Recipes            
Latest Articles
Tigernuts / Chufa / Cyperus esculentus
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 14 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mithril wrote:
OtleyLad wrote:
These people are selling 'fresh' organic - might just sprout then?

https://www.nutsandseeds.co.uk/tigernuts/12-tigernuts-fresh-raw-organic-5060278081854.html

Worth a shot - thanks!

Having being tempted I ordered some 250g for £7.01 (inc p&p).
Delivered promptly too.

Now all I've got to do is grow them. I'll follow the advice on the blog above:
"but I managed to get a good proportion started by soaking them, then giving them bottom heat in a propagator early in the year."

I'm such a sucker for new stuff (I can imagine them in neat rows in my new polytunnel).

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 14 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A note about vine weevils, I've mainly had them when growing stuff in pots and tubs and not when growing things in the ground. I gather it may be to do with the fact more natural predators such as ground beetles will attack the larvae in the ground but not in pots.

chickenlady

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 14 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found some at Chilterns Seeds.

Mithril

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 14 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenlady wrote:
I've found some at Chilterns Seeds.

Oh well done! That sounds like the safest bet - I will go with them.

Mithril

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 14 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
A note about vine weevils, I've mainly had them when growing stuff in pots and tubs and not when growing things in the ground. I gather it may be to do with the fact more natural predators such as ground beetles will attack the larvae in the ground but not in pots.

Can anything be done if they take a hold? I had to give up on potted mint once because of weevils.

chickenlady

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 14 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a product on the market -Nemasys vine weevil killer. It says it's safe for edibles.

I've used coffee grounds for the last few years and it seems to be working. The slugs don't like it either. I had pristine hostas all last year by tipping the used grounds from the cafetiere into the pots.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 14 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did use the weevil nematodes once and they seemed to work. I don't bother now as I try and plant susceptible things in the ground.

I'll remember the coffee grounds as well.

Mithril

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 14 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both.

chickenlady

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 14 7:13 pm    Post subject: Tiger nuts Reply with quote

Received my tiger nuts from Chilterns today. Fingers crossed that they grow and produce.

Mithril

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 14 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with them (I can't order mind 'til next month).

Does it say when they ought to be planted? Anything else on the packet?

chickenlady

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 14 11:57 am    Post subject: tiger nuts Reply with quote

They've arrived in a plain brown packet - with just a general list of instructions about planting all sorts of seeds - but nothing specific. They're considered a HP so here's what I shall do (having googled loads of info...and got thoroughly confused by conflicting advice)......

I shall wait until mid-March-ish....soak half of them for 24 hours (there are 12)...and then plant the lot, in individual cells, in the greenhouse in seed compost and hope for the best. If it's still cold then I'll put the pots in a propagator first. Wait until they sprout and then put them in the greenhouse. Weather permitting. Keep just damp. Then, if any grow, I'll pot them on if needed and grow half in tubs and half in the soil.

That's the plan anyway.

Mithril

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 14 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: tiger nuts Reply with quote

Thanks chickenlady - that's very helpful

chickenlady wrote:
They've arrived in a plain brown packet - with just a general list of instructions about planting all sorts of seeds - but nothing specific. They're considered a HP so here's what I shall do (having googled loads of info...and got thoroughly confused by conflicting advice)......

I shall wait until mid-March-ish....soak half of them for 24 hours (there are 12)...and then plant the lot, in individual cells, in the greenhouse in seed compost and hope for the best. If it's still cold then I'll put the pots in a propagator first. Wait until they sprout and then put them in the greenhouse. Weather permitting. Keep just damp. Then, if any grow, I'll pot them on if needed and grow half in tubs and half in the soil.

That's the plan anyway.

chickenlady

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 14 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I planted them all in the propagator last week and four are poking out of the soil today. Didn't take them long

Mithril

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 14 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenlady wrote:
Well, I planted them all in the propagator last week and four are poking out of the soil today. Didn't take them long

Cool

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 14 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soaked for 36 hrs then in propagator on saturday (in general purpose compost). 12 'seeds' in each half seed tray.
About half have germinated after 4 days.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive