Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
numberwang

3 acres Vale of Glam

Saw this & thought it might interest a few on here: http://www.wattsandmorgan.co.uk/uploads_agricultural/Partics%20for%20land%20at%20Llangan.pdf

planted up with 1600 fruit bushes & 90 fruit trees...

Seriously temped myself but too much going on to make a go of it!!

NW
gil

49,000 seems a bit steep for 3 acres.
The bushes and trees are only recently planted.
Nick

It's a building plot.
numberwang

Yeah I thought an odd thing to plant up then sell, would take a while to see any return. Price about the going rate for area. Close pylon makes it not good building plot and planning doubtful..
Ty Gwyn

Maybe he wanted to get out Fracking quick?
gil

Yeah I thought an odd thing to plant up then sell, would take a while to see any return. Price about the going rate for area. Close pylon makes it not good building plot and planning doubtful..

Agri land goes for 16k / acre ??? Eh, I don't think so.
Mr O

crazy price. Nick

It's not far from that round here.
Rob R

Yeah, but you're in the rich heartlands of Herefordshire, Wales is always claiming poverty Wink
Nell Merionwen

The Vale of Glamorgan is astronomically priced. except Barry Ty Gwyn

But Barry has Rock? dpack

the vog is very mixed economically .

it would take a while to get a full return via fruit bushes at that price
numberwang

The Vale of Glamorgan is astronomically priced. except Barry

Nell is spon on, anything around Cowbridge is silly money. Heard recently even Barry is on the up!
john of wessex

Barry..............

The only town famous for its scrapyard

i remember my last visit, admittedly many years ago - might have given Hironemous Bosch some ideas
Chez

The 28 acres just down the road from us have gone for that very price. People agree it is a bit steep - 10k is more reasonable. But people also agree that land prices are going to go up about 40% in the next ten years. I'm still saving, but I feel a bit depressed about it all Sad.
Nell Merionwen

The Vale of Glamorgan is astronomically priced. except Barry

Nell is spon on, anything around Cowbridge is silly money. Heard recently even Barry is on the up!

I lived 5 mins down the road from Cowbridge for rather a long time
Smile
sueshells

The 28 acres just down the road from us have gone for that very price. People agree it is a bit steep - 10k is more reasonable. But people also agree that land prices are going to go up about 40% in the next ten years. I'm still saving, but I feel a bit depressed about it all Sad.

I read somewhere that bankers and other people with lots of money are buying land as the return is better than that on gold.
Sally Too

Interesting! I wonder what price they will actually get for it? I mean asking is one thing.... it's finding a punter to pay the money in the end that counts. Rob R

I read somewhere that bankers and other people with lots of money are buying land as the return is better than that on gold.

It's called 'land banking' - they have no need to make money from the land, which is a hit or miss affair at the best of times, so quite often they don't bother trying. There are loads of pieces of land around here that are reverting to scrub because of land banking. We were very lucky not to have any such competition when we bought our land but I am dreading to think how much we'll have to pay if we ever try to buy more.
Chez

It's called 'land banking' - they have no need to make money from the land, which is a hit or miss affair at the best of times, so quite often they don't bother trying. There are loads of pieces of land around here that are reverting to scrub because of land banking. We were very lucky not to have any such competition when we bought our land but I am dreading to think how much we'll have to pay if we ever try to buy more.

Is it France that has some sort of law that says that if you leave the land fallow for x number of years, it reverts to the Commune? Seems like a sensible plan; it would certainly keep speculative purchasing down; or at the very least, make the land available for lease. (It's a sore point with me atm)
Ty Gwyn

Its not only speculators that leave land revert to scrub,

There are a good few smallholdings around here,where the land has been neglected,nature reserves they call them,fields full of gorse ,scrub tree`s,and grass that has`nt been cut or grazed for years,

Sacriledge,when there are people who would be in their elements with land like that to use.
Rob R

Its not only speculators that leave land revert to scrub,

There are a good few smallholdings around here,where the land has been neglected,nature reserves they call them,fields full of gorse ,scrub tree`s,and grass that has`nt been cut or grazed for years,

Sacriledge,when there are people who would be in their elements with land like that to use.

Very true - I have to say that one parcel of land is owned by an actual farmer who has adjacent land with cattle on. And another piece is owned by the church but rented out but has good 6 inch trees selfseeded on it - I can only imagine it has something to do with set-aside.
Hairyloon

Is it France that has some sort of law that says that if you leave the land fallow for x number of years, it reverts to the Commune? Seems like a sensible plan; it would certainly keep speculative purchasing down; or at the very least, make the land available for lease. (It's a sore point with me atm)
In Britain we have Adverse Possession... also known as squatting.
Bebo

For Adverse Possession to succeed you've got to prove you've used the land continuously for a certain period of time (think 10 years is the minimum under the 2002 Act). Has nothing to do with it being left vacant and unused.

One interesting thing about France is their inheritance laws. Historcally the principle of primogeniture applied in the UK and that meant that the eldest got the land. In France it was split up between the offspring. That's why there are so many small-holdings etc in France that aren't worked. They've become too small to be economically viable and they just get abandoned.
Hairyloon

For Adverse Possession to succeed you've got to prove you've used the land continuously for a certain period of time (think 10 years is the minimum under the 2002 Act). Has nothing to do with it being left vacant and unused.
Adverse Possession is the occupation of land which is otherwise vacant and unused.
If you maintain an adverse possession for long enough, you can claim a Possessory Title, which makes it legally yours. The 2002 Act makes this a lot harder, unless the landowner really doesn't care.
Bebo

Adverse Possession is the occupation of land which is otherwise vacant and unused.
If you maintain an adverse possession for long enough, you can claim a Possessory Title, which makes it legally yours. The 2002 Act makes this a lot harder, unless the landowner really doesn't care.

Yup, but that's different to what Chez querying might apply in France. That was where unused land would revert to someone else. That skips the having to have been occupied for at least 10 years part.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home