Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
wizz

A 9 acre wood...

It's utterly ridiculous and the asking price of 35K is well beyond us but i can't help but be interested as it must be close to us cos it's got the same post code.... Just can't work out which bit of woodland it might be... And it's fun dreaming about what we might do with it!
Laughing
Penny Outskirts

That's cheap - it's usually about 10k an acre
Treacodactyl

I was just going to say 35k for 9 acres seems reasonable but it'll depend on what is being sold, location etc.
sean

You could keep just under a tenth of a bear, a piglet, a donkey, an owl, a rabbit, a tiger and a kangaroo...
dpack

the terms of use make a lot of difference to the value

free is bad if the terms are unpleasant

hummmph from a near miss Laughing
john of wessex

Beware.

I was looking at wood buying.

Basically a number of operator buy up woods & divide them into plots. It makes management very difficult and you can end up with an off road drivers paradise
Treacodactyl

Yes 'woodlotting' is very common, and can have advantages and disadvantages. Their contracts should stop antisocial behaviour although it could prevent you from doing what you want.
john of wessex

Yes 'woodlotting' is very common, and can have advantages and disadvantages. Their contracts should stop antisocial behaviour although it could prevent you from doing what you want.

The difficulty I think is what if some of the owners lose interest/disappear/whatever. This has happened in some cases with serious consequences for the wood.
RichardW

There is a plot near use thats just come back on the market for an asking price of 1k an acre. I know someone has offered about 600 per acre as not all of it is plant able / harvest able & lots of it has already been harvested.

Oh & before you all get excited there is about 300 acres & its all going in one lot.
Hairyloon

only needs 300 of us to come up with a grand each...
Treacodactyl

The difficulty I think is what if some of the owners lose interest/disappear/whatever. This has happened in some cases with serious consequences for the wood.

I can see that woodlotting might mean you have more neighbours but even if you just buy a patch via another route you'll still end up with neighbours of various types, some of which might not do anything with their land.

Thinking about the small patch we own, on the one hand it's quite remote but our neighbours have changed several times since we've had it and they've done quite a bit that we wouldn't really have expected before we bought it.

I think taking your advice of beware would be sensible now matter what you buy.
wizz

This was just an idle dream!

Though now we've identified the wood (a field away from us) it's pretty obvious that it's a one off and doesn't have any "woody neighbours". It's mostly pine with some broadleaved trees (advert mentions potential to harvest) and whilst access would obviously be an important issue, we are on good terms with the farmer who owns land adjacent to it and us so perhaps not beyond doable if we really wanted to and had the dosh!

Trying to stop myself wandering over to look - it's utterly foolish to even contemplate Exclamation
Treacodactyl

I think most of our important decisions start off as idle thoughts... Wink Laughing

Personally I'd take a look if you can, don't get carried away of course, but it could well confirm that it would be too much to take on. We looked around quite a few and it's been very enlightening to see the differences between various locations and woodland.

If it's mainly pine it doesn't sound that useful to be honest, and potential to harvest could well end up costing you more to get someone in unless you can do the work yourself. And even if you know the farmer you would need to have access rights included in the deeds etc, etc.
Mrs R

10k seems steep, ours is valued at 2-3k/acre. That's in scotland - is the 10k a southern thing? wizz

Quote:
but it could well confirm that it would be too much to take on

Yep i'm sure that would be the main object of the exercise if we did! Can't resist asking for the particulars - they aren't on the website. Shame that my endowment policy isn't due to mature for another 5 years (even if it will be a lot less than it was "meant" to be!)
Bodger

There is a plot near use thats just come back on the market for an asking price of 1k an acre. I know someone has offered about 600 per acre as not all of it is plant able / harvest able & lots of it has already been harvested.

Oh & before you all get excited there is about 300 acres & its all going in one lot.

I saw that. Garn Boduan. Most of its rock and the good timber has been removed in the last 12 months but someone or some business will buy it as a tax advantage. you'd certainly get fantastic views.

Here it is.

http://www.johnclegg.co.uk/properties-for-sale/property-detail/?id=464&filter_region=&page=2

This is the one with the prehistoric stone hut circles at the top. I walk up to the summit two or three times a year. Its a marvellous place but certainly not worth 300,000
VSS

Can't afford to buy all of it, but as our drive goes through it, it would be nice to be able to buy that at least. The agents won't split it though. Sad Cathryn

That's a shame. Is your drive the only access point to it? Bodger

I'd like the very top bit VSS. VSS

That's a shame. Is your drive the only access point to it?

No, the main access is a different track that runs parallel to our boundary for a bit, and then veers away uphill.
JB

10k seems steep, ours is valued at 2-3k/acre. That's in Scotland - is the 10k a southern thing?

Probably a southern thing. Most land around here seems to go for about 8-10k per acre. The worst scam is people subdividing fields and then selling house sized plots of agricultural land at about 100k per acre - no planning permission, no chance or planning permission they just bought a field and drew a house sized plots over the top of it and charged a stupid amount to stupid people which wouldn't itself be so bad but its just another factor driving up the price of small areas of agricultural land.

For example just found one a few miles from here, 17000! for 500 sq. m. !! Yes that's right a tiny portion of a field with no planning permission and some bozo is trying to charge 140 000 per acre Mad
RichardW

The agents won't split it though. Sad

With luck the new owners will.
evie2

Does it have a caravan park beside it? wizz

Quote:
Does it have a caravan park beside it?

the 9 acre wood doesn't - is within 5 miles of York and a couple miles from the outer ring road, so hardly isolated but without close neighbours other than us and a few other scattered houses, and various farmland. No idea about the other place that's been discussed!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home