Latest Articles
Rosemary
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 16 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
Sherbs wrote:
I have made rosemary oil with mine in the past

infusion or steam distillation for essential oil?

I just put large sprigs of rosemary in a bottle of olive oil and leave it in the cupboard until it's needed or given away to family. It works pretty well and it's lovely for roasting veg, especially potatoes and carrots.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 16 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oil infusion , tis nice for cooking or using almond oil to make rubbing/bath oil

i wonder if it would infuse in a plain shampoo for an ace hair wash product?

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 16 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try making a strong rosemary oil and adding a bit of that to shampoo. It might diffuse straight into it. Worth a try with a little bit, but not too sure of the keeping properties, so could end up smelling horrible.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 16 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told you should dry rosemary before infusing else there is a risk of unpleasant bacteria.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 16 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairyloon wrote:
I was told you should dry rosemary before infusing else there is a risk of unpleasant bacteria.

C Bot. is a possible but unless you dry above 120 C for 15 mins any spores can remain viable.

to sterilise herbs ,vac pack and 20 mins in a pressure cooker would do the job.

or perhaps just pour hot oil onto the fresh herbs.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 16 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
or perhaps just pour hot oil onto the fresh herbs.

Hot meaning more than 120°C?
Is that hot enough to destroy the benefit of cold pressing the oil?

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 16 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure you will be able to extract oil from rosemary by cold pressing; this method is used for things like rape seed and olive stones.

The way that good quality herb extracts are produced is to put a very large amount into a container, which can be a pressure vessel or something not dissimilar to a shipping container, then passing steam through it. This gives the essential oil. We have a farm at the other end of the county that does this and went there with the Farmers Market one year. Fields of various herbs and other plants grown for their oils and we saw some actual oils they had produced and the equipment they used. They make most of the oil of peppermint used in certainly the UK and possibly Europe. They make lots of other essential oils too.

I agree about being sure the herbs or oils have been heated to avoid the risk of botulism bacteria if they are for food use.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 16 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
I am not sure you will be able to extract oil from rosemary by cold pressing; this method is used for things like rape seed and olive stones.

I meant to cold press the oil to infuse the rosemary into.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 16 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to go to those extremes. You can buy cold pressed oil easily enough. I don't think it will damage the oil to heat it to above 120C for a few minutes if you are going to eat the rosemary oil. The other methods of extraction use steam under pressure and some chemicals I think, which is what some people object to.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 16 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the C Bot. issue is from the herb ( and the water in the herb or garlic or veg) part rather than the oil . i recon a pressure cooker on a bag of herbs would both kill any spores and open up the oil bearing vesicles ready for infusing if heating the oil and using that to sterilise it might mess up the oil flavour .

going by adding rosemary to roast spuds etc rosemary oil seems quite temp/ oxidation stable so heating the sprigs to 120c with no air should not alter the flavour or smell.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 16 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would agree with that Dpack.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive