Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Bespoke boots.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 15 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kGarden wrote:
If the only?? cobblers doing it are using 3D scan to then drive a wood cutter to make the last could it be that the plastic from 3D printers is not robust enough?

I suspect they just want to show off.

Dee J

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 15 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's useful to remember though... shoes are not foot-shaped

Shoes fit to the foot at the same sort of points as a multi-adjustable sandal, the rest of the shoe provides enough clearance to allow the foot to function - spring, bend, flex, spread. Most low-end bespoke shoes can be sized using an outline tracing plus two or three circumference measures (widest part of foot, instep, and around the heel). There have been various novel technologies based on a cast or scan of the foot.. these have always failed because of a lack of understanding of the above.

HTH

Dee

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 15 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the joys of the digital age is that things can be easily edited.
Just because you have scanned a perfect digital representation of a foot doesn't mean that you have to print that exact model.: you can adjust it and print the perfect last instead.

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 15 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but easily, and usefully, are not synonyms. Once we've fully deskilled, by scanning, editing and printing these tools, and we all have deformed feet from poor quality (but cheap! Oh, how CHEAP!) boots, we will realise this.

I think most people can use off the peg boots most of the time. If you want a bespoke, custom pair, it might be better to use an experienced, skilled older chap, ideally with an apron in either green (British Racing), claret or leather brown, and half moon specs, and be assured that he'll be there next time.

Use a 3D scanner and printer where it adds value, not just cuts costs.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 15 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
True, but easily, and usefully, are not synonyms. Once we've fully deskilled, by scanning, editing and printing these tools, and we all have deformed feet from poor quality (but cheap! Oh, how CHEAP!) boots, we will realise this.

I think most people can use off the peg boots most of the time. If you want a bespoke, custom pair, it might be better to use an experienced, skilled older chap, ideally with an apron in either green (British Racing), claret or leather brown, and half moon specs, and be assured that he'll be there next time.

Use a 3D scanner and printer where it adds value, not just cuts costs.

Yep.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 15 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:

i would say, and most of the relevant comments on this thread have reinforced that opinion, that most of the skill in bootmaking is in the making of the boots, not so much in the measuring up.
As to adding value, if a penny saved is a penny earned, then where do you draw the line between the one and the other?
Cutting costs for the sake of cutting costs is one thing, but cutting costs because there is a better way to do it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive