Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Long range EVs
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 24 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty Gwyn wrote:
Erect more pylons i presume.

and if that is the case the less material factor is wiped out.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 24 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen new BYD Dolphins for just under £25,000 on Autotrader, that's a drop of more than £1000.
In contrast a Peugeot 208 is a little over £20,000.
I'd say by any measure the Dolphin is a nicer car.
It's another quite big step towards the point where people will look at their fuel costs and see an EV as a good deal.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 24 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:

It is the actual installation and major work on them that causes disruption, not the pylons themselves. We have lived with them for the last 40 years, and not had any problems apart from those I mentioned.

I can well believe that. I recently had a telegraph pole changed on my land, the mess was huge and still ongoing for one pole... thinking about the space needed to transport multiple pylons in, the machinery needed to erect them, that's a lot of cleared and churned up land

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 24 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jema wrote:
Just seen new BYD Dolphins for just under £25,000 on Autotrader, that's a drop of more than £1000.
It's another quite big step towards the point where people will look at their fuel costs and see an EV as a good deal.

tbf you can buy a new peugeot 208 for around 17- 18K. I have no idea how the cars compare - not familiar with either. It is good if the prices are closing. Second hand prices will be more relevant to me, we shall have to see how that goes.

I see the cheaper versions of BYD Dolphin have a smaller KWh the ones priced around 30k have 60.48kwh whereas the £25k one are 40.9 kwh - what does this mean? what difference would this make?

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 24 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky cigreen wrote:
Mistress Rose wrote:

It is the actual installation and major work on them that causes disruption, not the pylons themselves. We have lived with them for the last 40 years, and not had any problems apart from those I mentioned.

I can well believe that. I recently had a telegraph pole changed on my land, the mess was huge and still ongoing for one pole... thinking about the space needed to transport multiple pylons in, the machinery needed to erect them, that's a lot of cleared and churned up land

Put a claim in for damage to the land through a Land Agent.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 24 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky cigreen wrote:
jema wrote:

tbf you can buy a new peugeot 208 for around 17- 18K. I have no idea how the cars compare - not familiar with either. It is good if the prices are closing. Second hand prices will be more relevant to me, we shall have to see how that goes.

I see the cheaper versions of BYD Dolphin have a smaller KWh the ones priced around 30k have 60.48kwh whereas the £25k one are 40.9 kwh - what does this mean? what difference would this make?

it's the difference between 211 miles and 265 miles of range. So the cheap one has a pretty compromised range in my view. I tend to think of a proper EV for general use needing 250 miles.
But the point is it is progress and it is pushing prices down. A used MG5 looks quite tempting.

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 24 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolute lunacy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68563074

"It said it has relaxed rules on insulation to make it easier for householders to qualify for a £7,500 heat pump grant, saying that cavity wall and loft insulation will no longer be mandatory."

So loads of doomed installs that will struggle to meet demand, please just p8ss off out of here you f$$$wits!!!

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 24 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Absolute lunacy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68563074

"It said it has relaxed rules on insulation to make it easier for householders to qualify for a £7,500 heat pump grant, saying that cavity wall and loft insulation will no longer be mandatory."

So loads of doomed installs that will struggle to meet demand, please just p8ss off out of here you f$$$wits!!!

I rather suspect that follow the money would find the answer to that one.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 24 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty Gwyn, we followed the advice given by the dormouse surveyors and hand carried the hazel off the site, which meant we had to get someone in to help us. We also replanted a hedge that they bulldozed. We made them pay for all of it, so no worries there. I am not a land agent, but learnt how to write a pretty stiff letter and justify every point, so we got our money. It was only changing insulators and wires; the tower was already there. That was put in before we got the woods, but as the Parish Boundary is now non existent there, think they did quite a lot of damage when it was put in, as in other places the ditch and bank is quite marked.

I had a look at the requirements for insulation and I don't think we would qualify, partly because of income and partly because it would be impossible to insulate our house in the required way. We don't have a cavity wall as our house is built of hollow blocks. We did have insulation put into the part that isn't blocks, but no sign of it now.

While I agree we all need to go away from gas, I am not convinced that heat pumps are right for every house and flat. We are going to look at next doors set up this weekend, so may get a better idea of it. Having lived through rolling power cuts, building work in the area causing power cuts etc. we prefer to be self sufficient for light, power and cooking if possible. Next door have solar panels and a battery, which or course means they are self sufficient for at least some power needs, but that isn't possible for everyone.

gz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 24 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MR our house is single skin brick, no cavity, so it was wrapped in insulation.

Agreed, heat pumps don't suit every house. Most are not insulated enough for one thing

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 24 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

houses matter, staking the fossil vampire by any means seems like a good idea

better cheaper vehicles might save about 25% of global fossil use

insulation, heat pumps, domestic harvest/storage of energy etc are good and site specific
transport is universal and can be used to promote other useful tech

unless we adjust for a very different climate and ecology which will change fast no matter what we do now, but those changes can be moderated or mitigated to some extent
we are probably still stuffed as large mammals and unlikely to survive the 6th, but we will have tried, and i want to play in an e sport rally car

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 24 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I wouldn't go rally driving in it Dpack or you might not be able to get out. Someone I knew who had a bad back tried to get out of a low sports car and got stuck and had to be prised out very carefully.

Yes, transport is going to make a lot of difference. Not sure if getting people to go fewer miles, use public transport more, going electric or all three are the answer. I do remember that having to use public transport only and suffering from travel sickness as a child meant that I was very restricted in movement. We live about 15 miles from the sea, but a journey to the seaside was an all day event with travel sickness pills. Our country town, 30 miles away was an unknown place. I didn't go the town our son now lives in, 15 miles away until I was in my teens, and then only once. All of those places are possible with public transport now, but very difficult as they involve several changes of bus. We did one trip back from the seaside destination by public transport a couple of years ago by bus and it took a couple of hours because of missed connections.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 24 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the high G would be more of an issue than getting in or out, even with a hat clip it can be a bit extreme and in every possible direction, sometimes you get several directions at the same time

Slim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 24 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The insulation discussion always amazes me for the UK context.
Even if you don't switch to a heat pump, you'll typically benefit quite a bit financially and emissions wise from proper insulation

tahir

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 24 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slim wrote:
The insulation discussion always amazes me for the UK context.
Even if you don't switch to a heat pump, you'll typically benefit quite a bit financially and emissions wise from proper insulation

Me too, it’s the cheapest easiest thing to do

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 70 of 73
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive