Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
... the sky is baby blue, and the just-unfurling leaves ...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 423, 424, 425  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 14 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firewood could become a problem for me soon. I had ordered a load which was to be delivered this weekend if it did not rain. It rained today..... Still it was not a heavy rain so hopefully with a dry (albeit cool) day tomorrow I may yet receive something. Fortunately I bought a bag of wood on my way back from town yesterday so had some nice dry wood to keep things cosy today when the temperature took it into its head to plummet to 10 degrees. With four degrees tonight and a promise of 13 for tomorrow, it was nice to have some dry wood to pop into the oven after I fitted the new glass to the door. I put the price tag on the inside of the door in the expectation it would go to dust as soon as a decent heat was built up. So far, no such luck. Still I have only been burning a log at a time so it is hardly a roaring fire. And that is all that is needed at present as there is no wind to drive the cold into the house. Nevertheless the dogs and the cats have been hugging the fire for much of the day.

Poor Smidgen is outnumbered with three black animals in the house - he is the odd one out. But he has a rug on a particular chair that colour coordinates with him, so he seems to be taking it in his stride.

I had a nice quiet day today with only two outings - one to clean the bank, the other to a talk about adapting your garden to your advancing age. Not too sure I am quite to the stage of needing these adaptations, but it seems the ones I have been making are at least consistent with the recommended approach. The speaker has a five acre garden, so perhaps a little more ambitious than the rest of us. And it is all ornamentals too!!! Not something I would bother with unless I had a team of gardeners to look after it for me I am afraid. If you can't eat it, then there is no point in growing it I reckon (unless it is for privacy or windbreaks).

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 14 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have pm'ed you elsewhere MR, before I saw your post, as I have found the blurb. I am quite interested in buying one as the machine does a good job, and can run on a tractor pto or electricity I'll use my '35. and start looking for more customers!
Doctor Kate O'Dwyer has sorted me out with a cream for inside the nose-a new doctor to here and seems really good, she may even have a sense of humour! It was the aspirin making the blood thinner that gave me the panic.
Autumn does seem to have set in with you now, Cassandra, as we are well into spring and today has been positively warm up here, and I have seen damson blossom out! I am impressed with your theory of growing, I have been saying that for years and think the pretty bits which were for the ex to do drove her away! I had 1/2 acre of veg, 1/2 acre of fruit and an acre paddock for sheep in the winter and make hay in the summer for the said sheep. All she had to do were a few short borders about 3 metres long and 18" wide-ie hoe round the roses-I did the pruning! I did the green houses as well, didn't like my veg., too earthy!
I have got my arrangements for gardening with age, as you know I do it in boxes that I can sit down to the job-sort of 2 ft off the ground deep beds! I too have done a few jobs today the worst being to pay my LR insurance £360 or there abouts- so all is done with that till tax it time in October. See you all tomorrow.

cassandra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 14 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no prizes for guessing what I will be doing tomorrow - weather permitting. I got home and found that my wood had been delivered and was sprawled across the back yard for miles. Not too impressed with it I have to say - not very well seasoned so at present the nice new glass in the wood heater is an unattractive shade of black. It seems to be clearing as the heat builds up but does not bod well for the condition of the flue at the end of winter. I think I will get another ton from another source and hope it is drier, so I have something to mix in with the rest. It's my own fault for leaving the order so late - usually I get it at the beginning of summer so any seasoning issues are self-remedied during the intervening months.

I am stacking it downhill from the tank this year - with a view to defining the garden area, providing a wee bit of shelter for some of the garden beds and still being accessible. It also means that the waste from the chain saw can be directed in various desirable spots to build upon the areas under cardboard and woodchips.

Tomorrow I plan to cook a roast but tonight I have bought some spinach and cheese rolls as an exercise in sheer laziness and decadence. After cleaning out all three cottages today I think I deserve it! lol.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 14 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gregotyn, I have replied to the PM via the 'other side'. Glad your nose bleed problem is sorted out. I assumed you would be on aspirin. I know it can cause bleeding problems as husband is on it, and if he has a cut it can bleed quite badly.

It worries me when they talk about 'Over 50s' as if we were ancient and decrepit. To some extent I think it might be an idea to make the garden easier to manage, but it seems to have other ideas. Before I get to the 'ancient' age group, I would expect to move, probably because next doors who are older will have to sell their house, and that will probably be redeveloped making our position between them and small estate untenable.

I have some low raised beds, but husband put them in so that I could cope with defined areas as being ill, I was finding looking at a large patch of ground impossible. I used to work with a man that had polio in his youth and was in a wheel chair. He had raised beds and did the gardening quite happily, although I suspect that he had to get someone else to do any digging or heavy work.

Seasoned firewood is always a problem Cassandra. Don't know what your suppliers are like, but we always tell people what the state of seasoning is, unlike some who swear blue's black that the green beech dripping sap is fully seasoned. If you can find a good supplier, I would try to stick with them. It won't cure the problem, but it might help letting a bit more air into the fire to take the worst of the moisture up the chimney.

Not surprised you are tired after doing out 3 flats. Husband, son and the lad dug a soakaway hole, put the crates and shingle in yesterday and more or less covered it over. Think they were all tired after that. I did odd household jobs and refurbished some spice and pot pourri ropes son found in the spare room from many years ago.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 14 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassandra, I guess you will be stacking wood-isn't there a prize really? what a swizz! now there is a 'dating' word-takes me back to the days of the 'Beano' and other equally desireable rags at the ages of 8 to 13! A bit of a pain when you have been working as well. Seasoning is important for efficiency of burning ref MR and Dave Cooke. I have seen the results of burning fresh spruce at a friend's house to know that I don't want tar running down my bedroom walls. Does the same thing happen with unseasoned hard woods?
'Tis true that at 50+ you are written off. They don't understand why our boss employed me-except that they are beginning to realise that a chap who always turns up at 0630am and gets everything ready for them to start at 8am and distributes the previous afternoon/overnight deliveries to hopefully the right places, burns the rubbish, ticks the order book against what has been delivered during the morning, and generally fetches, carries, holds spanners, bundles cardboard, drives the fork lift(licensed), and saves one of them having to do 'it.' Oh I have to make my own tea! Age is just one of the reasons the holding has to go and am going to the bungalow in advance of needing to! I haven't read your pm but I will say the prices will be wrong as I was looking at a 2007 list!-oops. I have sent another pm!
I am going to a farm sale which begins at 1200, not sure why it is so late, but possibly because the auctioneers are from away and want time to get there! It is a beautiful farm and house. I often go to sales to be "nosey" and "just in case" there is something I really cannot exist a moment longer without! I am afraid to admit that I have bought so much on impulse and it is still in the box!

cassandra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 14 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ironic that they downgrade the 'over 50s' while at the same time our government has decided that we can all work until we are 70 to save them some money to give to their rich mates (that 8 billion they paid to Murdoch must have put a hole in their budget).

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 14 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are working up to that in the UK too Cassandra. In the farming and forestry industries however the average age is in the 60s I think, so being over 50 is no real disadvantage among other workers, just gets a bit more difficult, which is why we need youngsters to come in with the physical abilities to learn from the experienced.

Green hardwood (in the UK) doesn't burn very well except for ash, which has low moisture content, so it generally isn't a problem with severe tarring. I haven't really burnt much softwood, but knowing how much resin it can contain it certainly could cause a problem. The other thing is the flue. It sounds as if your friend didn't have a flue liner Gregotyn. Old houses which don't have them have to be rather careful anyway, as there is always a risk of fire, and with tar getting through that is even greater.

Finally managed to start the garden yesterday. Dug over one raised bed and sowed some seeds. The bed had potatoes in last year and I found a few more, as you do, so have got them settled in a large pot hoping to get some sort of crop.

cassandra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 14 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Australian hardwood burns slow and black when not adequately seasoned. Not at all when green (unless you have a passing bushfire of course).

I think I like Sundays - a whole day uninterrupted by external demands - time to spend by myself, and the company of the dogs and cats if I get bored.

A couple of loads of washing took advantage of the sunny weather (rather hot and humid to be frank) and I stacked half the load of wood. The remainder is at that awkward distance from its destination that is not far enough to warrant the double-handling required to load the wheel barrow to take it there, but far enough that walking over with each piece of wood to position it carefully in the stack requires more effort than seems desirable. I will sleep on it and make a decision in the morning. My present thought is that since it is a curved stack, and the tank is at one end, if I buffer the tank by piling up the narrow and very long branches beside it (useful for fire starting and readily cut up with the drop saw), I can perhaps barrow loads over and simply dump them, now the stack has been defined, and once enough barrow loads are in position, I can then start building a low perimeter at the front to contain the rest of the wood..... But I probably won't, and will continue stacking it in an orderly manner since that is what one does with fire wood - at least where I come from.

I have a rather large beef roast for dinner - it went into the oven a bit over half an hour ago, but will probably start cooking rather more effectively now I have adjusted the oven setting from griller to oven..... I popped it in in a bit of a rush as Seb had taken a fancy to it. He has a disconcerting habit of standing up on his hind legs, resting his forepaws on the counter and helping himself to whatever takes his fancy. I am not used to animals that take human food, so it is a matter we have yet to resolve. Shadow would no more do that than fly to the moon and even the cats practice restraint.

Apart from that, I have popped around to pay for the wood, selected enough shorter pieces to keep things chugging along indoors for a couple of mild evenings, made the bed up with fresh linen (scented with lavender as I have finally found enough lavender bags to use up the dried flowers I have collected over the last few summers), taken in the washing and put it away. And now I am planning to wait for dinner (somewhat delayed) and crawl into my nice clean sheets in the not too distant future.

Tomorrow will be somewhat cooler and with a drop of rain in the afternoon, so not sure how much wood will get stacked after all.

As you say MR - the timber industry does seem to be mainly older people. The chap I buy from has just had both his knees replaced so his son is now doing it (hence the change in the quality of wood - the younger chap is not that tuned in to the job yet - all rush and no quality. There is another chap who I have bought from who I will place an order with once I have this lot stacked. He charges more, and delivers smaller loads, but his last lot of wood was good (albeit of unreliable sizing). I will ask him to give me normal sized wood too (this last lot is normal sizing as I am sick of paying extra to get it cut to length, then having to cut it up myself anyway) and see what I get this year. If it is better than I have at present, then I think I will support him in the future as this is the second time my usual chap has let me down on quality.

cassandra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 14 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowt to report today - a very quiet and pleasant day of doing nothing in particular. To which I will now return, lol.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 14 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stacking firewood is a pain, which is why we don't stack for many people and charge for most of them. One women who has been ordering from us since we started has a double load and we have to stack at some distance from the van for her. It takes ages and is very tiring, but at least she gives us a cuppa and biscuits.

We had our first show of the year yesterday. Weather was lovely and got slightly sunburnt. We had a 'hedge' of wild cherry behind us, so we have a mixture of wood shavings and cherry petals over everything. Went fairly well, and got to talk to a few useful and/or interesting people. There was one very old man in a wheelchair that had been a wheelwright in the past. He spent a while watching son doing pole lathe turning with a big smile on his face, so think he must have been glad to see the skills he knew still going. Not sure they used a pole to turn the hub, but it would have had to be turned, out of elm if possible.

Rather tired after yesterday, and the others are doing fencing today, so I won't be needed so will have a bit of a rest-perhaps.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 14 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have very little to report either. Had a lazy day on Sunday, well, got up late and went to bed early-on the principle that I did not want to be late twice in a day! In between I chopped a bit of wood, and then got a 'load' to send to the tip-why do I keep old boots that have worn heels and I am never going to wear again?-all 6 pairs of them!
I actually quite enjoy stacking wood as I see it as the heat I want for the winter and want my wood seasoned so that it will perform its duty-burn well! However, I can see the logic of not enjoying the job when you do it day in and day out and it is not for oneself; and I can see the 'anti' when it is not in one decent heap to start with and scattered all around-think I would mention that! Definately eucalyptus burns slowly. My friend planted 5 about 10 years ago and they have all died; after reaching about 30ft. you would expect them to live. I am wondering if where he had them was too close to a ditch which is always running I always burn oak or ash if I can,but I do have some good dry 'hard' softwood if that is not too much of a contrary statement. Just soft wood which is very dry and very heavy, red in colour and probably Russian or Scandinavian. I am off next w/e for Easter and going to see friends-the Christmas gang- in Bridgnorth. my usual for all my holidays.No the friend with the tar in the bedroom had no flue liner, the sort who would dismiss such an idea as a waste of money.
The farm sale was a bit of a waste of time I came away before it started. nothing I wanted except I would have liked another tower. There was one there to match mine but the diagonal stabilisers had been put in with a different lot of diagonals, what a bunch of walleys-they should get up in the morning!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 14 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only came across eucalyptus wood once and that was when someone tried to burn some unseasoned on an open fire with a dubious chimney at the 17th century village. We had to evacuate for a while until the eucalyptus oil cleared. Other problem was of course that we didn't even know Australia and eucalyptus existed then.

Personally I dislike eucalyptus in the UK as it is so alien. Similarly I dislike bamboo and a lot of South African flowers, especially the spiky ones.

Pity about the tower Gregotyn. It does help if the auctioneers make sure all the lots are right.

Had a fairly quiet day yesterday after our show Sunday. Did the washing and a bit of housework. The others did some fencing, emptied the kiln and bagged some charcoal, so they came home an 'interesting' colour.

cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 14 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they grew 30 feet in five years they would have outgrown their strength Gregotyn. I imagine, as you say that they were in the wrong spot. They like going thirsty. Tell him to try some river red gums next time.

My stack is marginally higher, but not noticeably so. I did cut some up and bring it indoors as it was cool today. We are apparently going to have a run of cool weather over the Easter weekend (typical, we have a garden working bee on the Saturday and they are forecasting rain).

Then I finished up that quilted curtain (or at least the top layer - I have to buy some wadding as I realised that piecing together the scraps I have will show through when the sun is behind it). I may knock up a few more if the weather settles in colder. Though tomorrow is apparently going to be 17, so perhaps not tomorrow.

Little else was achieved once the fire was lit, apart from sticky beaking at all the work that is going on over the road. The new neighbours have moved in and seem to have a team of workers going flat stick - two new rainwater tanks (a total of around 50,000 litres storage, so they won't be running short), and the garden has had a once over already. I did notice them trying to split firewood with an axe, so I will take the blockbuster over tomorrow and introduce them to the concept - being from the mainland and desert parts at that, they may not have met one before.

I did roast beef the other night, and have been having it in sandwiches ever since. todays were Beef, cheddar and caramelised onions - very tasty indeed. The meat is rare to medium rare, so just right for wafer thin slices. I will try to find some horseradish at the shop tomorrow, but I suspect they won't have any.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 14 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will certainly be telling friend what to plant, Will the R.R. gum tree put up with the cold weather? I will explain about the desire to be short of water for the EUCs., and thank you. 50k water seems a lot to store. I expect to use less than 1k litres to heat the bungalow for a winter unless I get a bit on the nesh side!
I had a shock this am at work, a strange car went up and down the road as I was opening up at 6.30, so I left the premises closed after I had gone in-'in case'-and got into the routine, next thing the bosses head comes through the hanging curtain 'only us he says, we're off now', I then see him and someone else getting into his car and away they go! It appears the potential intruders were his guests at some show or other! Well safe not sorry, but I suspect if it had been the wrong folks it probably would not have mattered how well the place was locked.
Thankyou for the pm. MR., I will go to see the man at the school and see what he has to say.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 14 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because we are on mains water and don't have a meter, I don't know how much water we use, but suspect it is less than average, as we do try to save water. We have just had the electricity bill, and they are putting down our monthly payments as we aren't using as much as they calculated. Think the gas bill will be the same. They keep trying to put that up, and can't understand why we end up so much in credit. A little application of common sense might supply the answer, but it is beyond their computer.

A day delivering charcoal to a couple of customers yesterday. Everyone is wanting charcoal at the moment, so we are really busy with it. Odd firewood loads still wanted too, so rather busy still in spite of the main firewood season being over.

Weather currently lovely here; warm during the day but rather chilly nights. Hoping it will last as we have a farmers market Saturday.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 423, 424, 425  Next
Page 44 of 425
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive