Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Old-Chads-Orchard

28" or 30" shotty

Whats the benefit of both, looking for one to do mainly clay shoot but want to do rough shooting also.
VSS

I'm no expert on this but isn't the level of choke on the barrells of more significance that the length. We have a really nice BSA 12 bore with 30 inch barrells, half and three quarter choke. Seem to be a good all round gun. Have done both rough and clays with it in the past.

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk
Old-Chads-Orchard

all the ones i am looking at are multi choke.
Don't know weather to go for a second hand Beretta (around £800) or a new Lamber http://www.gmk.co.uk/products/products_detail.asp?brand=lanber&collection=Sporting+O%2FU#Lanber+Sporting+Deluxe

Too many choices. Anyone know a good gunshop near Telford??
SheepShed

Clay shooters tend to go for longer barells (up to 32") because they're more 'pointable' but these can be a bit more unwieldy for rough shooting, where 27" or 28" is more common

Lanber's are nice but you couldn't really go wrong with a s/h Berreta.
The bottom line though is get a gun that fits you and feels right - a £200 gun that fits you properly will shoot much better than a £2000 gun that doesn't.

Hope this helps.
KILLITnGRILLIT

SS - Absolutely ! 30`s will give good steady swing for high birds but snapshots 26-28" assuming you mean 12 bore.
Brownbear

Don't get too hung up on chokes, barrel lengths etc. Rather like rifle ballistics, everyine has an opinion and they can't all be right. I have seen some people constantly changing chokes, to no discernable benefit in their shooting.

Get something that feels comfortable (some gun shops have a clay trap out the back so you can try out a second hand gun) and is nearly always a bit above the upper limit of your price bracket, and then take it out and shoot, shoot, shoot. Nothing to do with barrel length, chokes, calibre etc makes much difference to your shooting, compared to sheer quantity of experience. Get some coaching if you can afford it - money well spent.
Old-Chads-Orchard

Well I got my shotty cert okay'd by the FO last week, just need to wait for my building work to finish till I can fit my cabinet, think I am going for a Lanber but need to see if it fits okay
Jonnyboy

Foreign Office? Where are you going to shoot? Shocked
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home