Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Costing the Earth: Energy storage.
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 14 2:38 pm    Post subject: Costing the Earth: Energy storage. Reply with quote

Now playing on Radio 4...

Nick

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 14 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compressed air in hollow salt caverns. Very interesting!

And, the Sheffield firm, ITM, selling technology to the Germans for hydrogen storage are very interesting people. And customers.

baldybloke

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 14 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bang goes the Theory discussed liquidified air a while back. Looked really interesting. Listening to the programme on I Player at the moment.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 14 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:

Led me to think of all the abandoned mine workings around the place and whether any of those can be made airtight.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 14 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairyloon wrote:
Nick wrote:

Led me to think of all the abandoned mine workings around the place and whether any of those can be made airtight.

mostly not imho

Shane

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 14 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were trialling the compressed air thing in the States a few years back, from memory (didn't listen to the programme - apologies if it was covered).

I'd think that pumping water up high and then using it run turbines on the way back down again must be more efficient - compressors waste a lot of energy by heating up the air that they compress. But then I guess you don't have to worry about 10% of your air evaporating, so maybe it's swings and roundabouts.

baldybloke

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 14 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody is considering reducing the amount we consume and using what we have more efficiently.

Nick

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 14 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane wrote:
They were trialling the compressed air thing in the States a few years back, from memory (didn't listen to the programme - apologies if it was covered).

I'd think that pumping water up high and then using it run turbines on the way back down again must be more efficient - compressors waste a lot of energy by heating up the air that they compress. But then I guess you don't have to worry about 10% of your air evaporating, so maybe it's swings and roundabouts.

The limit is that we don't have many high places we can shove a billion gallons of water without trashin the place. Underground is easier. A point they made is these are not either /or answers, we need multiple solutions.

Reduction is part of the issue, but not the brief of this show, to be fair.

Shane

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 14 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underground is only easier if you have a spare salt cavern lying around that hasn't been earmarked for gas storage...

Nick

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 14 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were making them, in Northern Ireland.

vegplot

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 14 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't listen to the programme but the way we generate and consume energy is very mis-matched. Did it discuss ways of better utilising the energy at the point of production to avoid costly storage?

Nick

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 14 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, it was about Energy Storage, rather than avoiding it.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 14 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because almost all of our renewable energy is neither constant nor under our control.

I'm surprised they didn't mention flow batteries (unless I missed it). They seem like quite a good idea...

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 14 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldybloke wrote:
Nobody is considering reducing the amount we consume and using what we have more efficiently.

Agree

We are trying to have a plan to wean off of oil, but it is long term, as I cannot waste the 2 x oil boilers we have that are 10 years old. I was talking to the engineer yesterday, and it is definately something that is closer, as I think the life expectancy of our boiler is about 15 years.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 14 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison wrote:
baldybloke wrote:

Agree

There was a discussion about it on the wireless some time back. I was proper annoyed with them because they cut it short for a non-discussion about poultry fraud.

Quote:
We are trying to have a plan to wean off of oil, but it is long term, as I cannot waste the 2 x oil boilers we have that are 10 years old. I was talking to the engineer yesterday, and it is definately something that is closer, as I think the life expectancy of our boiler is about 15 years.

Will it not burn biofuel?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive