Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
dpack

3 new nuke power stations

unless you look at the small print in the msm you have probably missed the sale of land owned by the nuclear decommissioning body to a group who want to build 3 power stations next to the active part of the sellafield site.

the design of these stations is( edit NOT NECESSARILY )the same as the one in france that has just failed to get the construction of the reactor vessel approved due to the cracks in the welds.

blaming the welders is the option there but i blame the design as a good drawing leads to good construction imho.

NOTE the msm is very shabby with details re nukes
Falstaff

Good welders lead to good welds - Assuming the Structural Engineers did their sums right ! Wink
dpack

i suspect the sums might be a bit off as since the faked test x rays of a few years ago the welders on such things tend to be the best of the best and so is the testing.
dpack

only local interest

the nuclear sacrifice zone gets some more assets Mad
dpack

having managed to look a bit closer at the french problem im not certain that the pwr type that are going to cumbria are the same design as the french one with the cracks although that one "has advanced safety features"that probably dont include cracks .
Tavascarow

By the time they get built Winscale will be submerged.
I really can't see why they build so close to the sea other than limitless water for cooling & dumping.
dpack

perhaps it is rather difficult to object to planning when most of the locals work in the industry or the support infrastructure,the area has a long history of such things and has the security in place ,between the greater sellafield site and drigg it is already pretty "hot" in places and a few reactors wont make it worse but perhaps mostly it is a long way from westminster but not in scotland.

afaik sea water cooling has gone out of fashion since the old magnox plutonium generation plants(we have more plutonium than we could ever use so these ones really are for electric)
Mutton

By the time they get built Winscale will be submerged.
I really can't see why they build so close to the sea other than limitless water for cooling & dumping.

That's why.

I looked at the tendering website for new nuclear power stations a few years back and two parts of it is that preference is given to sites with lots of cooling water, so you do that rather than having massive cooling towers. Plus you have to be well away from any source of drinking water.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home