Recipes            
Latest Articles
Compost tumblers
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 17 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty Gwyn wrote:
Surely an old electric cement mixer would do the same job,without the hasle of tumbling by hand.

The idea with a tumbler is the heap is enclosed and very easy to tumble. It's not just about the mixing, a cement mixer would mix but not provide a good place for stuff to rot. If you're going to fork the compost in each day you may as well mix it anyway.

The idea with a tumbler is I can mix a small heaps worth in seconds in each day, keeping the mixture aerated and hopefully rot quicker.

Slim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 17 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are both weight and volume here. It varies between towns, and even within towns.

Most people pay by volume, and pay a hauler to pick up a bin of a certain size a certain number of times per month depending upon their needs. Those haulers will add surcharges if you keep putting out noticeably heavy bins however, as they are paying by weight further down the line. (or maybe they just make you pay for more frequent pick-ups)

The more frugal of us haul our own trash to the transfer station, and there you can pay by volume or weight, though I think they'd prefer to charge you by weight. (I usually pay by volume because I recycle and compost a lot, so my leftover garbage is often heavy....)

Anything larger at the transfer station is done by weight (i.e., a truckload)

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 17 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a thought but would scrap heap challenge including a pv panel, a windscreen wiper motor , a rotor as one of the bearer rollers, some gears and a big insulated barrel be a place to start with a domestic version of the commercial tumblers.
a bit like a tumble polisher for stones , even a hand turned one might be easiest if the drum is supported on a pair of rollers.

the huge ones go from waste to compost very quickly as they run quite warm and tumble constantly to add air to the mix.

for speed putting everything through a shredder before composting helps a lot even with a old style heap.

Slim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 17 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for speed and automation, you may do better to pursue an "aerated static pile"

Basically, shove a perforated pipe under or through a compost pile, hook a blower and watch it go. Hook the blower up to a solar panel for maximum green

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 17 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a pooter fan ,panel and basic control gear to match voltage to fan would make that rig cheap and easy

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 17 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slim wrote:
If you're looking for speed and automation, you may do better to pursue an "aerated static pile"

Basically, shove a perforated pipe under or through a compost pile, hook a blower and watch it go. Hook the blower up to a solar panel for maximum green

Speed yes, and not having to get a fork out to turn a pile everyday. No desire whatsoever to start having electric gadgets involved.

We've looked at a few videos of the smaller tumblers and they seem far too small. Larger tumblers are far too expensive so I might have to go back to getting the fork out everyday.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 17 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you make your own using an old oil barrel?

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 17 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From various reviews, the general consensus seemed to be that any load big enough to be worth turning was too heavy to turn
That may depend on exactly how sturdy the tumbler is and how much leverage you get. The infrastructure also takes up a lot of room.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive