Latest Articles
on a happy theme...please join in we need it
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 16 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yummersetter wrote:
Joyous.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln3wAdRAim4&feature=share
I love this, I have been waiting to see it since I heard about it.
love the secret service car tailing them all the time...

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 16 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even though sammy mouse has been excavating my recently planted fish box of radishes he has gone between the rows and done almost no damage(once i brushed his tailings off a few recently emerged seedlings)

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 16 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's lucky. Now you need to stop him going in the boxes.

My plants seem to be growing a bit, so now think I might get some crops apart from potatoes this year.

gz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 16 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourdough bread #2 looks much better than the dark brown Dwarf bread discus which was #1

The oven needs a new thermostat....cheaper fix was getting an oven thermometer!

Next, how do I get it to slide off the (floured) breadboard so that it doesn't deflate in the process ?!

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 16 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a palette knife helps but transferring the dough to the cooking tray and then loaf proving until it is suitably risen is best

timings at each stage depends on temp etc etc etc but the sequence of mix,knead,dough prove,shape,transfer, loaf prove,knock back,loaf prove again seems to work best with sourdoughs

mousjoos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 16 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well pump is now fully connected to the house...so in effect I shall have "free" water for a good part of the year

This has only been 13 years in the making, from when the idea was first mooted

Next up solar panels for hot water....may be in place by the time I retire

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 16 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even on the north yorks coast solar water heating pays for itself in a few years and adds quite a few degrees to the feed water even in winter so i guess in southern france it is very cost effective.

gz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 16 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
a palette knife helps but transferring the dough to the cooking tray and then loaf proving until it is suitably risen is best

timings at each stage depends on temp etc etc etc but the sequence of mix,knead,dough prove,shape,transfer, loaf prove,knock back,loaf prove again seems to work best with sourdoughs

I'm using a cast iron bakestone in the oven...I need to get me a wooden peel,I think

yummersetter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 16 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its tricky and I've wrecked a few loaves getting them on to a peel, but those who are good at it say use lots of semolina.

GrahamH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 16 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mix and knead in a large s/s bowl and then transfer straight to the greased loaf tin.....no proving or second rise, no floury worktop surface to clean.
I put the loaf tin into the glass fronted oven to rise and turn on the oven when the bread has risen sufficiently. No need to open the door which could cause the bread to collapse (using All Purpose Flour here which is not as robust as bread flour).
100% success rate, quick, no mess, no fuss.

I have changed from the steel loaf baking tins to the glass Pyrex type.
A lot easier to clean and store.

W.I. Australia publication stated that tests showed 7 minutes was sufficient kneading time for ordinary breads. Most bread recipes, in my opinion overly complicated.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 16 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there graham ,long time no read

the thing with sourdough is that the long ferment /proves not only does the rising but does the taste as well so times and temps are important

i keep it quick and simple with "bakers" yeast probably around an hour from start to oven.

today's gardening jolly is that even the little random tomatoes are starting ti flower and set fruit.they are far too tiny for a decent crop but it will be interesting to see what , if anything, they manage to ripen

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 16 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say use a loaf tin too. Not quite so rustic, but far easier to handle and the bread can't spread, so has to go upwards. Nice to hear from you Graham.

gz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 16 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Graham, hope all has been well with you...or just very busy?!!

Today we went to a Vintage Vehicle show...mainly tractors

and mud....!!

The Pirate learned to drive on one of these...age 9

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 16 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-Knead Bread

3 cups bread flour, more for dusting
¼ teaspoon instant yeast
1¼ teaspoons salt
Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed
1 5/8 cups tepid water.

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

2. After 18 hours, a little less, somewhat more, whatever, floop the dough mass out onto a floured work surface. Turn one end over the middle. Turn the other end over the folded first end, cover with the plastic wrap and let the dough rest from this wild activity for about 15 minutes. The original article directs you to flour a dish towel (not, emphatically not, terrycloth with all its little dough-holding loops) and upend the dough onto it. Since you'll later be quasi-pouring the dough into a pot this seemed rather hazardous to me. My technique: put a Silpat mat on a cookie sheet. Flour the Silpat mat, and put the dough on that. Cover with a floured dish towel, and let it rise, slowly, slowly, for 2 hours.

3. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 2 1/2 quart, heavy covered pot (cast iron, Le Creuset enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Remove lid. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 20 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.

Yield: One 1½-pound loaf.

Great crust, good crumb, excellent flavor. And I love the crinkle / crackle / singing to me sounds it makes as it begins to cool in a few minutes after it comes out of the oven.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 16 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. We have two solar hot water panels. If anyone is interested I will query Mr Jam Lord for details.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive