets her son to load it onto her new phone and will try from there. Still, the visit to her home was lovely. They own one of the larger properties in these parts, and the house was built shortly after it was settled. The kitchen is in the new addition (built in 1840!) and has a lovely fuel stove, and she took me on a tour of the house which has about 8 attic rooms (surprisingly, as the downstairs does not seem large enough to accommodated that). It was great to see someone else has rooms full of 'stuff' as well.

Gregotyn, I still smoke! and am nearly up to 50 years of doing so (45 years), so no - that is no excuse at all! Though it is on 'the list' to stop doing it. I will have to get my act together to go see my friend who does hypnosis as all other methods have failed so far. I am too good at 'self-talk' and so need someone to switch that off.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 17 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassandra, if had I carried on smoking I would be dead by now, and only gave up when someone in the factory said would I go to the other canteen as they didn't want me to die in the one I was in! But I loved every minute of it, but oh boy I am richer than I would have been if I had carried on with the weed. I smoked for 50 years and am one of the lucky ones, I only needed stents in my arteries, could have been a bypass-no fun at all. I watched the operation and that was very enlightening and interesting-I have been smoke free since 2009. However I enjoyed smoking whilst I was doing it, and understand how it took over me. Money up in smoke!
8 attics in a house is some serious size of property and I would be letting them out.
I don't have a tv but the pictures of the London fire in the paper have been horrendous. Someone, somewhere will be in a spot of bother! and rightly so.

I only have the small, 1 ton dumpy sack, I am hoping that my 7ft by 4ft Ivor Williams trailer will be the same size as the dumpy sack-throw a load in and drive away and today will be the test I am going to drop off my storage box at home then go to collect some logs in the trailer then come back and put it in the bag, results on Tuesday if all goes to plan!

We are getting ready at work for some silage and hay to be cut, but not for a week or so where I am for silage bales. The clamp men will be another month, except my friend who does nothing till August and then usually gets his hay in before his silage as he wants bulk fill belly food rather than quality silage, and feeds corn out of the bag. Our customers at work are all coming in for their silage net and wrap now ready for first cut. And of course we are also selling spare parts and machines, ready for action. I've loaded about 20 packs of black wrap this morning and I only went to collect a large box 8ft x 4ft x3ft deep-for storing logs. Another one to be collected on Monday.

I hope Jam Lady is well.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 17 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That house sounds amazing Cassandra. They are fortunate to be able to keep it up themselves; most here get turned into flats, or hotels if in a suitable place.

I think the repercussions of the London fire will go on for some time, and rightly so. The inquests will no doubt look at the 'why' and if someone was negligent. In the meantime the survivors have to be rehoused and found food and new basic belongings. I understand that there have been so many donations of food and emergency bedding etc. that the charities involved have asked for no more for the moment. Nice to know people are so generous.

You should be able to get your dumpy sack on your trailer Gregotyn. We put two in the back of our Ranger truck. Currently it is all go for charcoal. All the stuff we bagged last week is accounted for, so we will have to do another firing of the little kiln this week at least. Weather is being unreasonably hot at the moment, so we are keeping out of the sun as far as possible.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 267, 268, 269 ... 423, 424, 425  Next
Page 268 of 425
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive