Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
What I do on Mondays!
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 53, 54, 55  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

Location: In a small wood on the edge of the Huntingdonshire Wolds
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 16 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More fungi from Monday, now I have the names:

The Blushing Milkcap (Lactarius controversus). Quite a large specimen and the mycologists thought it might be a new county record, though they haven't confirmed that.

The Scaly Earthball (Scleroderma verrucosum). Look a lot like puffballs, but are black inside if you cut them open, and are definitely not edible.

Henry

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 16 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures and IDs Buzzy. Must say I find fungi difficult. We have some starting in the woods now, so I must find the time to go around with the books for a bit of ID work.

buzzy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 16 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
Thanks for the pictures and IDs Buzzy. Must say I find fungi difficult. We have some starting in the woods now, so I must find the time to go around with the books for a bit of ID work.

Fungi are easy enough if you have Mr Mycology with you. Though even he has to take some home and look at their spores through a microscope!

Henry

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 16 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any sort of shroom where the choice between dinner and a short,nasty week to say one's farewells requires a microscope.

as a subject of interest spore details are very useful with some shrooms.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 16 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I don't have one of the about the place Buzzy. I have to make do with a couple of books. I have Collins and another one, so try to check between them to see if they are correct in both.

buzzy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 16 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't go anywhere this week as I had to stay at home and dog-sit.

But here is a picture taken an hour or so ago in the garden:

A somewhat fuzzy picture of a Coal Tit (Periparus ater). So what, you might well say. So nothing, except that it's the first one I have seen here in thirty five years! Another new species for the garden!

Back to walking next week, as far as I know.

Henry

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 16 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coal tits aren't the commonest birds, so that is good Henry. I thought we had coal tits in the woods, but even better, they are marsh tits. Saw one earlier this year so glad to say they are still with us.

buzzy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 16 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I've not been for a walk for a couple of weeks, for a variety of reasons, and Jaki is a bit poorly at the moment so I'm not sure when I'll next go out.

But here is a photograph of autumn leaves in the drive to tide you over, and I'll try and get some more exciting ones in the next day or so.

Tell me if you like (or don't like!) random leaf pictures. I love the colour of these Elm leaves.

Henry

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 16 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely picture Buzzy. Hope Jaki is better soon and that you are able to get out again soon.

We have had beech leaves falling around us like snow, and the colours are really lovely too. There is a copper beech in a neighbouring village that had all shades of orange, red and brown the other day too. The leaves don't stay on the trees so long in the UK as in the US and Canada, but they still make a good show at this time of year.

buzzy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 16 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again everybody. This Monday I felt able to leave Jaki for a few hours and join the walkers.

A rather grey misty day, and the walk was notable for the number of species of fungi that we found - forty six in total.

The one that caused the loudest OOOOOHs from our mycologist was this one:

which is the Poplar Bell (Schizophyllum amplum). It's supposed to be rare, but we found lots of it on dead poplar species.

We also found a troop of Magpie Inkcaps (Coprinopsis picacea):

but I think that the award for the prettiest goes to this one:

which is the Haresfoot Inkcap (Coprinopsis lagopus).

I hope that normal walking will be resumed next year, but Jaki is still waiting for an appointment with a neurologist! We shall see.

Henry

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 16 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice shroom snaps,the bells might be quite rare ,first time i have seen them and there are quite a lot of poplars up north, i spotted some of the haresfoots in knarebourough last saturday. i agree they are delightful wee things, this time of year does seem to have many of the tiny but cute shrooms in season, i reckon i must learn to address more of them by name the "tiny arms with various numbers of fingers" are a set i would like to get to know better, there seem to be far more species that most books list.
hope Jaki is ok and your walks and snaps continue.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 16 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely pictures Buzzy, thank you. I haven't seen the poplar bell or the haresfoot inkcap, but found some magpie inkcap in the wood a few weeks ago. We have had them before, and they are rather pretty. The haresfoot inkcap is really pretty.

Hope Jacki is soon better and gets her appointment soon.

buzzy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 17 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having tried to visit one site two Mondays running, and having been rained both times, we altered our venue this week, and we got fog instead of rain! But that didn't put us off, and we had quite a successful walk. It started with quite good views of a Water Rail skulking in a ditch next to the carpark. Then it was out on to the wash bank, and we walked, and dodged the sheep droppings (and occasionally the sheep), and looked to see what was about.

We saw lots of swans - mainly distant Bewick's and Whooper, with a few Mute as well. We had good views of a Stonechat, and the were a lot of Meadow Pipits fluttering around the grass by the path. A few distant predators, including Buzzards, and a Hen Harrier (which I failed to see). Assorted ducks loomed in the distance. When we got back to the carpark, a Kingfisher provided the last sighting.

Here is a distant Whooper Swan (Cygnus cygnus), seen through the fog:

Hoping to get to that other site next week, so don't be surprised if it rains!

Henry

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 17 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds an interesting walk.

buzzy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 17 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, last night it rained, and this morning I woke to fog, so I had some doubts as to whether we would get out. However, no texts, 'phone calls or emails told me of cancellation, so I went out for my lift at the usual time and place, and off we went.

We saw assorted skeins of geese flying (and honking) over head. There were several Buzzards, including two perched on a pile of straw bales, looking, as far as one could tell at the distance, rather fed up. There was also a mystery bird, seen only in silhouette, at a distance, that seemed to have a crest, raising hopes of a Waxwing, but those intrepid few who went for a closer view didn't get a good sighting, I suppose it has to go down as a Waxwasn't!

We did, however, see what we went to see, the Scarlet Elf Cup (Sarcoscypha coccinea):

These were very young specimens, and coyly hiding beneath dead leaves, unlike the ones we usually see at a different site which burst proudly through the moss.

If we had got to this site earlier (cancelled twice because of rain) we probably would have been to early,

Henry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 25 of 55
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive