Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
So many blackberries!
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 13 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not tried this, but it looks fab.

https://zombiesurvivalfoodbible.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/banana-chocolate-chip-blackberry-cake.html

Jess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 13 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also found lots of berries. I make pies ith VERY VERY generous feeling. Just add some flour or cornstarch to berries and you will get very nice feeling of the pie.

Barefoot Andrew
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 13 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out and about this afternoon, we may have stopped a few times for impromptu scoffing in the sunshine
A.

Sherbs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 13 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they're looking very good round here too so I'm thinking about going BlackBerrying tomorrow. Also I found some kind of apple tree growing in the field behind the hut where the Sherbling has Brownies, the apples are very sharp and dry in flavour but bigger than your average crabapple so I don't know what they are but they might be good for some sort of jam making experiment.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 13 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could be wildings. Apple pips don't breed true, so an apple core thrown away can result in some interesting offspring. Crab apples of various sorts are sometimes planted in new hedges, and some of the apples in hedges are even quite good. There is one outside our house that produces good apples, but of course the 'tidy monkeys' have flailed it, so the only way to get the apples is to pick them off the ground.

Somewhere-by-the-river

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 13 3:26 pm    Post subject: blackberries Reply with quote

I must have about 12lb+ blackberries in my freezer - I've been making the most of it and have plans for pies, jelly, chutney, blackberry whisky and more of what I've already been making (and drinking) by the gallon...

...The River Cottage preserving book (by Pam Corbin) has a cordial recipe that is fab and works great with blackberry and apple (cookers work well, eaters not too bad though rather sweet for me, have yet to try the crab apples that I have just found at our new home - though they might go for jelly)... Really recommend it, everyone I've fed it to so far thinks it's just as good as I do.

Long last the wild harvest!

graysalchemy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 13 8:08 pm    Post subject: elderberry Port Reply with quote

I make a rather good elderberry Port with Elders Damsons and blackberries.

per gallon

2lb damsons
2lb elderberry
2lb blackberry
1lb raisins (minced)
1 tsp pectinase
2lb of sugar

Disolve the sugar by boiling in a little water, Mash the berries to a pulp and then add raisins Sugar syrup and pectolase. Ferment on the pulp using a port yeast then after a week strain and transfere to a DJ. Leave for a few months then rack then bottle after 6 months. It will need a few years in the bottle. I have collection of aged port ranging from 10 yr old to one bottle of 20 yr old port.

Elderberry stout is also rather good also

bubble

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 13 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

graysalchemy wrote:

per gallon

2lb damsons
2lb elderberry
2lb blackberry
1lb raisins (minced)
1 tsp pectinase
2lb of sugar

Disolve the sugar by boiling in a little water, Mash the berries to a pulp and then add raisins Sugar syrup and pectolase. Ferment on the pulp using a port yeast then after a week strain and transfere to a DJ. Leave for a few months then rack then bottle after 6 months. It will need a few years in the bottle. I have collection of aged port ranging from 10 yr old to one bottle of 20 yr old port.

where do you live

graysalchemy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 13 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubble wrote:
graysalchemy wrote:

per gallon

2lb damsons
2lb elderberry
2lb blackberry
1lb raisins (minced)
1 tsp pectinase
2lb of sugar

where do you live

Purgatory

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 13 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks interesting. Thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive