Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
alison

2 more q's

Where do I get the code / icons for the little buttons that mean follow me on twitter / facebook / pinterest etc.

What is an rss feed , and how are they useful

Thanks.
vegplot

The code and icons are available on the relative sites, just login and look for linking or embedding options.

RSS can be consumed or produced.

Consuming an RSS feed from external sources is relatively simple and while methods vary depending which technology you use the principle are the same.

If you want to keep visitors on your site I would veer away from using RSS feeds as visitors will simply use your site as a launch pad.

Producing RSS feeds has the added complexity of you need to produce new items. Great if you have content that changes a lot but otherwise there is probably not a great deal of benefit to be had.
alison

Thanks.

I was thinking we didn't need rss, but I often see it as a choice from the little icons. and realised I wasn't really sure what it was.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

As a consumer, RSS seems to be on its way out as Google discontinued their RSS feed thingy which was the main player. It's something you would use to keep up with e.g. news headlines, probably replaced by Twitter now.
alison

As a consumer, RSS seems to be on its way out as Google discontinued their RSS feed thingy which was the main player. It's something you would use to keep up with e.g. news headlines, probably replaced by Twitter now.

That is what I thought.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home