Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Well worth a read and a listen
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 15 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham Hyde wrote:
Check your utility bills. CCL appears before the VAT. You all are and have been supporting this nonsense and it seems now that some of you are unaware of this fact.
How much does of this revenue is spent on the climate?
You tell me.....you are paying for it.

Not on my bills it doesn't.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 15 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great thing about science, is that just because you don't believe it, doesn't mean it's not true.

Falstaff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 15 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham Hyde wrote:
Check your utility bills. CCL appears before the VAT. You all are and have been supporting this nonsense and it seems now that some of you are unaware of this fact.

I wonder if that's even legal ?

Rob R

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 15 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falstaff wrote:
Rob R wrote:
Falstaff wrote:
Rob R wrote:
Falstaff wrote:
Rob R wrote:

..........It answers most questions about it. ............

To the tune (the programme postulates of 0.87 degrees in 140 years !

Which doesn't seem much, until you consider the rate of change in those 140 years v the previous 3.5 billion years.

Yes rob - it's been up and down like a bride's nighty !

However 0.87 degrees is statistical noise - if it's even true ! (and not even loud noise !)

The temperature has been up & down, yes, that's weather, not climate. Had the current trend continued at the rate it has for those 140 years, the temperature would have risen 21,250,000 degrees in 3.5bn years.

The noise may not be very loud to you, but where I'm standing, 29ft above sea level, it's loud enough.

Rob - it goes Up and Down !

What have we had ? 200 Ice ages in that time ? - but that's "Weather" whereas 0.87 degrees (maybe) in 140 years - "That's Climate "

0.85/7 degrees is an average TREND, the temperature can rise and drop below and above the trend (or average) and continue to maintain the same trend line. The worrying thing about climate change is not that it is changing, but that the rate at which it is changing is quicker than we, and other species, can adapt to cope with it.

Falstaff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 15 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob R wrote:
Falstaff wrote:
Rob R wrote:
Falstaff wrote:
Rob R wrote:
Falstaff wrote:
Rob R wrote:

Which doesn't seem much, until you consider the rate of change in those 140 years v the previous 3.5 billion years.

However 0.87 degrees is statistical noise - if it's even true ! (and not even loud noise !)

The temperature has been up & down, yes, that's weather, not climate. Had the current trend continued at the rate it has for those 140 years, the temperature would have risen 21,250,000 degrees in 3.5bn years.

The noise may not be very loud to you, but where I'm standing, 29ft above sea level, it's loud enough.

What have we had ? 200 Ice ages in that time ? - but that's "Weather" whereas 0.87 degrees (maybe) in 140 years - "That's Climate "

0.85/7 degrees is an average TREND, the temperature can rise and drop below and above the trend (or average) and continue to maintain the same trend line. The worrying thing about climate change is not that it is changing, but that the rate at which it is changing is quicker than we, and other species, can adapt to cope with it.

0.87 degrees is the total supposed change over 140 years !

Graham Hyde

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 15 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi RobR.
I've not been paying utility bills in the UK for some time so am not aware of the manner of your bill.
CCL used to be itemised on all utility bills. I do not know if it still is. What I do know is that it is vatable.

Rob R

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 15 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falstaff wrote:
Rob R wrote:
Falstaff wrote:
Rob R wrote:
Falstaff wrote:
Rob R wrote:
Falstaff wrote:
Rob R wrote:

0.87 degrees is the total supposed change over 140 years !

The source you cited gives 0.85 degrees, but yes. A small amount over a relatively small period of time.

I've only been around 30odd years, but even I can see it changing, and it's getting wetter, here.

Rob R

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 15 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham Hyde wrote:
Hi RobR.
I've not been paying utility bills in the UK for some time so am not aware of the manner of your bill.
CCL used to be itemised on all utility bills. I do not know if it still is. What I do know is that it is vatable.

Electric generated by renewables is exempt from the levy.

Graham Hyde

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 15 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jamanda.
Who or what are 'scientists' Someone in a white lab coat?
I am not saying all are wrong about everything, just some about something.
Read Patrick Moores first book where he explains that the craters on the moon are extinct volcanoes.
Read how 'scientists' say over 70% of the universe is missing and mumble about dark matter.
People do make mistakes, speak about things when ill informed.
This world is amazing and I don't think we will ever know all its mysteries. What I do know is life is too short to get annoyed with people over silly differences of opinion.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 15 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
I watched the remainder of Climate by numbers,very interesting indeed,
But one of the calculations made by the 2nd presenter based on Kreager in the South African gold fields,when working out the value of gold in the area,just did`nt add up for me,
If that had been working out the value of coal in the under lying land with varying horizontal seams,it was feasible,
But with most metal minerals,the lodes are varying vertical with barren ground between,and only following the course of the lode could a fairly accurate value be based on the land.

What also bug`s me is,of these climate change scientists given the data they have at hand,proven in the link,and numerous links following,20 -30 years ago they were predicting a return to the Ice Age,then all of a sudden it was the Ozone layer,Green House gases,Global Warming and now Climate Change.

Graham Hyde

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 15 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob R.
Yes, always was but the remaining is VATable.

Falstaff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 15 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob R wrote:

Quote:

......0.87 degrees is the total supposed change over 140 years !

The source you cited gives 0.85 degrees, but yes. A small amount over a relatively small period of time.

I've only been around 30odd years, but even I can see it changing, and it's getting wetter, here.

Rob - even th e programme you quote says there has been NO Warming since 2000 ! so you'd be very observant !

However, each of us remembers those "Long hot days of summer" from our childhood - and yes for a young man, whatever the age, the weather DOES seem to get wetter as we become adult !

That is to do with how the brain remembers time as we get older - that's all !

Graham Hyde

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 15 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no doubt that humans are impacting on the earths environment. However, what is in doubt are the proposed measures to be taken to manage that impact.
Influential people and institutions have goals that are not the aim of the common man.
If, for your own and your children's sake you wish to make a difference, however small, I admire you.

Rob R

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 15 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty Gwyn wrote:
Rob,
I watched the remainder of Climate by numbers,very interesting indeed,
But one of the calculations made by the 2nd presenter based on Kreager in the South African gold fields,when working out the value of gold in the area,just did`nt add up for me,
If that had been working out the value of coal in the under lying land with varying horizontal seams,it was feasible,
But with most metal minerals,the lodes are varying vertical with barren ground between,and only following the course of the lode could a fairly accurate value be based on the land.

What also bug`s me is,of these climate change scientists given the data they have at hand,proven in the link,and numerous links following,20 -30 years ago they were predicting a return to the Ice Age,then all of a sudden it was the Ozone layer,Green House gases,Global Warming and now Climate Change.

I don't know about the gold analogy, but presumably it worked.

As for the inaccuracies of science, most may be wrong, but the more we learn, and the more changes we make (like CFC's) moves the goalposts. I don't know how accurate the estimates are, but one things for sure, reducing and stabilising carbon emissions can't do any harm, and getting more carbon in our soils can only do us some good, particularly if we have to deal with wetter seasons.

Graham Hyde

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 15 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R22 was banned in most 'developed' countries. These 'developed' countries had a safe and efficient operating procedure with R22.
R22 was therefore sold and is still to 'developing' countries who had no safe and efficient operating procedures.
Look to the Middle East, an extremely large market for an example.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive