About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Tomatoes?
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 14 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks folks, I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open for some of those varieties. Its been a useful exercise.

Mutton

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 14 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amish Paste from the real seed company for main crop - either cooking or eating. raw.
Purple one (Ukranian) from Real Seed also good.

F1 Hybrid Sweet Million for cherry.

Have in the past grown Shirley - OK but not great. Alicante as a main crop for cooking - fine for cooking, not so great for eating compared to Sweet Million.
Underwhelmed by Gardener's Delight the year we grew it.

And for cucumber - best we've had was White Gem from Real Seed company.

yummersetter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 14 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Ferline too, tasty, blight resistant and has little gold sparkles in the skin. One of my every year choices, along with Costaluto Fiorentino and Principe Borghese. Then something small, and half a dozen unusual types.
Simpsons Seeds and Seeds of Italy have good ranges.

robkb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 14 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galina is a really tasty yellow cherry.

Also trying Black Russian and Gigante Liscio this year.

DorsetScott

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 14 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm growing Gardeners Delight, Green Zebra, Purple ukraine, White Cherry, Alinta and Moneymaker this year. First year with a greenhouse!!!! Whoop!!!

Bodger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 14 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its early days yet, but we've just been to the local garden centre for a cup of coffee and the big greenhouse was full of tomato plants. Unfortunately, it was full of Alicante, Money Maker and Shirley, with none of your interesting suggestions present.

Finsky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 14 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodger wrote:
In the polytunnels in a well manured bed.

Ah...that's why the flavour tend to suffer. Tomatoes develop better flavour when they are not grown in rich soil.
The 'recommendation' removing lower leaves from the plant to give fruit some 'sun'...is good indicator of 'too much snap' and/or too close spacing. But if the feeding is right..plants don't grow too leafy and they can be planted quite close together without shading issues.
There is not that many 'not so good tasting' tomatoes when they grown more 'hungrier' soils...you need just enough for the plants be healthy but anymore is waste.
I usually grow 20+ different varieties each year(or that's what I aim for...usually it is double amount) ..and have nearly 300 varieties of seeds in storage... ..and out of them there is only few that I can truly say they are tasteless (though with some of those I still have to do more trial 'runs' to be sure)...and I have dozen or so that have got in my 'to grow more often list'.
Most of the favourite ones are cherry types and don't tend to leave the greenhouse other in my tummy...
Sun belle is my no1...they have to be touch under ripe when eating or they will get too sweet...highlander I like a lot too.. and generally green toms appeal to my palate as well.
Um...I like beef tomatoes too...huge truly ripe one, when just one thick slice from it will fill slice of bread...best sarnies are made of those toms... Some years ago I got some 'Mexican' tomato seeds from Kokkopelli...and they are FAB! HUGE pointy 'cooking' tomatoes..one grows far to big to fit into tin..the plant try to grow more the whoppers that it can carry. So the trusses will need some help from supports..but the fruit is actually very nice to eat raw rather than cook with them....nicely meaty but not dry..only few seeds and not much 'watery bits' and enough sweetness to have good flavour too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive