Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Castle Farm

10,000 to invest, any ideas?

I need to invest 10k somewhere to make abit of income now I have 'retired' any ideas?

I'm maxed out on sheep or I'd buy some more.

I have enough poultry to be going on with.

Can't abide Alpacas or Lamas.

To many low flying jets to keep Ostriches.

No money in Pigs.

Gerbils, hamsters and cavies our cats would have.

Horses, you cant give them away.
tahir

You mean in terms of livestock?
Marionb

Putting it in some sort of investment account not an option?
Nick

Land itself seems to be rocketing slowly.

Rentable out to provide income. Or making and selling hay, if you have the gear.
tahir

Land itself seems to be rocketing slowly.

Not so slowly round here, it's shot up since we bought our place
Barefoot Andrew

rocketing slowly.

Amusing paradox Wink
A.
Mrs R

I would say that any kind of livestock enterprise a) makes small amounts of money if any and b) does it over a long time. You can speed it up, but it would likely take a lot more investment than 10k (I'm thinking super dairies or selling direct with onsite storage and so on like we do). RichardW

If you want a long term (25 years) investment with about 10% return PV is your baby. Truffle

Obviously truffle growing in the long run Wink but that can take 4-7years before a harvest and I'm guessing you need something on an annual basis starting immediately, so what about bonds?
Not sure about livestock, unless you get a great show animal?

Truffle growing : www.PlantationSystems.com
Truffle

Oh, and I was told that a 50k installed wind system (10-15KW) can provide a tax free 11k PA income if you have around 6m/s wind speed . Sounds too good to be true- ? Cathryn

Goats for meat.

Sheepdog training.
stumbling goat

Premium bonds while you decide?

sg
Drewsephine

Give it to me so I can free my great uncles cousins brothers sisters nephew in Kyrgyzstan. He's a trillionaire and will re-imburse you tenfold when he is free. I need it to secure his release.

Laughing
Rob R

Give a local young farmer a loan that's less than they would pay the bank but more than you'd get from the bank, then you can watch and help an enterprise grow while not having the work from it, and both sides win. pookie

worm farm? Chez

So, do you want something to give you a monthly income? Or to just stick it away for a few years and get some return at the end of it? Treacodactyl

Premium bonds while you decide?

sg

As the prize fund works out at an interest rate of 1.5% and inflation is currently 4.4% you'll more than likely end up loosing money in real terms.
Hairyloon

worm farm?
I was shocked at the price of meal-worms for bird food the other day... did lead me to wonder on that thought.

I still reckon rat farming is the way forward.
woodsprite

Snail farming. OH looked into it once. Very profitable at the time, selling direct to fancy restuarants/hotels. Someones probably filled the gap but you never know. boisdevie1

Goats for meat - heard on Radio 4 a couple of years back that we are importing goat meat. There is a goat meat farm in Lancashire
http://www.goat-meat.co.uk/
Rob R

It makes you wonder what happens to all the unwanted kids in the UK - I know that commercially they are gassed but even smaller goat breeders seem reluctant to sell anything as soon as you mention the word 'meat'. Rolling Eyes chicken feed

Surprised that surprises me rob we are inundated with requests to take male kids from breeders to rear for meat. Rob R

Confused We just seem to get blanked - they are all interested in speaking to you until you mention the four letter word. Maybe they just have the meat market cornered and don't want to give it up? chicken feed

i don't know about that it may be easier if you are known to the breeders its only just the start of kidding and we have been offered over 20 kids from just 2 breeders. we have to guarantee they will be slaughtered and not sold on as there is a bit of concern about them being kept for pets (the males) or breeding from imperfect stock.

you'd be surprised how many goat keepers/breeders eat goat so its should not be the meat word, last show season we cooked goat curry outside the goat tent and plenty of them ate it (with the exception of a couple that had had a bad experience years ago after being sewrved a 5 yr old entire male at a bbq the meat smelt and tasted like the living animal )
12Bore

Goats for meat - heard on Radio 4 a couple of years back that we are importing goat meat. There is a goat meat farm in Lancashire
http://www.goat-meat.co.uk/
That's where I get my goat meat from, it is beautiful! Very Happy
Mrs R

Rob's right - all fine and dandy until you mention meat. Most seem to want to sell castrate as pets Rolling Eyes chicken feed

you must have some strange breeders around your way Wink pets is a big no no from the breeders we know its either meat or pts Bebo

Cash ISA if you are looking to put it away somewhere. If you have money to invest it should always be your first port of call as it is the most tax efficient way to save. If you get in now you can put all of it into one in the next few weeks as you can benefit from this financial years allowance. marigold

Cash ISA if you are looking to put it away somewhere. If you have money to invest it should always be your first port of call as it is the most tax efficient way to save. If you get in now you can put all of it into one in the next few weeks as you can benefit from this financial years allowance.

It may be tax-efficient, but with interest rates so low you can probably get a slightly better return from an ordinary savings account if you pay low-rate income tax (or none at all) . Choose an ISA very carefully and keep an eye on the interest rate.
kirstyfern

Surprised that surprises me rob we are inundated with requests to take male kids from breeders to rear for meat.

Send any spare ones my way Wink I'm always short of boys to rear for meat!
Our local goat dairy wants 45 each for male kids at 4days old, it is ridiculous!
I make 20 / goat when I sell it for meat if I'm lucky, that is why we are importing it, like my free range cockerels that cost me 12 each to get to eating weight!
LynneA

How much would a barrel of new whisky cost? Reckon you'd get a decent return if left to mature for a few years. chicken feed

Wink kirsty how far would you be willing to travel for goat kids. Chez

Is that enough for the kit for a micro-brewery? kirstyfern

Wink kirsty how far would you be willing to travel for goat kids.

I get some from Northampton and have also been down to Kent and across to Oxford Wink
sueshells

How about bees? Demand for honey outstrips supply and there are lots of things you can do to add value. My daughter brought back blueberry honey from Slovenia this year - gorgeous stuff. I've also bought vanilla flavoured honey (with a vanilla pod in the jar) at my local Farmers' Market, then there are all the other bits and pieces - candles, polish, hand creams, gift baskets etc.... Lorrainelovesplants

Allotments.

Ive been doing a study on how they improve farm income.....

If you have road access and are near a town you could be getting 150 per plot....
They are doing it down here and the places I visited this week are raking it in!
boisdevie1

Polytunnel
Cannabis
alice

Polytunnel
Cannabis
Arrest.
Prosecution.
Castle Farm

Well I have made a decision and I'm putting some of it into....

Rats. and Gypsy Cobs.

Not going with bonds or goats.

There are to many around here growing cannabis already.

I'm allergic to bee stings.

I already have an egg fund, as I have about 350 chickens.

If anyone knows of a Gypsy Cob mare about 14 or so hands. Loads of feather, well bred and totally bombproof I'd be interested.
Prefer Black/White 5 year old upwards and suitable for driving/riding and possible brood mare.

5 star home waiting.

No need to worry on the rat front I already have some, but intend to get a company up and running getting rid of them.

Thank you for all your suggestions.
Rob R

So much for retirement then Laughing dpack

artwork Paul Sill

artwork

Buy it from a really old artist to, because the artists dies the value will triple.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home