About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Mower for quad bike
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 15 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of those mowers/toppers in the links seem a bit low for what you wanted, which was to top reeds(Although I may not have read far enough). I had an idea that a standard quad mower could still work if you lowered the wheels and the drawbar so that the mowing part is higher off the ground and achieving your reed chomping height. Not a big job.

Mutton

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 15 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what I call top, and you call top, are probably a bit different then.

I was meaning cut to within about six inches of the ground, ideally mowing at a time of year when nothing else was that tall (other than gorse). In terms of topping, knocking off just the flower heads would be good too, come to think about it. Once we have knocked back the excess reeds, being able to skim the margins of what we are keeping, to stop them spreading back out would be useful.

Not seen a standard quad mower as such (other than what OH found) - can't picture what you are saying as haven't seen a mower in person.

gregotyn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 15 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the Teagle mowers was a quad towed mower/topper with its own engine that had a raised cutting height, which I don't know but think that height was variable; Teagle appear to have stopped making those.
I now see exactly what you want to do and will make another enquiry at my local man's yard and see if he knows if what you want is available. I didn't realise that you wanted to top so 'low' as 6" and thought were looking to top at about the flower head height. I'll ask he can find a 'normal' quad towed topper and see how high it will top to, and if needs be he could build a set of wheels to go underneath so that it would raise up to cut just the flower heads as well as the 6" height you want for basic topping. I will see him tomorrow as he has a new small chainsaw for me. I hope I have it right this time!

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 15 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting to see the local man, and ask the question!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive