About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
trellis thing for excluding cats?
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 16 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our thermopane windows crank to open outwards. We also have screens - they fit the windows on the inside.

And if a cat wants out, why then it will get out

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3524111/The-ultimate-cat-burglar-Crafty-feline-figures-ingenious-way-squeeze-seemingly-impenetrable-locked-door-Bangkok.html

Mutton

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 16 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great link JL - by the way "thermopane window" is that what I'd call double glazing?

As to external shutters - you need to have inward opening casement windows or sash windows to be able to fasten/unfasten the shutters from inside the house, rather than outside. If no internal access to the fastening on the shutters then you'd be trapped in the house if it caught fire when the shutters are closed across the window.

I grew up in a house with single glazed sash windows and internal wooden shutters that fitted closely over the window. Far more effective than curtains.

I could put internal shutters on our windows in our modern house - but then I couldn't have houseplants on the window sills. So I fancy, one day, having thick external shutters that close over the windows, properly fitted with no draughts round the edges, so that they will increase the insulation. Won't ever happen in reality unless I suddenly have lots of money to pay a carpenter to do them. Probably would need a frame around the window too, for the "close fitting draught free" bit. Not enough time in the year, other things have priority (like the animals, planting more trees, finishing the raspberry bed etc etc) but it would be nice. Though would need to swap to sash windows of some sort, so I can open the shutters from inside the house AND still have houseplants on the window sill.
Still dreaming.....

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 16 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mutton, what I call "thermopane" has two panes of glass with a very narrow gap between, framed as a single unit.

Mr Jam Lord likes the crank-out style of window very much as they seal tight. I dislike them as cleaning the outside of the windows on the upper story is awkward to say the least.

Small air gap insulates better than a wider one. For windows on the colder side of the house I have simple fleece curtains - one piece just a little wider than the window that are pulled close at night, using a tension rod that fits between sides of window frame. Decorative curtains in addition on rods outside the window frame.

The nice thing with fleece is that it doesn't need to be hemmed, just cut to size with scissors. I used white and off white but fleece is available in many colors. Clip-on curtain rings make it easy peasy.

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 16 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to trellis... Do you have anything like this that could fit in the gap?

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 16 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your idea of a gap-filling screen with partially open door will be difficult - how do you keep the solid door from moving and becoming more open.

Here's a pop-fit, dowel and screen version: https://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Screen-Door/?ALLSTEPS

wellington womble

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 16 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it worth looking at motor home or caravan screen doors? They've had them for ages, so there might be different models and sizes to suit.

I'm guessing this is too big?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xpanda-Trellis-Security-expanding-lattice/dp/B01BQ7OB9G?ie=UTF8&keywords=Lattice%20security%20door&qid=1460750915&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 16 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a cat could saunter right through

wellington womble

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 16 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine so, too. But I'm guessing that's the sort of thing you want with smaller holes?

Mutton

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 16 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam Lady wrote:
I think your idea of a gap-filling screen with partially open door will be difficult - how do you keep the solid door from moving and becoming more open.

Here's a pop-fit, dowel and screen version: https://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Screen-Door/?ALLSTEPS

Sliding patio doors are heavy and don't tend to move on their own.

@ww - um - sort of. That is fixed to the door frame and was really looking for something that you'd stand inside the patio door frame when you slide the door open. So open the door a set amount, stand "thing" in the gap, pull door a fraction more closed to wedge it. Same principle as the window ones for dogs.

But I think this does all say there is nothing commercial. Thanks folks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive