Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Treacodactyl

2014 Potato varieties

Perhaps a tad early but I did notice tubers in the shops this week. Anyone planning to grow anything interesting?

This year was quite successful, Sharps Express did well and not only produced early spuds but produced some good sized spuds for general use. Pink Fir Apples also did well and we still have a few bags of them. All grown and cropped well on fairly poor soil.

However, nothing I've tasted beats a King Edward for roasting (par-boiled, shaken not stirred) and I would like to either grow them or something more modern but with similar eating qualities - any recommendations?

I'm also curious with the new blight resistant varieties, has anyone grown them and what do you think of them?
sean

We're using Fontane at work at the moment for the first time. I don't know what its growing qualities/disease resistance are like but it makes excellent chips so should roast well too.
Ty Gwyn

Sharps Express is a real old variety,i remember my Father talking about growing them back in the 2nd WW time,along with varieties like Golden Wonder,Arran Pilot and Arran Banner.

First spuds i grew with my Father were Homeguard and Majestic.
Luath

I only grow old heritage varieties; for me, no point in growing what is in the shops, although a fair number of interesting tatties are appearing now. Always grow Shetland Black, Edzell Blue, Pink Fir Apple, Arran Victory, Highland Red.
Mistress Rose

Not a new one, but Desiree works well for us. Grows well most years despite the weather and is good general purpose. Also tend to grow a few King Edward, but haven't really hit on a suitable early yet. Have grown Pink Fir Apple, but don't do too much salad, for which they are really good.
mousjoos

Any recommendations for suppliers of heritage &/or interesting varieties, that post abroad....apart from T & M, that is ??
tahir

Any recommendations for suppliers of heritage &/or interesting varieties, that post abroad....apart from T & M, that is ??

Have you tried Tucker's?
tahir

Yukon gold is my favourite chipper, good roaster too. Red duke of York is almost as good. I thought all the Mira ones were dreadful when we grew them, poor crops and incredibly floury. My favourite salad is Anya which also makes good chips and stores really well
mousjoos

Have you tried Tucker's?

Been looking around on the interweb, but have not found much

Will try Tucker's, thanks
Treacodactyl

Plenty of reasons for growing what's available in the shops for me, not least because the locally grown spuds we've tried don't seem to be varieties that cook well.

I'll remember the suggestions when I see what tubers are on offer. Any other suggestions for a main crop excellent roaster?
tahir

Any other suggestions for a main crop excellent roaster?

I've always stayed away from main crops because of blight
Nicky cigreen

Have you tried Tucker's?

we always use Tuckers - good spuds - though dunno what mail order iis like as we go and collect them as they are local to us
Luath

Can recommend Tucker's mail order, excellent service Smile Treacodactyl

Any other suggestions for a main crop excellent roaster?

I've always stayed away from main crops because of blight

I've not had a huge problem so far, not having nearby growers helps I think. I'm not sure about 2nd earlies but I find 1st earlies don't keep that long, the last of our Sharps Express are shooting away whereas PFA are not showing any signs at all.
tahir

Anya, Red Duke of York, Yukon Gold and Kestrel (good King Ed replacement) all store pretty well. yummersetter

I love Yukon Gold too, they're delicious and have always been troublefree.

I like Accent as maincrop bakers, Belle de Fontenay steamed, Mayan Gold and a few blue ones to discombobulate visitors
gardening-girl

BF 15 or Cherie for salads,Ratte for early maincrop.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home