About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
sat nav app
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 15 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Waze on the iPhone and it's brilliant - also available on Android, according to Google. It uses an open source map and is by far the most up to date for this area (Google is hopelessly out of date and the latest map in the Garmin satnav I use in the desert is even worse). Waze also gets feedback on traffic flow from every online user and uses it to keep the map of congestion up-to-date, and also reroutes you if traffic gets too slow on your route.

vegplot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 15 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's available for Windows Phone as well. I'll give it a go.

vegplot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 15 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not used Waze in anger yet but first impressions are really very good. Nice and simple and plenty of feedback options to report traffic and mapping errors.

Shane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 15 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One good thing I like about Waze is that if you arrive in a new country, jump on the airport's wifi and plug in your destination, it will download the map between the airport and where you're going and all the roads for a mile or two on each side of the route.

It also lets me send an ETA to other Waze users, which is handy if I'm on my way to see someone and get stuck in Doha's highly-variable traffic.

I bought (at significant expense) the map for Asia for my Garmin satnav and it doesn't even have decent coverage of places like Bangkok or KL. Waze is free and stomps all over the Garmin maps.

Google tried to buy Waze a few months ago, which shows you how worried they are about it.

vegplot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 15 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane wrote:

It also lets me send an ETA to other Waze users, which is handy if I'm on my way to see someone and get stuck in Doha's highly-variable traffic.

That's the only fly in the ointment. So far I've found this feature to be unreliable. Send the link to the map via email works fine but the end user get's a "route not valid" type of error. Other than that it's great.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive