Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
... the sky is baby blue, and the just-unfurling leaves ...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 285, 286, 287 ... 423, 424, 425  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 17 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internet is a great place to dispose of unwanted stuff, even junk. Freecycle (which seems to be defunct at present as I have seen no posts from there for ages) was excellent - you would often spot something you had thought you would have to pay for and could get it for nothing. Some I found wanted you to take everything when you really only wanted one thing, but I would fill up the ute and often found a neighbour who wanted what was surplus to requirements.

It's actually a very peaceful place Gregotyn - only some families engage in this sort of thing, so I am quite safe as they do it to each other. Multigenerational feuds by people with too much time on their hands and insufficient education to work out there are better ways. I have caused quite a stir in the village because if I tell someone I will call the police it is not an empty threat (as they assume it to be as they don't want the police anywhere near them).

As for the former PM - if anyone deserves a smack in the face it was him and the bloke who did it was an aging skinhead with a face full of piercings and three sheets to the wind. Since the former PM is not shy about drinking and was outside a pub at the time, well - two middle aged men engaging in biffo outside a pub while both half full. It would n't have had any coverage at all if the assailant had not been wearing a 'Yes' badge and the former PM had not been a "No" campaigner.

That said we had a party down at the Rec Ground last night which was accompanied by fireworks and much jollification that had me a bit concerned for the stallion next door, but he seems to have coped. And this morning, those who slept over decided to take some potshots at the hares that live down there. So having a rifle discharged a hundred metres from the back door was a bit disconcerting, haha.

Had two very garrulous visitors at the History Room today so was late leaving (very irritating as I usually knock off at 3:30 on Sundays), but was given some interesting social history which I have written down and will type up later. When I have had my dinner and relaxed a little.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 17 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the pictures you have posted it looks generally very peaceful. You don't have as many people or cars as we do, although probably more sheep. Having said that, our hills are pretty well dotted with sheep too.

Spent both days of the weekend in the woods in case the motorbike riders came back, but luckily they didn't. They either just wanted to visit or were put off by the FB comments showing so many people didn't want them there, and that we were more than willing to call the police.

I managed to make a couple of besom handles yesterday and went over my spoons again checking that they were as smooth as needed. Found that I hadn't really finished one, so dealt with that.

Autumn is coming on apace here with the leaves starting to turn. Plus is that I have lots of vegetables in the garden, so potatoes, onions, squash, courgette, kale, Savoy and chard with dinner last night with the (bought) chicken.

cassandra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 17 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a lot of sheep - and more every day as the lambing has started. Cute little white lamb chops gambolling around the place being unbearably cute!

I finished the grant application today all bar some financial stuff that I can not answer so have sent off a shopping list of questions to the treasurer, and am chasing up the last letter of support tomorrow - she hasn't done it and is now not back on duty until the day after the grant application is due!! I am in contact with her colleague who will hopefully come up with the goods.

We have a Garden Tour tomorrow to raise money for the History Room, so have to be in early with an armload of apricot blossoms (assuming they didn't blow off today) baked slices (bought from the local supermarket and 'modified' to look home made), and sundry other things that I must get organised tonight as I will be in a rush in the morning.

Bank cleaned, fire lit (going for a frost tonight) and feeling chuffed as I have three skeins done toward the new vest. Only yellow, and three shades of brown to go, though they will take more time as they are coming from raw fleece and must be washed, trimmed of their faded bits and flicked before spinning. At least, the palest one will not be trimmed of faded bits, but the two darker shades will be.

I have concluded that since a sample block must be done to check tension and needle size I will finish it with a stitch holder then add to it with each pattern so I end up with a sampler of possible designs that I can use for displays at shows or other places I am doing demonstration spinning.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 17 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our lambs have grown to real lamb chop size now as we are in autumn, and aren't really distinguishable from their mothers. Lambs are sweet, but so are piglets, and they are even worse than sheep for uncuteness when they grow up!

Hope you manage to get all the bits you need for your grant application.

I went to a meeting yesterday about a grant application we want to make. I thought I had it more of less sorted for the expression of interest, but there could be other possibilities. The overall process seems designed to put you off, and you must get 3 quotations even if the item you want is the only one of its type. Tricky. It is EU money, but the British Government have put so many bells and whistles on the process that we may end up handing a lot of it back to Europe if we leave. No doubt you have experience of that from the past Cassandra.

Weather damp here; drizzle all morning and into afternoon where I was yesterday. I used the Park and Ride system for Winchester yesterday and it was pretty good. Only problem I had was finding a parking space as all the car parks looked full as people park at the front. Found one pretty easily in the end, found the loos which were quite clean, then bus every 15 minutes to town centre just where I wanted to be. For a long visit or if there is more than 1 in the car it is pretty economical too and no hassle trying to find parking.

cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 17 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We started with a hard frost which boded well as today was the History Room's Garden Tour. This has been in organisation for several months, but only happened today and I was on duty so was unable to go see the garden (actually I saw it yesterday when I dropped out the urn, but that's another story).

Since I was sure it was going to be a chaos of people doing their own thing I got in at 8:30 so I could organise the basics like lighting the wood heater, clearing the decks for placing tables and generally getting my head around things before people laden with food arrived, we set up the urn and so forth. Then the guests arrived for their morning tea and tour of our museum and the garden Patti has developed around the cottage, and off they went.

While they were there Steph kept telling to to talk to the people, so I was off doing the social rounds and having conversations with various visitors, but it turns out she wanted me to give a speech! Once this was finally clear I mustered my courage and welcomed them all, drew their attention to my raffle (I offered a beanie - tickets a dollar each, their choice of style among the ones currently knitted), the competition to name the cottage (some truly dreadful suggestions, but one or two more acceptable ones), and told them they would have a lovely day.

After they left I fielded a call from the person whose letter of recommendation is still in the offing, did the dishes, tidied up the tables and collapsed in a corner. But not for long as various committee members not on the tour insisted on calling in to chat about the activity, the takings and so forth. The good news is it was all worth while as we raised almost $800.00!! The raffle will be drawn on Friday as I had not expected to sell as many tickets as we did, but has so far raised $50.00 (which is ten more than the beanies actually sell for, so an excellent result).

But I am so tired, I am falling asleep on the sofa and trying hard to remain awake long enough to get a good night's sleep. How the other volunteers are, who actually went on the tour, is beyond me!

I also took control of the Facebook page at long last, so will do a little work on that tomorrow once I have the grant application sorted.

Early to bed tonight, that's for sure.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 17 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have measured my net, and the supplier's nearest are of 2 sizes, one is longer and slightly fatter; the other is much fatter, but shorter. He is sending samples so all I can do is hope and take it from there. When the samples arrive I will check my chute and see which one comes out nearest. What I am hoping is that the short fat one will stretch enough to match what I am currently using without having to cut a lot of wood a different size. I am annoyed as it is my customer who bought the last lot and supplied me, but his computer didn't retain the information. And of course he expected the machine to keep that sort of info for ever as would I!!
I should get home to a parcel on the doorstep give or take a day-thank you for the pm, MR.
I hope all well in the woods. It is besom time shortly our leaves are beginning to turn and in some cases are falling. Glad the w/e was biker free.

The former PM got what he was asking for, seems strange to me that men feel the need to fight. I wouldn't do it words are how these things always end, why get hurt for the sake of a bit of bravado? I guess it is age for me now, 20 years ago-who knows? Hare for dinner then? I am in the most populated country for sheep they say, but I would have thought that NZ. was more so, just what the locals tell me.

I am impressed with the impromptu speech. I would be useless if I hadn't got a few notes prepared for a speech and nervous generally, I don't do public speaking often, but when I have to, it is pre-prepared and short!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 17 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds as if you had a busy but productive day Cassandra. Sounds like a really good one, and glad so many people turn up. There is nothing worse than organising something and then nobody coming. What is the cottage with the garden?

Gregotyn, you need to make a note and save anything you really want on computers. Put it into a special file and make sure you know which file it is. You can't just leave things on e-mail for evermore unfortunately.

Did a few more log sacks yesterday and walked round the wood putting up the latest signs at the entrances; 'Autumn in the Woods'. We put up seasonal signs to let people know what is going on, felling, extraction, coppicing, flowers to look out for etc. This one is partly a warning about fruit and fungi and that some are poisonous. Obvious to people on here of course, but less so to some townspeople who are used to a safe environment (apart from traffic).

cassandra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 17 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't talk to me about emails - I had my entire financial records for the house in the UK on Hotmail, but they deleted the lot! I was hysterical till it turned out the agency and the bank had both established websites that allowed me to download the financial stuff at least.

I did get the grant application in at any rate - the last letter arrived last night and the treasurer magicked up three years of totals (income, outgo, assets etc) which he had to deliver to the History Room as he doesn't know how email works (sigh). It is bewildering to me that someone who is a grazier who runs goodness knows how many sheep on extensive acreage but doesn't know how to operate a computer! Anyway, it was delivered in a timely manner and I was able to get it all together and in three hours ahead of the deadline - too close for my liking but still comfortable.

And I spotted an announcement for a parade of the Tasmanian Light Horse (an actual re-enactment of the charge at the Battle of Beersheba) down in Hobart and asked if they would do a parade in Oatlands - and they seem to be discussing it with some interest. Two other community groups have indicated support on the same discussion so hopefully we can get something going. November 11 would be good as it is a Saturday as well as Remembrance Day) and a parade would be a lovely way to commemorate that. So waiting with bated breath.

Council's heritage officer (my former boss when I was cleaning cottages) is coming to visit me at the History Room tomorrow to talk turkey about various things so I will see if I can get him on board as well.

All very exciting!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 17 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You certainly seem to be making things happen at the History Room. In the UK the grazier would have to be able to use a computer as the government in their wisdom has decided that everything has to be done on computer, so any dealings with official bodies are that way. Silly if you ask me because connection isn't perfect in some places, and as people have been saying, things can get lost. Only needs a minor catastrophe for the government web site to go too.

I wasn't needed to do a firewood delivery yesterday afternoon, so I dug potatoes instead. We were hoping to do some mowing in the woods but although the weather had been dry for 2 days, it was still and rather humid, so the grass and bracken was still soaking, so no mowing. Now have all the potatoes dug anyway, and the onions cleared. Need to dig the 3 beds over thoroughly and the compost heap can be turned onto one of them, which should make it suitable for onions next year.

Was given what to me is a good present the other evening; an empty cooking oil can. I can cut it up to make the metal bindings for gypsy pegs, so need to practise them. Another item I can make for the shows. I have a few I made that I use on the washing, but only really suitable for thin woven cloth like sheets and shirts.

cassandra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 17 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the whole reliance on technology is all very well when you have a signal and the software works, but a bit of a crisis when it doesn't. I report on line for my benefits every fortnight. First they transferred to a portal site which lost my new details so I could not log on, so I got an app. Last week when I tried to use the app I found it would not let me report so I had to phone them and talk them through the reporting process, haha.

Today I had my visit from the heritage officer but it was cut short as he had to dash off again, but basically they want us to hold spare keys to the closed historic buildings that have self-guided tours, so I said yes even though it is a bit of extra work for the volunteers (taking and returning deposits) because we can't complain about Council not helping us if we don't help them.

The FB page now has a new photo of t'mill taken this morning en route to the History Room and seems to have garnered a positive response. It has even spurred Stephanie to respond to your question Chris - the one in 'Reply' is me, the additional post is Steph.

The situation at Council is becoming interesting once more. One of the Councillors - a lovely chap with strong moral fibre - has decided to resign. Despite his moral strength he is not going to be much of a loss as he is basically a seatwarmer - he had decided not to run last time but stood because the Mayor asked him to when he found out how many extra candidates there were. That means a recount to fill his space but there are a couple of other candidates ahead of me on the tally so I am not at risk of prematurely entering Council. It does mean that there will be one fewer familiar candidate at the next election though, so an actual vacancy with any luck.

I sorted the drawer in the filing cabinet called "grants' today and found documentation about grants, tourism, future plans, community consultation, roving curators and goodness knows what else. It still contains most of these headings, but the grants are limited to the actual applications (as opposed to the ten copies of 'how to fill in the form' associated with each application and five copies of letters of recommendation and ...) The financial records are all being archived, the really old grant applications ditto and so too the tourism info relating the the organisation before last. And the bin is rather full.

I will do the same to all the admin files (we have five drawers of admin files, for goodness sake) and narrow it down to stuff we actually need, archiving or binning the rest. And that may well free up some space to allow us to have a less cramped set of files for 'families'. I am also trying to limit the admin to one filing cabinet so the other cabinets can be history stuff - at present each cabinet contains a bit of each. In the grants section I have also created a document that contains all relevant info for a grant application - bank account details, incorporation details, that sort of thing - so that anyone filling in an application has it all at their fingertips rather than having to call on half a dozen different sources to find it. Electronic copy is in the computer also.

So once again I am feeling more than a little knackered and will be heading off to bed early.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 17 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You girls are making me feel tired, you get through so much. I suppose that as I am getting up and out in the mornings by 5 am I am bound to be getting tired by mid afternoon.
I am reaching to the stage with computering to think I may have to go on another course in order to learn to type other than as the hen pecks-I use both hands, but can't control any more than a finger on each hand at once.

It is all happening for you Cassandra, and hope it all happens as you want it, and how you want it to, and in a sensible time scale. I often think that files are only of use at the time of filing, somewhere to put the piece of paper, without throwing away, but never going to be seen again. Don't overdo the "other works" stuff, you have a home and livestock who rely on, and love you. I, as you can tell, am cautious-some would say lazy!

I had a delivery yesterday, thank you, MR. Our postman is good he left me a note to say there is a parcel and where, saves a 30 mile trip. I have got nowhere as yet with the kindling nets, still waiting for the samples and hoping. I hope the notices don't attract the wrong folks into the woods again.
You are right I need to do more with the 'save info.' on computer files, but the problem is I don't know how to start doing that. there are friends who would help and as they will be the ones to benefit they would have no reason to share said information with anyone else.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 17 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did rather wonder about the reply as it suggested I visited the mill. As I said, rather a long trip. Still, she was kind enough to reply.

Glad you got the parcel Gregotyn. That should keep you out of mischief for a day of two. If you go out at 5am I am not surprised that you are tired by afternoon. I wake up later than that, so that gives me a few more hours later in the day.

I made up some more log sacks yesterday, and briefly managed a total of 100, but then 50 went off to one of our outlets, so back to make up the shortfall again. I want to have plenty in store as one outlet tends to want 60, and with any luck should be ordering soon, and the one from yesterday will want about 50 a month, so plenty to keep me busy.

Yesterday evening I put on a former hat and presented a prize at the college my father used to help at. One lad wasn't able to come at all, as he is at University somewhere, another sent his parents to get the certificate, and the third just made it, coming from London. He is at Uni too, and just starting his course, which he is really enjoying. Not his first choice, but will give him a career with any luck.

cassandra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 17 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was awake at five this morning - I have not been sleeping effectively - not aware of waking up, but not feeling refreshed. I suspect I need to remove the light blanket as it feels like I do when I get too hot.

Steph is finding the new activity on the page a bit wearing as her phone keeps going ping - but seems pleased with the result.

We obtained our small grant from Council so that is our front windows sorted - UV resistant laminated glass will increase security and also reduce fading of items on display.

I have also had feedback from the roving curator about my ideas that I sent her, and she seems favourable. We will be seeking funding to have someone come and teach us textiles conservation practice and learn how to make padded coat hangers - I think we all know how to do that, but perhaps there are tricks? Meanwhile I will start squirreling away shoulder pads which I feel will be pretty essential at least for the lighter knits. And getting our current batch of volunteers to participate in workshops might be a challenge. I will ask around my sewing friends and see if any are interested.

It seems we have had workshops in the past on various subjects, but the person who attended has not passed on the information or has left us by various means (sometimes in a coffin), so clearly we need to prepare manuals that contain the information in a coherent and accessible form. It seems we have software for accessioning our contents too, not excel, but a purpose designed one (I found references to it while rummaging in the drawers but did not realise what it was they were talking about. So clearly I will have to hunt through the old computer and see if I can find it! No point asking for a grant for something we already have somewhere. And the Council museologist can show me how it works.

Tomorrow they say it will be snow to 300m, but it is still pretty warm at present, so I won't hold my breath.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 17 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think effective sleep is important, Cassandra. I seem to wake up at silly hours during the night, and sometimes I am glad about that! However, it is normally a wake up for no reason at all, and that is so annoying. I do a lot of Sudoku and often wake up glasses on, pen in hand a few hours later, equally annoying.
Pleased the grant came through, makes all the hard work worth doing when you get a reward, and for something worth having. You can conduct the textile conservation course on line for us. I have had family things rot which were from the early 1800's, samplers and so on which I would have liked to have kept, but have 'gone' as they say. Then again I have no family to pass the work on to so I suppose it is not such a tragedy, but still a minor social loss.

You have got a lot of log orders on the go MR, I will be delighted if I sell 20 bags this year, pitching the price will be the hardest part, no point in underselling price wise, but I want to get rid of the logs for a friend down on his luck. He is in no position to sell farm gate as he lives on a little side lane in the wilds and no one would go near his place, passing trade wouldn't exist. I am on the side of a road which is used by commuters to either of the larger towns close by-Welshpool and Oswestry, even though a B road, it is well used by local traffic. The plan is to have the sign finished by next week and running for Friday, Saturday and Sunday which goes against the grain a bit, Family would not have approved of Sunday trading-but I would get away with it as a "worthy cause".
I have to organise my own logs soon too. I have quite a lot of trees growing in the wrong places-2 opting to grow one each side of a gateway-so the gate is permanently open-the closing side is against the garage which acts as a post, but in practise is also the garage corner post and door swinger-oh dear, they have to go! Chainsaw this weekend I think. I have a recipient for logs a girl and her chap who haven't 2 pence so it will be a donation of a few bags-the baby smiles at me and gurgles when I hold her, so that's good for logs I suppose!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 17 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassandra, it will also help if the person going on the course had a course for the volunteers you have. At least then someone in the community would have the information, and hopefully would make use of it. You seem to be getting things straightened out there, and good to get the grant sorted.

Gregotyn, I think I told you how much we sell our log sacks for. Might not be quite so much where you are, but gives you an idea. It would be a good idea to get something out of it for yourself too as you are doing some of the work. I know you want to help those around you, but don't undersell yourself personally either.

Husband and son got the log loads sorted yesterday, and I went to help at the food bank. As well as the parcels to give out, we had the start of the harvest festival season coming in, so had to start stacking the stuff from those. Ended by just putting most of the bags into the store for the Monday people to sort out. Harvest Festival has just come in time as we were getting very short of some things. Still we were better off than some food banks who were really running short, and managed to keep giving out good sized food parcels.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 285, 286, 287 ... 423, 424, 425  Next
Page 286 of 425
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive