Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Battery vs petrol chainsaws
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 15 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:
Quote:
STIHL recommends storing a 2-cycle fuel mixture prepared using E10 fuel for no more than 30 days in order to minimize phase separation. In this context, "phase separation" means: the ethanol absorbs moisture from the air and settles to the bottom of the canister. This can cause engines to run roughly or not at all. Phase separated fuel is no longer suitable for use even after being shaken vigorously.

Note E10 is petrol with 10% ethanol.

Oh bleedin' great !

I had idly mused as to how they got the last 5% of water out of the distillate (Ethanol only distils to around 95% purity under perfect conditions) - Apparently they don't bother !

So now the distillate falls apart in the tank - or in the petrol can sitting in my garage !

So now I have to root about for the old man's tun dish - the one which has a filter fine enough to remove water !

Clearly I've not run foul of these problems yet and am still running on 50 years of experience = pre "carbonisation"

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 15 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As biodiesel is inclined to grow bugs, I am not totally convinced that the addition of biofuels to conventional ones is really doing a lot for either our way of life or our carbon footprint. When you think about all the new bits of engine that have to be made to replace damaged ones, it must work our less carbon friendly.

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 15 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am definitely in the camp where making something last longer is possibly more environmentally friendly than updating to the latest technology.
New diesel engines are fitted now with a micro particulate filter. Great for the planet & inner city pollution but if the vehicle has a lot of stops & starts (like the posties van) the filter soon clogs & costs circa £4,000 to replace!!!
Something we don't see when buying vehicles & something that should be advertised IMHO is the amounts of carbon used in manufacture & expected lifespan.
Averaged out & added to the emissions it might not be any less than the ten or twenty year old banger in the drive.
Of course if you want zero emissions, cheap & low energy manufacture & a long (& healthy) life you want one of these.

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 15 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry bit of a thread hijack. Wondering if you could run a decent flywheel & circular saw off the back axle of a bike.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 15 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For cutting up felled trees into logs or even planks a water powered table saw would be a more likely option for me. A future project possibly but I expect it'll require doing everything yourself rather than finding a suitable, modifiable, kit.

On the subject of bikes we're looking at an electric bike as well, but that's for a different thread if I can muster the energy.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 15 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be possible to set up some sort of pedal powered circular saw, but you would probably have to work it all out for yourself, as I can't see B&Q or even your local agricultural or foresty supplier selling them.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 15 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
For cutting up felled trees into logs or even planks a water powered table saw would be a more likely option for me. A future project possibly but I expect it'll require doing everything yourself rather than finding a suitable, modifiable, kit.

On the subject of bikes we're looking at an electric bike as well, but that's for a different thread if I can muster the energy.

re electric bikes we have a pair of whisper se 905's .electric off road ,quite heavy but very strong and go anywhere .1 in 3 up on tarmac no prob ,muddy field no prob,>30kmh easy on flat.comfy ,30kg luggage or load on rack.

i dont know about city bikes apart from our ones are good for city as they dont mind potholes and on good tatmac locking the pneumatic front forks stiffens the ride for extra speed.

ps the 14a/36v batteries are bigger than many and give about an hour flat out not peddling ,far more/further if you pedal

i recon the "cheap"ones look carp compared to these which are very tough.

in five years one has done a lot of distance and the other has done off road and loads and moderate distance,both are still in good nick.

very similar to this

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive