Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
... the sky is baby blue, and the just-unfurling leaves ...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 423, 424, 425  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 14 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a five minute frost this morning - the crystals were forming on the leaves and the tarp of the ute, and five minutes later they were a heavy due. A deep fog finished off the effect of an autumn morning.

Bright sunshine for the rest of the day - It was rather nice though I had to spend the morning cleaning the bank and various cottages. Lots of stop-and-chat opportunities in town this morning though - tourists in the coffee shop, friends in the street, and I popped into quilting for five minutes to check about the whereabouts of the little man who services the machines. My new (secondhand) Bernina I bought last year has a fair built up of lint that it could live without and I am looking forward to having it in optimal running order.

After some thought the second blind will be the leftovers of a jelly roll interleaved with a couple of cotton pillowslips I don't need (I have more pillowslips than you can poke a stick at and they really are superfluous to requirements). - basically four-patches joined to make 12 inch blocks, with dark/strong colours at the corners so that you get a solid square of colour at intervals across the surface.

Not that I made any progress in that department - between working, walking the dogs, cutting firewood in anticipation of the cold change coming, and such like, there was not really time to settle down to the cutting board and get stuck in.

water storage is confusing actually - while I have a 10000 litre tank, I use more than that each year as it keeps being topped up (at least in theory) by passing rain clouds. So to be frank I have no idea how much I get through these days. When I was in the caravan a 20 litre jerry can would last me three days for washing me, dishes, cooking, cuppas etc, but major washing of clothes was done elsewhere. Most of my appliances are water-saving though, so I expect I don't get through that much.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 14 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been threatened with the risk of a frost, but don't think we have actually had one. It has got pretty cold at night the last few nights though. Although spring started about the right time, we have had warm weather during the day, so everything is rushing on now. The wisteria buds are lengthening, the bluebells are in flower, the birds are singing and I noticed some hawthorn in flower yesterday. That isn't supposed to come out until May, hence it's other name.

Sounds like you have been pretty busy with the cleaning and firewood.

We have another charcoal firing today, so husband will be going up early. Son and I have some charcoal bags to deliver to an outlet that is having charcoal for the first time. They have been selling our log sacks for a couple of winters, but this is the first time they have tried charcoal.

cassandra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 14 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect we will have some serious frosts over the Easter weekend - with one degree forecast one night and a maximum of 12 degrees (of course on the day of the Garden working bee) forecast for Saturday.

I came back from walking the dogs this morning to spot the crazy neighbour squatting beside my letter box with a clip board taking down information about the truck that was pumping out the septic tank over the road - she scuttled off at speed (you know how kids who are being self-important, 'terribly covert' and generally busy behave - well picture a 6 foot overweight maniac doing that), into her yard once more, then calmly came out and got into her car (which was parked over the road - apparently she had been diverted from her intended destination for this terribly important fact-finding mission).

I am guessing the new neighbours will be reported for pumping out their septic tank before 8 in the morning or some equally 'appalling' behaviour ......... what a way to welcome them.....

Once the dogs were in I decided i really should do something about getting winter crops in before the soil cools down too much, so hauled out the sunflowers (heads cut off and left to dry, with one left out for the rosellas to find), and dug things over lightly before sowing seeds of cauliflower, brussel sprouts and broccoli as well as carrots and parsnips. I will throw some more down the back tomorrow as it will be a nice quiet activity for Good Friday.

Then into town to book lunch at the Pancake Parlour for Saturday (we have a working bee at the garden so will be needing something nourishing once we are finished) and called into the shop for a few things that were running too low to last me until Saturday. Ran into the former secretary of the Hall Committee and discussed the ongoing saga of the electricity bill (which is still be sent to me two years on) and suggested the current treasurer should simply ask advice from the former treasurer who would sort it out for him in two minutes flat.

Then sewed strips of pillow-slip to strips of jelly roll (sorry, if you are not a quilter you will have no idea what i am talking about) and ironed them all flat in preparation for cutting them into smaller bits which will then be sewn together to make four-patches. This required that I find that wonderful collection of cottons that I received some time back as I usually sew with ecru, and since the fabric was white, I needed white cotton - which of course was there in the stash when I finally found it (too many tins, boxes, plastic bins and goodness knows what to search through).

Stacked a bit more firewood once the fog lifted, but still a ways to go. The fire has not been entirely necessary but has chugged away happily for much of the day. Tonight's dinner is steak and chips - yum!

The dogs have taken full advantage of the fire today - doing their impression of netsuki ....

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 14 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh-sounds bad cassandra, make sure the woolies are ready and aired! How lucky your neighbourhood has a 'person' to attend to these matters in such a covert fashion, does she have another half who helps her on occasions, on the sort of the big projects that happen, or is he a George of George and Mildrid?- mild and nondescript. Love the dogs-stereo!
We have had several early am. frosts, so glad my beans are not bought!- Hots planted hers out in the garden and has possibly lost the lot she's not sure yet. I am not going to garden this year, although it would be possible as they could be moved when I go, by fork lift on the front of a tractor, but it is a chore I can do without. There are a few more trees venturing to flower, but think they are a bit early, I would have thought hawthorn or maybe blackthorn, seems early here. Glad the firewood is still selling and charcoal, almost a contradiction, as I associate them with opposite ends of the year!
I am off to friends' for Easter, but going to call at a caravan sellers' yard to see if they have any second hand fold down vans in stock I have decided I am too old for camping and don't really want the grief of putting up a large tent for 2 nights and don't want the trouble of a small van bobbing around in the wind behind me. I will tell you if I am successful if the friends let me on their pooter! Otherwise see you next week. Happy Easter.

cassandra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 14 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately Grego, she lives alone - I doubt any man could live with her without belting her up (and apparently this has happened in the past). She is 'known to the police' for her more riotous behaviour in her youth and apparently a past master at presenting as all innocence and virtue when hauled up on charges of drunk and disorderly, lol.

Good Friday must the the dullest day on the calendar. I had it drilled into me as a child that one never overtly works on Good Friday - so no power tools, no washing on the line, no activity outside the house that might be construed as anything other than recreational ...

And apparently Parattah feels the same way as I have not heard a peep out of any of the households all day.

So I got on and did some sewing - 59 four-patches now completed, several more to go. I need 60 for the larger blind, so will keep making them up to ensure that there is a full mix of fabrics in the blind. These will make two blinds - one for the laundry window and the other to go over the glass panels in the laundry door (the larger one). They are using up a fairly bright modern jelly roll fabric, so not appropriate to the rest of the house, but fine in the new bit.

Walked the dogs down to the orchard to check ripening progress on the apples (still some time to go I presume as they do not readily twist off), pruned the jostaberry back to green wood (I forgot to water it for a while there ... oops) and other than that did very little. I brought the cappuccino machine in from the ute where it has been for about a week since Penelope closed her shop and no longer requires it (I loaned it to her to see if it was worth her while getting in a proper coffee machine), and heated up some milk to make a coffee and chicory (I love that stuff - fond memories go with it). And had toasted cheese sandwiches for lunch to accompany it.

No idea what is for dinner tonight - I expect I will find something when I rummage in the fridge. I have to balance the books for the school garden tonight too, before lashing out and spending some of it on lunch for the workers tomorrow.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 14 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father used to insist that every Sunday was a quiet day, which I didn't find very good as a child. I prefer not to use shops on Good Friday, but we have to carry on with some work; we have a half log load to deliver. I took the order not realising it was Good Friday. Oops!

We fired another kiln of charcoal yesterday finishing about 7.30p.m. Delivered bags to an outlet in the morning and did odd jobs such as filling log sacks and milling a log in the afternoon. I put the signs up for Spring in the Woods and Bluebell Time, as they are out now. Every year I put the signs up asking people not to pick or walk in the bluebells as it is illegal to pick them and spoils them to run in them. Not sure some people can read!

We have a funny mix of things in flower here at the moment. There is still some blackthorn, so I wouldn't put it past the weather to produce a frost, but there is also May blossom. The wisteria buds are getting longer and longer, and as I said, the bluebells are out. I found some early purple orchids in flower yesterday too when I was walking round the wood to put the signs up.

You have been busy Cassandra. Your neighbour seems to be having another session of being madder than usual then.

Have a good Easter if we don't hear from you Gregotyn.

cassandra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 14 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have no option regarding the shops as they are all closed Good Friday. This meant that Maundy Thursday the main street was a frenzy of country people doing last minute shops in terror of running out of something on the one day holiday (silly when we all have stockpiles of shopping to save running to the shops daily). I even joined in, with a realisation I would be out of milk and bread if I did not.

Today as my reward for attending the Garden working bee, I was shown a photo of the back yard of my place when the previous owner was in residence. It makes me feel a whole lot better about the way it looks at present - I am particularly taken with the two very high clotheslines - they explain why there was string around the base of one of the finials when I climbed up there to see what was going on.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 14 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were a lot of people shopping this week I found, probably because we have one day without shops opening-in theory, on Sunday.

Looks like all the previous owners kept was scrap and chickens Cassandra, so you will definitely have improved things even if it is a bit untidy in places.

We had a rather disappointing Farmers Market yesterday. Plenty of visitors but all with long pockets and short arms. Still, it stayed dry and wasn't too windy. Have some people who may come back another month, so will just have to hope for the best. Now have 2 days off, which will be really nice.

cassandra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 14 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - living in Deliverance Country has its moments. There are still back yards like this in this village, lol.

The promised showers arrive punctually at 3 as the weatherman said they would, accompanied by strong gusting winds and then they all went away.

I did however get the chainsaw out for its first bit of exercise this year and cut up a few chunks of wood to light the fire by mid-afternoon. It seems to burn OK when mixed in with some of the more seasoned wood that I have stockpiled, especially once the fire box heats up and has some good coals going. At least the glass has remained clear since I cleaned off the black goo from the last efforts.

Seb has the wind under his tail at present, so a 'walk' this afternoon consisted of him taking off at high speed to do two laps of the oval (me standing by the grandstand). The second lap he took off up the slope toward the back road, but was brought up before he got there by me having anticipated this move and short-cut to a meeting point. The next walk was a little more sedate, but only after I refused to let go of the rope.

I will be reheating pizza for dinner tonight. I had forgotten I had bought it (a fresh pizza that I had popped in the freezer) and it was a welcome discovery last night as I was rummaging for food. I also got to try out the pizza wheel I had bought at a second hand stall some months ago but not previously used.

Popped into the community Garden to do some measuring in anticipation of our food forest workshop and am in the process of negotiating with the presenter for information on the required materials that we have to order in (sheep poo and pea straw seem to be the main priorities).

Then I will walk the dogs once more, and retire indoors for the night.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 14 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good that the glass hasn't got black again. Mixing the two seems to be raising the temperature enough, but watch the chimney. I expect you have strict rules about chimney sweeping in such a fire prone country, but it is not unknown here for people not to sweep their chimneys for years.

Hope Seb has had enough exercise for one day now. We are having a lazy day and thinking about going out, but not sure where.

cassandra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 14 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have not had the flue swept since i started using it - I put in those flue cleaners from time to time and when the budget is tight, bung in an aluminium can. I also give the sides of the flue a good bashing from time to time and can hear the soot raining down into the base of the heater, from which I shovel it out. It seems to work.

Nothing like a white frost to start the day I always say, but unfortunately this one was not followed by bright sunshine. A sort of haze settled over the day and a few attempts at sunlight were rapidly discouraged.

Nevertheless I did three loads of washing, most of which managed to get dry (ish) before the rain this afternoon. What remains is almost there so will respond well to the airer in the bathroom.

Because it was such an unpromising day we spent most of it indoors with the dogs sprawled in front of the fire and the cats curled up in various vantage points around the room. And apart from the washing, not a single thing was done all day.

We have had a few walks around the oval and have three more scheduled into the day from here, but they will be rather brisk ones if I have any say in the matter.

The frost is a good thing (and another is scheduled for later in the week) as I want to get rid of a pumpkin that one of our more troublesome garden users has trained right across the area that she was told would be dug up to install more plumbing in the garden. Since the lads will be back at work on 28th April it is pleasing to know we will be having a hard frost on the 25th which should finish off the job started today.

I have had time to plan a new garden bed (I will bring up one of the tank rounds from down below). This will be partially filled with the backfill from the hugelkultur I built earlier, and topped up with the rest of the firewood that does not burn, then finished off with some compost from the place up Interlaken Road one day when I have the energy to do that sort of thing. This will, of course, be after the rest of the firewood is shifted into its final resting place. While it is less than well seasoned, I have discovered that mixing it with the more seasoned woods gives a good clean burn, so all is not lost - another load of drier timber from another source and I will be laughing.

I have also measured up the area where we propose to build a food forest. I had intended to build it in one of the new beds, but their dimensions are unsuited to this sort of approach so I had to work out another spot - the one I have chosen is close to the polytunnel but at the southern end so that shade from the fruit trees will not adversely impact the tunnel once they get up a bit. It will also be accessible on all four sides for ease of entry and picking. All very complicated, but hopefully it will all come clear once we have someone telling us what to do. Now all I have to do is source fruit and berry plants that we can use in the garden. I expect one of my gooseberries will come in handy, along with whatever the nurseries have available.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 14 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like good planning weather. Did you finish the Heugelkultur and if so, how is it going?

As it was raining most of the day, we decided to go to Uppark, a National Trust property not too far from us. They had a catastrophic fire in 1989 and the inside has been pretty well rebuilt to as original as they could make it. A brilliant job. Son and my parents were there when the fire started, and son was rather upset about it, being only 9 at the time. We went back during the restoration, and now you wouldn't know there had ever been a fire. The dining room table, on which Emma Hamilton (of Nelson fame) is said to have danced as a young woman, survived the fire as the ceiling collapsed on it. From pictures of her, it would have had to be fairly robust to have survived her dancing.

Today is a nice day, so I am hoping to do some work in the garden. Husband has to try to do some welding on the support leg of the little forwarder, and he wants to get some bits of ironmongery as well.

cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 14 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your day out sounds marvellous - I do like a place with a bit of history. Glad they saved the table - one that looked like it but which was not the original would be a disappointment I think.

I did get the Hugelkultur finished and planted, but I have to say it was a bit of a disappointment. But then I guess when they say it has low water needs, they don't mean NO water needs which was rather my approach. the zucchini survived my neglect but the cabbages were no success at all. The fennel is, I think, still alive, and I have left it to self-sow to its heart's content so we will see what happens.

The rain last night was a joy to listen to snuggled down into a cosy bed. I do love the sound of rain on the roof - as long as it stays outside which this one was sufficiently well mannered to do.

It was all gone by this morning, but evidence of its passing was clear to see, with the gardens all nice and wet and sparkling fresh. Not to mention lots of long wet grass. Walking the dogs was a fairly soggy affair the first two times at least.

The rest of the four-patches were completed today and are all pressed and waiting for me to work out what to do with them. I am thinking a sort of 1-6, 2-6+1, 3-6+1and 2 layout, so that I get a diagonal stripe running on the blind. The smaller blind to be the same only backwards.

I had to run into town to collect my bins from the garden, having failed to remember to collect them on both my earlier trips into town, and to buy some professionally ground coffee for the espresso machine since my grinder only seems to get so far down before refusing to grind any smaller. I will give it a burl tomorrow - bit late for coffee right now.

Gave the chainsaw a bit of a workout, despite it being a nice day as I had a feeling in my bones it would get cold early tonight, and I was right - the last dog walk was distinctly chilly - wondering where my beanie is right now.

Smidgen was curled up asleep on the chair today when he suddenly launched himself from deep slumber, around the back of the chair, hitting the door into the spare room open as he landed. I gather there may have been a mouse in there. But since Seb tried to 'help' I expect the mouse got away.

Oxtail stew for dinner tonight as the Roxy had some in stock - and I bought a tray of bacon bones while I was about it. Will put them on later, to cook down then cool own overnight so I can skim off the fat before adding the rest of the ingredients. With ten degrees forecast for the maximum the day after tomorrow, it seems we are rapidly heading toward soup weather once more.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 14 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try to be in touch on saturday but the friends' computer has been infected by the virus and I stopped and although we did the scans we also decided not to carry on-well it was decided for me! Back in the library now and all is well here, I have had a good w/e eating all the things I shouldn't, and going shopping and so on, in fact done lots I've enjoyed, I suppose it is a change from the norm. We too had to do nothing on Good Friday when I was a child, but with extentions to all Sundays. I well remember my grandad and I going to see two of his sisters one Christmas evening with some firewood as a present. My grandad was visibley shaken by the fact that his older sisters were knitting; one said (as she could see also that he was upset) "you can see its not a Sunday, Frank, we are knitting" He replied, "Yes but it's a much Holier day than any Sunday". Grandad was a lay methodist preacher! When I lived with my grand parents, they got educated to some degree, as did I. I kept my homework for sunday! so nice and quiet, which kept the peace for my mother. I like the photo of your back garden, could I have the old Ford Escort please? or is it a Vauxhall Avenger?
I have to make an admission that I haven't read all your posts yet as time is running out on me.There is a draw back of coming to the library in that you don't know who is also in! The 'B' next to me has done nothing but sniff all the time and it is driving me mad.I think I will go away and see you both on Thursday. Yipee he must have read my thoughts and he is now going away.
Easter was a good time with their kids coming over on the sunday(son+dil+2yo) and monday sil and daughter who is expecting her first child in October at 40-that will give her a shock!-The poor child will be coddled and cossetted as they are so clean I don't think they can have any immunity to any bugs! Actually I think a child will do her a bit of good, get the feet back down to earth. I hope you both relaxed at some point during the weekend, I have just been lazy really- well done things I wanted to do but no work really.I'll be at it at 06.30 tomorrow!

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 14 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cassandra wrote:
We have no option regarding the shops as they are all closed Good Friday. This meant that Maundy Thursday the main street was a frenzy of country people doing last minute shops in terror of running out of something on the one day holiday (silly when we all have stockpiles of shopping to save running to the shops daily). I even joined in, with a realisation I would be out of milk and bread if I did not.

Today as my reward for attending the Garden working bee, I was shown a photo of the back yard of my place when the previous owner was in residence. It makes me feel a whole lot better about the way it looks at present - I am particularly taken with the two very high clotheslines - they explain why there was string around the base of one of the finials when I climbed up there to see what was going on.

plenty of useful scrap in that yard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 423, 424, 425  Next
Page 45 of 425
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive