Latest Articles
Storing Quince
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 16 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good for me, I'm still looking for fruit to scroll

yummersetter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 16 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cook them in slices then freeze them. I had a delicious cooked quince slice, fennel, pecan and red onion salad today at Heligan. Lovely imaginative food there.

Nick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 16 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shan wrote:
Nick wrote:
Maybe. Send me your postcode and I'll see if I can work it into my plans.

Yes yes yes. I know I've been before but there's lots of women in Wales I've visited. I can't remember all of them individually.

I feel so cheap!!!

Well. Yes.

Ps. Thanks for the pm.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 16 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not heard of fruit scrolls. Any chance of a picture or link. And yes, quince wine is good.

Nick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 16 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
Not heard of fruit scrolls. Any chance of a picture or link. And yes, quince wine is good.

Broadly, think of fruit, pulped and laid on a sheet in a thin layer to dry til it's just about tacky. Slice into strips, and roll up. All the fibre, all the sugar, all the flavour, most of the vitamins but 90% of the water gone. Handy in lunch boxes or when out and about. Not as fresh as fruit but not as heavy. And you can mix fruits.

I'm sure Pils can provide accurate stuff, but that's broadly there.

Slim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 16 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Mistress Rose wrote:

Broadly, think of fruit, pulped and laid on a sheet in a thin layer to dry til it's just about tacky. Slice into strips, and roll up. All the fibre, all the sugar, all the flavour, most of the vitamins but 90% of the water gone. Handy in lunch boxes or when out and about. Not as fresh as fruit but not as heavy. And you can mix fruits.

I'm sure Pils can provide accurate stuff, but that's broadly there.

What Americans call fruit leathers?

I just googled to make sure that I'm not the only one that says that, found this: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_fruit_leather/

Looks simple. Hopefully I start getting swamped with fruit in the next few years....

Would any of you that have made it before comment on cooking vs not cooking before drying?

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 16 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much as Nick said, better knkw as fruit leathers but we don't like that name Much, fits in with our jerky and mushroom munchie making.
100g of fruit becomes thin, small and lasts for years.
If you want to try a few pm me your address and I will get some of this year's flavours in the post, same goes for anyone who would like to try them.

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 16 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of them end up a brownish colour unless you add colours but some of the bright berries stay red and purple.
Soft fruits can be blended as they are but the harder ones need softening by gentle stewing, we add Apple to most of ours because it gives a good texture, some of the berries dry like sheets of glass with out it and just shatter rather than folding.
They are easy but getting the cnsistancy of the pulp is the trick, to thin and it will be non existent when the water is dried off and to thick and it will take forever to dry and you risk soggy centers.
Once you have itvtjoigb it's a good way to store it.
The sheets can be eaten as they are, shreded up and mixed into cakes or porridge or dissolved in water for a sauce.
Loads of things

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 16 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I have heard of fruit leathers, but not fruit scrolls. Yes, it is a rather nicer name, but in some ways less descriptive. Not a thing I have ever tried, but things like quince you would need to cook them as they would be far too hard to mash otherwise. I did try making quince marmalade (apparently the original marmalade) one by grating the quince raw in a food processor. It took me ages to get the bowl clean as the quince was very 'grainy' and left a fine deposit all over the inside even after washing in the dish washer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive