links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Progress report?
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 17 12:14 pm    Post subject: Progress report? Reply with quote

Where is everyone up to with seed sowing so far?

I'm all discombobulated. New house, new microclimate, new "patio garden". I'm considering lashing together some large bags of compost and basically having giant growbags. I also have two sacks of "dumpy bag fabric" which I think should give enough drainage without cutting them?

So far growing I have a little bit of yacon, and peas of various names. I did sow some Strange Things but then the temperature dropped so I'm not sure if that would hinder them. We're currently getting a lot of weather!

Not sure whether to attempt tomatoes or not. I've got some perennials in mind for along the south-facing fence....

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 17 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing yet - still clearing the beds from last year, and moving/splitting perennials. Got a hedge to cut, a lawn to mow, and a greenhouse to clear and clean.

I'm sure I will regret not getting an earlier start when for the umpteenth year, I have to make green tomato chutney.
Really must sow some salad leaves; the price of lettuce is ridiculous.

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 17 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a point, when can you start cutting privet hedges? I've inherited a very straight, neat one...

Slim

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 17 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received 6"-8" of very wet snow......

But tucked away in a greenhouse elsewhere are some sweet peas, kale, parsley and peppers. Really just the kale and sweet peas up so far.

Tucked away in another greenhouse elsewhere-elsewhere are some yarrow, nigella, calendula, and centaurea - none of which are up yet.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 17 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrots. Tardy again.

I have baby chicks though. (Oh, and garlic. Does that count?)

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 17 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garlic always counts!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 17 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have onion sets just thinking about doing something. I was worried about them, so went hunting and found one with a nice firm shoot. Also kale and purple sprouter seeds up, spinach seeds for young leaves just starting. Hope to get some potatoes in the prepared bed today, and want to try sowing root vegetables in seed trays as I seem to have very poor germination in the ground. I will sow in the ground as well, and if I am lucky, I will get some crops, unlike last year when all I got was salsify.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 17 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to plant our potatoes during the week, first things in the new veg bed that's being constructed. Garlic growing nicely in the other bed and I've planted out about 50 asparagus plants (it seems mostly for the slugs). 'Barb to go in this week.

A few types of chillies, some toms, onlion sets, shallots, peas, yacon, oca etc growing in pots/cells in the greenhouse. Salad to go in this week and I must start off some perrenial cabbage/kale stuff.

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 17 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know when it is best to cut a hedge.

I cut mine whenever I get the time or inclination, and it still grows. There seems to be quite a lot of it, so I do a bit at a time, by hand. Current hedge is mixed beech, escallonia, rowan, holly and other.

gardening-girl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 17 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our windowsills are full of various tomato, chillie , pepper and flower seedlings. The cold frame is full of b/beans,various greens and sweetpeas.
I have sown carrots, spring onions, spinach, beetroot and turnips in one of the raised beds at the allotment, and Barrie has planted the early spuds.
i was hoping to sow some early beans in the polytunnel, but the forcast is for more cold weather.

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 17 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sown another tray of "outdoor" things (beetroot, chard, some herbs, carrots) but think I'll hold back on "hot" crops - peppers, toms, etc.
Main problem being not having a hothouse

I've also been trying to work out how to get a bulk dumpy bag of muck/compost to the back of a terrace

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 17 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

privet can be cut anytime but the last cut of the year (oct/nov) will be the shape and "cover" it has all winter so go lightly with late cuts unless you like sticks

so far :

a planter of peas in a warmish spot
6 spuds went into a fish box today
60 onion setts into 2 fish boxes today, they are quite tightly spaced but i thin them as salad/stirfry onions and should get about half up to a decent size
repotted a 3 yr old bullace

i will wait a week or so before starting the mustard, radish rolling program

toms i hope to get a couple of big boys from our veg suppliers in a month or so and if the chillies fail to germinate (not looking promising so far) a few chilli plants from them as well.

no garlic or any courgettes planned (pretty dismal showing last year) so i need to think what will go in those spaces this year

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 17 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Later than usual this year due to illness but have on the go:

In the polytunnel - Garlic planted in October is doing well.
In the greenhouse:
Chillis, Toms (3 varieties), Peas, Broad Beans, Rocket, Calabresse, Spinach, Leeks & Beetroot.
Started potting up the Toms (sown in seed trays) and will then sow this week:
Courgette, Winter Squash, Lettuce, French Beans, Kohl Rabi, Cucucmbers and more BBs, Peas & Beetrrot.

We're getting PSB every day now - sown last May but a great crop to have this time of year (along with Leeks).

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 17 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done my chillis (several varieties including Carolina Reaper ) and some tomatoes. Runners I'll be doing this coming weekend.

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 17 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small peas of various types planted out, and more peas of different various types sown...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive