links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Today's harvest - Nov 2nd
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 16 7:10 pm    Post subject: Today's harvest - Nov 2nd Reply with quote

Today from my garden I picked a large bowl of raspberries, the last of the courgettes and 2 strawberries!

From the polytunnel I got 3/4 of a bucketful of spuds, a basket of tomatoes, a trayful of chillies, 4 green peppers and about 12 small butternut squashes that went in really late and I thought ould come to nothing.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 16 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've dug a load of jerusalem artichokes this afternoon.

Green Rosie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 16 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
I've dug a load of jerusalem artichokes this afternoon.

You can keep those

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 16 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a little strange here for the last few weeks. Today, for example, the bees are still flying and taking in pollen, butterflies are still courting, there's caterpillars still about and many trees are still rather green. Feels more like September than November. Looking ahead it's going to finally get colder later in the week.

Shan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 16 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have about 300 ripe peppers in the greenhouse and a mental block about doing anything about them...

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 16 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shan wrote:
I have about 300 ripe peppers in the greenhouse and a mental block about doing anything about them...

stuff one each with saffron rice as a side dish and swap the rest of em for gin in the local shop?

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 16 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has started to turn colder here, although not very cold.

Shan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 16 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
Shan wrote:

stuff one each with saffron rice as a side dish and swap the rest of em for gin in the local shop?

It's the doing of anything that's providing the problem... I open the greenhouse door... look at the peppers... close the greenhouse door... ignore the peppers... and all the time they are yelling in pepper language that I'm a terrible pepper something something whatever person...

chickenlady

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 16 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodness knows what my shivering basils are calling me.

Slim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 16 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shan wrote:
dpack wrote:
Shan wrote:

It's the doing of anything that's providing the problem... I open the greenhouse door... look at the peppers... close the greenhouse door... ignore the peppers... and all the time they are yelling in pepper language that I'm a terrible pepper something something whatever person...

Do you have freezer space? Coring and slicing won't take tooooooo long, and then that's it. (Heretical expletive I love how easy it is to freeze peppers, why must everything else need blanching?)

gregotyn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 16 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to blanch runner beans, Slim-well I never did.

Slim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 16 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregotyn wrote:
No need to blanch runner beans, Slim-well I never did.

Fantastic! I just googled around, and found the usual advice to blanch, but several other posts where people prefer unblanched frozen beans. Glad to add another veg to the list of easy freezing!

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 16 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomatoes for sauces need no blanching, just divide whole ones into pan sized portions and freeze. throw em in the pan frozen and there isnt even any chopping as they "fall" naturally.

thinking of tomatoes the last 10 kg of bigboys and about 5kg of randoms got harvested this week. bigboys ripen indoors rather well if they have got to the slightly yellow green stage.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 16 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find runner beans are pretty poor frozen whichever way I do them. I have tried blanching/not blanching, cutting in chunks or long slivers, but they don't seem to keep their flavour for more than a couple of months whatever I do.

I am still waiting for my quinces to come down to me, but managed to find a couple of quite good bunches of grapes; one for MIL and one for us.

Shan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 16 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slim wrote:
Shan wrote:
dpack wrote:
Shan wrote:

Do you have freezer space? Coring and slicing won't take tooooooo long, and then that's it. (Heretical expletive I love how easy it is to freeze peppers, why must everything else need blanching?)

Thanks, I'll give it a go..... when I'm finished procrastinating...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive