Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Ty Gwyn

4 x 4 Road Tax

I ve had my 2.8 jeep for 9yrs,last time i taxed it,last May it was £185,same as my Golf estate.
I bought a newer one last month,a 3.0,opened the Tax reminder envelope yesterday,it was £260,shocked.

Is there a scale on cc,never thought about it before?
Rusticwood

Most are done on CO2 emissions now, the tables are here
Ty Gwyn

Thanks Rustic,
Maybe i m thick,but my old jeep in section H is 22yrs old,the newer one in section K is 10yr old,i would have thought the older vehicle would give out more emissions.
Treacodactyl

You have allowances if the car is old, as they brought in the emission based charging after many cars were sold. Otherwise you'd be expected to pay something like £450+
Kenworth

My state changed ours about 15 years ago. Used to go by the weight, iirc. Now they go by the VALUE of the stinkin' thing. I have a 1999 pickup truck that I pay the same license plate tax on as I bought it new Mad Twisted Evil Mad
vegplot

Strictly speaking it's not road tax but I get clobbered with my Land Rover even though I don't do many miles.
Ty Gwyn

This gets more complicated,

By the chart above,it mentions to check ones V5 for emissions,mine says .200,yet my renewal says .278

My thinking says,either they ve made a mistake or the emissions from the last MOT is what they go by.
12Bore

Is your registered as an automatic? They have higher CO2 output and therefore attract higher tax. Check the V5.
Ty Gwyn

My newer jeep is a manual,on checking both log books ,older jeep and the newer one,i presume M1 alongside Vehicle Category equates Manual,the older jeep is an Auto,but being an import,the Logbook details are sparce,no emissions details at all.

On double checking i can see where i ve got mixed up,the Co2 gkm is 278 but the Exhaust CO gkm is .200

Not being scientifically minded,i would have thought what comes out of the exhaust is what is going to cause any pollution,
So where does the first figure come into this,other than getting us to pay a stealth tax?
12Bore

I think you answered your own question there..... Laughing
Ty Gwyn

Thats my way of thought,
My older 2.8 Auto,is heavier on fuel than this 3.0 Manual,and if not used a lot,or given a good blast,sometimes would puff out clouds when started,cleared in a minute or 2,but this one is a lot cleaner starting,thats where i got the shock of the tax price.
Treacodactyl

On double checking i can see where i ve got mixed up,the Co2 gkm is 278 but the Exhaust CO gkm is .200

Not being scientifically minded,i would have thought what comes out of the exhaust is what is going to cause any pollution,
So where does the first figure come into this,other than getting us to pay a stealth tax?

You're confusing the purpose of an MOT, it just measures the CO2 to see if the car is working reasonably well. As the engine isn't under load, i.e. driving the vehicle around, you can expect the CO2 it gives out normally to be much higher. The 276 from the V5 gives a truer picture but even that is probably far less than what it actually does.

I do agree than on older vehicles it doesn't make sense to charge the VED based on emissions, especially when there's so much tax on the fuel.
AlexBy

both my land rovers are free!

The 1971 long wheel base Dormobile does around 6000 miles each year, in the main, dragging us about on holiday, although I have used it to pick up a newly purchased rotavator and last weekend, to tow a trailer bringing two hay racks back from Staffs.

The 1967 swb pick up does a lot less than that but does most of the fetching and carrying around the holding, inluding towing the sheep trailer to the sale and market etc.

Not everyone's cup of tea old land rovers though - or practical for everyone either
Shan

Doesn't it also have something to do with if the vehicle is older than 15 years?

My car is 21 years old and I get charged less than Mr Shan on his Nissen X-trail even though mine produces more in CO2 emissions.
Nick

http://drivingspirit.com/20092010-ved-tax-bands-explained/
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home