links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Ideas for using land (without animals)
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 14 10:37 am    Post subject: Ideas for using land (without animals) Reply with quote

I have been lucky enough to gain the use of three acres of slightly overgrown grassland. I'm not going to be living on the property, so I don't want the tie of animals just yet. What else could I do with it? I've some ideas, but I'm looking for as great a range of ideas as possible. Long or short term plans are welcome.

There are various small greenhouses and vegetable beds, which I will be using, and plenty of soft fruit and orchards, which need a little maintenance. It's the bulk of it I'm wondering about the use of.

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 14 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Food forest! Off out now but can spam you with info later?

Small scale timber production - willow or hazel coppice. Charcoal making?

Rented out for grazing.

Campsite??

gardening-girl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 14 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glamping.
Put up a poly-tunnel.Grow plants for sale.
Soft fruit.

Oh I wish we could find an acre, leave alone 3.

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 14 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I always wanted to do was set up an area for mushroom growing

wellington womble

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 14 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have mentioned I can't make any money out of it* Stopping me having to spend money is a different matter, though...

Love the idea of mushrooms - hadn't thought of that. I'd been thinking along the coppiced firewood lines, but I don't want to do that with all of it. Probably half, which will leave me an acre or so to experiment on.

*at least overtly. So anything like camping or pick your own is out. Growing lavender and flogging dried flowers, I'd probably get away with I'd prefer something to save me money though, I think. Keeps in with the planning and sort of saves money. I'm expecting some equipment outlay.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 14 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you did 28 days of camping you wouldn't make a profit, more like a little money, that would fund the whole project for later.

Rob R

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 14 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
I should have mentioned I can't make any money out of it*

Anything agricultural, and you'll be fine

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 14 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit takes a lot of space, pends how long term you have it for

as do things like cucumbers, globe artichokes etc etc

mow some for creating diverse grassland

Cathryn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 14 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you hear the Food Programme this afternoon? There was a woman with a three acre vineyard on. She said it was earning her as much or more than other working mothers and was more enjoyable than many jobs. It would suit you. I did read the bit about not making money but there's always barter.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 14 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just what are you implying, Cathryn?! (I love the idea, actually, and am off to listen to the food programme!)

The land isn't agricultural, which is the problem. It isn't even supposed to have the greenhouses or veg beds on part of it, but the planning row seems to have died down a bit and we seem to be getting away with those at the moment. It all got a bit ugly, which is why the owner has offed to France where they let you get on with things, and I have use of the land.

It's a field at the bottom of a row of gardens (the owner still owns the house, which is why water and power is possible) the gardens are full of oiks with air pistols, which is why I don't want to live there, and also why I am uncomfortable with leaving animals there alone. It's planning use is something like 'leisure activities ancillary to the dwelling' or some such nonsense (horses, I think). If I'm selling something away from the site, I don't think it will be an issue, so long as I'm not blatantly flaunting the planning laws. I don't really want it to be a job, though.

I'm not sure anyone would want to camp there. It's an old Victorian mining village, which could not really be described as pretty and there are no facilities onsite, or local touristy things really. It would be a great solution though. I'll look into it for next year (I'll probably be holidaying there with friends at intervals)

I was thinking of planting an acre or so of ash and hazel coppice, more nuts, getting some bees (there is already a youngish orchard and loads of soft fruit) and perhaps planting a crop of sunflowers (for my garden chickens) or linseed, if you can get it processed. I don't mind mowing it, but it would be nice to have a reason to mow. I might even try lavender or oats, but it's always great to hear ideas. I've always liked the idea of cut flowers, too, but that mo get be too much work to begin with.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 14 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your mention of Victorian Mining village,you`d be surprised at the interest in historical mining an exploration,
What was mined here or the area in question?
Anything of interest will no doubt bring clients.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 14 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has it got a dark sky?if so the astronomers might be interested in coffee and a nice breakfast

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 14 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want to work the land, or use it to earn a bit of cash?

A small number of car boot sales probably doesn't flaunt the planning issues, and seem profitable. Or could be offered to the local round table, or something.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 14 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put in bee hives, make sure that nobody knows they are there. The neighbours sound the sort that will either complain every time they are stung by a wasp, or their dear children will knock the hives over.

Unless you are expecting to have the land for many years, I wouldn't bother planting hazel as a crop. We planted some in our garden and it has taken over 15 years to get established and grow to a reasonable size. From an existing stool you would get useable rods after 7 years. Willow is quicker, but it is a brute to get rid of once you have it.

The dried flowers sound a good idea, or perhaps growing fruit for preserves which could be for you or for sale.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 14 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a local re-enactment group that need somewhere for weekly battle practice and living history practice? They might swap you some general maintenance like strimming or hacking back weeds for access to a bit of level ground

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive