About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Tomatoes?
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 14 6:01 pm    Post subject: Tomatoes? Reply with quote

I've had my orders as to what I've got to grow in the 'poly' for house use this year and high up on my list, are tomatoes. Most of the Hairy Bikers cookery books use loads of them.
Like most people, we grow them every year but obviously, some varieties are tastier than others. We've been disappointed in the past, because some of them that we've grown have been pretty bland and tasteless but Karen has definitely ordered the tasty sort.
Which ones do you grow and would recommend as being flavoursome? What are your favourites?

mousjoos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 14 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Green Zebra, but was difficult to get them at the point of ripeness

Also like Andine Rouge, & the eternal favourite Coeur de Boeuf

VM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 14 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've liked Costuluto Fiorentino when we've grown them, plus Black Russian.

Bungo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 14 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The variety they sell in Lidl, Chico Rosso ,are a very tasty cherry , and crop pretty early.

gythagirl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 14 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always Sungold, every year!

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 14 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet olive - they are small cherry - tasty, and loads of them. We roast them and blend into a sauce that we then use to make soup, pasta sauce, pizza topping and so on.

Shan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 14 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always grow Galina Cherry. It is very flavourful and extremely bountiful.

Another really good flavoured one that produces very well is Tigerella.

magicmaker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 14 12:37 pm    Post subject: Tomatoes Reply with quote

I grow many different varieties of tomatoes and tend to have a mix of those to eat fresh and to cook with.
My favorite for soup, sauce, cooking and freezing are Moskovich, Orange Banana or Jugo. All are large tomatoes and easy to skin.

For eating, the earliest tomato by far is Latah (Real Seeds). Smallish red tom and a fantastic flavour.

One of the sweetest is Ildi and I have grown that for years mainly because the toms do not drop off the vines. They produce huge amounts of smallish yellow fruit and the advantage is I can normally keep them up to Christmas. Before the frosts come I cut the stem and hang them in a cool place.

I love the heirloom varieties but some of the more modern Gardeners Delight and Ailsa Craig are excellent tomatoes. I could go on and on as tomatoes are a joy to grow !

gregotyn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 14 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sungold for me too this year. I'm fed up of growing what I've been given in the past to find no taste, (probably why I have been given them in the first place) so I'm doing my own this time as we are late up here I'm in no hurry.I did grow Ildi one year but couldn't get them to ripen so had to take litterally hundreds of flower heads off to encourage them to ripen what was already there before the frost got them. I cut whole trusses off-very prolific.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 14 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet million is the only ones i have ever had any real success with

intercropped with chillies

madcat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 14 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Striped Stuffer are ace, my Green Zebras ripened to a sort of reddish colour but tasted good. Tigerella. Did well and also vintage wine which is a big beefy one

dan1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 14 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardeners delight is a reliable tasty one. Golden thing (cant remember 2nd name, sunrise?) nice yellow one. Pommodoro roma nano for oven drying. Marmande as a beefy one, though they take ages to ripen.
Gonna try some bush varieties this year to see if not pinching out is a big boon

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 14 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomatoes? Reply with quote

Bodger wrote:
I've had my orders as to what I've got to grow in the 'poly' for house use this year and high up on my list, are tomatoes. Most of the Hairy Bikers cookery books use loads of them.
Like most people, we grow them every year but obviously, some varieties are tastier than others. We've been disappointed in the past, because some of them that we've grown have been pretty bland and tasteless but Karen has definitely ordered the tasty sort.
Which ones do you grow and would recommend as being flavoursome? What are your favourites?
How are you growing them?
IMHO flavour is as much affected by growing conditions as variety choice.

Bodger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 14 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the polytunnels in a well manured bed.

mochyn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 14 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We grow Ferline (amongst others) eery year. Reliable, decent size, tasty: a sort of all-rounder.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive