About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Bird nest box, bat box, etc
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 16 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked a friend who does bat rescue here in the United States.

Beautiful Bats

Here's what she had to say:

Re: bat houses: Most people who put up bat houses are lucky to get one to three males in residence, and even that may take a few years. There are so many factors to be considered and they change frequently. In years past, it was critical to mount the house on a pole rather than a building (wrong!), to smear bat guano on the landing pad to attract bats (wrong, again) and other such nonsense. There are valid considerations as to placement, sun exposure, ventilation and size, though. If you have someone in particular who's planning to put up a bat house, I'd be glad to talk to the prospective bat landlord.

I'm told that one cannot attract a maternity colony unless an existing colony has been evicted in the immediate neighborhood. I've had a minimum of five different houses (various styles and locations) on the property for the nineteen years I've lived here. Had a few males in a few of the houses all along, but two years ago a maternity colony of 46 big browns moved in. I am over the moon with that. Last year they discovered two loose shingles on my roof and abandoned my houses for that preferred site. The lesson I learned is that bat houses are far from ideal lodging, but I would never discourage anyone from putting up a house. Bats need all the help they can get.

We're hoping to replace our roof this year. The project will be timed to avoid any conflict with the bats and I've hired a roofer who is exceptionally bat-friendly.

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 16 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

British trust for ornithology nest box site.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive