About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Perennial vegetables
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 16 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What abooooooooooooout..... wildflower mix for pollinators? Will be beneficial overall but no hassle to you.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 16 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will put that sort of thing round the beehives and in the Real Garden (the one that is for drinking-gin-and-looking-serene in). This is the fenced-off-from-animals bit to put vegetables in.

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 16 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of gin, it seems to be a booming industry in the north - I thought of you as we sauntered round the alcoholic haze of Harrogate xmas market

In all honesty, my normal approach is to pick something weird from realseeds.co.uk exploding cucumbers? Sure why not!

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 16 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thinking of gin, juniper is perennial,low maintenance and could be clipped to avoid shading (clippings ace on a bbq or in a smoker mix) ,the berries are good for gin type things and a few in strong meat stews is very nice.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 16 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthernMonkeyGirl wrote:
Speaking of gin, it seems to be a booming industry in the north - I thought of you as we sauntered round the alcoholic haze of Harrogate xmas market

In all honesty, my normal approach is to pick something weird from realseeds.co.uk exploding cucumbers? Sure why not!

I'm not a complete alcoholic, you know! (actually, I think I did bring a selection of several gins and two tonics last time I saw you, so perhaps I can forgive the assumption)

Gin is an In Thing right now. That means that even if I hadn't corrupted all my friends to the Good Gins, lots of people are buying it. This is great - there are gin festivals and gin menus in restaurants.

Unlike other people, I don't feel that that gin goes with everything. Gin chocolate sounds vile to me. Pity it's been such a rubbish year for sloes.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 16 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I still have enough sloes in the freezer for sloe gin. That is the only way I like gin; definitely not to my taste.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 16 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's Gordon's and Schweppes (which is many people's experience) then mine neither. But it's still worth trying Good Gin and even better Good Tonic, as its totally different experience. (I have many friends who will confirm this, and am known as a bad influence!)

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 16 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthernMonkeyGirl wrote:

We were going to go to the Harrogate market but got so cold walking the dog on Ilkley Moor (through a bit of a blizzard too) that decided to stay at home in front of the fire. Was it good? Should I be more adventurous next year?

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 16 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was! Your choice of alcohol-based stalls, I didn't go into the craft / gift marquees as I had the dog with me, lots of food stalls. Mulled wine a bit too pricey though.
The main thing was it seemed to be genuine - unlike the "German" christmas market in Leeds that mainly has recruited students flogging ebay's finest trinkets.

Shan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 16 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
If it's Gordon's and Schweppes (which is many people's experience) then mine neither. But it's still worth trying Good Gin and even better Good Tonic, as its totally different experience. (I have many friends who will confirm this, and am known as a bad influence!)

It has to be Fever Tree tonic & I am happy to couple it with various good gins. I enjoy Hendrick's with a slice of cucumber. I am partial to Sipsmith and I find that Tanqueray & Bombay are good every day gins.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 16 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fever tree here too. Copper House and Williams Chase are my house gins, with Bloom, Monkey 47 and The Botanist guesting at present. An absolute word away from Gordon's and Schweppes.

Shan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 16 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been wanting to try The Botanist.... mainly because I like the bottle.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 16 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Tis very nice. I had it in a restaurant with basil and black pepper (I know it sounds awful, but it was lovely) and bought a bottle to be my summer tipple.

Shan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 16 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to suggest it to Mr Shan as my Christmas present.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 16 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell him it comes highly recommended.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive