Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Cost of preparing food from scratch
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 14 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
for some folk who are time poor for domestic things it would be reasonable to charge for time which sways the scales somewhat.

Time is a huge factor - I have lots of time, not a lot of cash. Folk are always asking me if small holding (such as we are on 2 acres) makes any money - the answer is no - but we live cheaply. For me, it is a lifestyle choice, one that was forced on me a little.

Rob R

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 14 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldish chris wrote:
Rob R wrote:
oldish chris wrote:
My Guru makes Lasagne at 60p per portion: recipe

Note: my Guru only buys "free range" meat.

Although I am a bit extravagant with meat, much of my vegetable stuff is from my allotment.

To be fair, her portions are mouse-sized, I'd need at least 3 to keep me going through the day without snacking.
I hate you, I really hate you. In order to prove you wrong, I've just spent half an hour calculating the calorie content of a portion of Jack Monroe's home-made Lasagne. Its in the order of 450. Way more than a mouse would eat. (About a third of what a working man would eat.)

My pleasure.

Rob R

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 14 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldish chris wrote:
Rob R wrote:
oldish chris wrote:
My Guru makes Lasagne at 60p per portion: recipe

Note: my Guru only buys "free range" meat.

Although I am a bit extravagant with meat, much of my vegetable stuff is from my allotment.

To be fair, her portions are mouse-sized, I'd need at least 3 to keep me going through the day without snacking.
I hate you, I really hate you. In order to prove you wrong, I've just spent half an hour calculating the calorie content of a portion of Jack Monroe's home-made Lasagne. Its in the order of 450. Way more than a mouse would eat. (About a third of what a working man would eat.)

Though you have to wonder what people think happens in the food industry;

Quote:
Watching that woman on daytime TV, I wondered if I could recreate a supermarket ready meal for less than the shelf price.

I assume many people reading that piece, comparing the £2.69 M&S meal with £0.60 homemade, would be thinking they are saving £2.09, but only if you ignore that someone has been paid to make the M&S meal, someone has been paid to make the packaging, the cooking uses un-costed time and fuel, the subsequent storage costs you money. Add onto that the testing required, the need to clean & comply with food safety regs, the greater wastage they'd have if they omitted the e-numbers. You can soon see why it's £2.09 cheaper.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive