Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Good book on shed building?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 13 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, too busy putting in door frames over the W/E! I did manage to have a quick look at the American book and it does go into some detail. I'll PM you.

Jb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 13 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built my shed and Mrs JB's studio using a combination of a free PDF download of a US army manual on timber construction, free PDFs of shed plans, a book on how to build your own house from the library, a lot of modification of the plans I could find and a fair chunk of making it up as I went along.

Once you have a good idea of how you are going to construct it and can find a plan using the same principles then scaling up and down is easy. So in my case I chose to make it 4x2 framing, 16" spacing, and supported on piers, all I needed to do then was change the number of piers and move the walls and changing some existing free plans was quite easy.

Woodburner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 13 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for slow reply, I'm currently wading through the US Army Carpentry Manual! Thanks JB.
Despite Amazon's pathetic imitation of a search engine* I think I've found a decent one (at a price I can afford). . . And annoyingly and typically, I have just found another that looks even better, by the same people, for just a few pence more. Ah well, I'll know for sure, when the first one arrives.

*A search for "wooden workshop shed" returns just 26 results, of which only 5 have anything even distantly related to the search parameters.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive