Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
sicknote

A bit of research........

We are asking for a little bit of help, we currently produce cupcakes and a range of sweet and savoury preserves. We are looking to produce a small range of savoury items to accompany our preserves.

We have narrowed it down to a couple of products (but still very much open to suggestions!) and wondered if you would mind answering our poll so we can get get an idea of popularity.

Any further suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Chez

I voted for scones ... but, re Minehead, it sounds like there's a chap doing street food who does scones who might be starting. Perhaps check with Shelley?
judith

I went for savoury muffins as something that I would be likely to eat there and then. For taking home it would probably be the scones. I wouldn't buy the chutney combo as I make that myself.
sally_in_wales

I might be extra tempted too if I could have a savoury muffin spread with (maybe-a bit of butter) and chutney, ready to eat on the spot. Even 'plain', its the sort of thing I'd buy to eat as I went round rather than to take home
Nicky Colour it green

cheese straws for me - I have a weakness for them
sicknote

I voted for scones ... but, re Minehead, it sounds like there's a chap doing street food who does scones who might be starting. Perhaps check with Shelley?

We had already checked with Shelley before we started so they are geared more for Watchet and Junction 24. She said a few people do them throughout the year so it would be better to leave them.

Thanks for the vote Smile
sicknote

I might be extra tempted too if I could have a savoury muffin spread with (maybe-a bit of butter) and chutney, ready to eat on the spot. Even 'plain', its the sort of thing I'd buy to eat as I went round rather than to take home

We are looking to cover both angles hence the selection packs. One of the markets also has a livestock market at the same time so we are looking for something that can be eaten there and then or give the visitors/tourists something to take home.
alison

cheese straws for me too. Very Happy DawnMK

I like chutneys, with tortial chips or salty crackers Very Happy
but not a lover of muffins or scones too starchy for me sorry Shocked
vegplot

Can't abide cheese straws and the muffins don't appeal in savoury mode so went for the scones. Ty Gwyn

We are looking to cover both angles hence the selection packs. One of the markets also has a livestock market at the same time so we are looking for something that can be eaten there and then or give the visitors/tourists something to take home.

To be honest,if i was going to a Livestock Market,i would want something a bit more substantial,

But best of luck in your venture.
dpack

chese straws dont distract like escaping pickle robkb

I voted cheese straws as that's what I always seem to munch on at our local market. Green Man

Sweet muffins and fruit scones Shan

I voted for the muffins with chutney - as that is something one could eat there and then. If hot soup and a crusty roll was on offer, I would be in heaven. Mary-Jane

I wouldn't buy the chutney combo as I make that myself.

Ditto.
sueshells

I voted muffins - less likely to make these for myself than scones. numberwang

I know it's not in the poll but samosas always go down well in this household.

I don't think I would go down the savory scone route & I only do pickles if quite finely chopped

picky sorry!!! Embarassed
Chez

I've just clicked to look at the numbers and I'm craving cheese straws now Sad Mr O

Pastie, or a pie for me. Sorry I can't vote for any of your choices. All too vegie for me. I would suggest for others too. sicknote

Pastie, or a pie for me. Sorry I can't vote for any of your choices. All too vegie for me. I would suggest for others too.

Mmmm, doesn't have to be veggie, we have been think of including Bacon, Pepperoni, Ham......
sicknote

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions so far, it has certainly given us plenty of food for thought (he, he, he)

Now for the fun bit...... Taste testing
wildfoodie

cheese straws... mmmmmm some for now and some for later! sicknote

O.K so the message we are getting from every poll that we have on the internet at the moment is that there is great love for Cheese Straws..... So without putting up another poll do people prefer these plain cheese or flavoured (spices, herbs etc)??? Nick

Good, strong cheddar. Maybe with paprika, or black pepper. Jamanda

And they must be fresh and crispy - a soggy cheese straw is an abomination! vegplot

a cheese straw is an abomination!

I may have mis-quoted.
Nature'sgrafter

the cheese straws would catch my eye but if you had something like bacon wrapped in a cheesy type pastry OMG heaven when in need of a nibble. Chez

Good, strong cheddar. Maybe with paprika, or black pepper.

Yep!
dpack

Good, strong cheddar. Maybe with paprika, or black pepper.

Yep!

seconded

herby ones often get a bit strong and bitter once they are out of the oven for a while ,pepper ones improve
sean

I reckon that if you made them with Quickes oak smoked cheddar or their goat cheese they'd be A Good Thing. sicknote

Right so today we have been experimenting (and eating lots!). We have used a really good, strong cheddar and cracked black pepper for our trial ones and we have also done a batch with chives.

Sean I will have a look as the Goats cheese sounds appealing.

We have also baked our first batch of Sour Cream and Chive Scones. I am feeling pretty full at the moment!!!
Chez

Will you be bringing some tomorrow?

Just askin'.

Embarassed
sicknote

We can bring a couple of samples if you fancy being a guinea pig? although I 'm not sure if there will be any left at the rate (kids are now home from school) Shan

I know it's not in the poll but samosas always go down well in this household.

I don't think I would go down the savory scone route & I only do pickles if quite finely chopped

picky sorry!!! Embarassed

Samosas would be brilliant! So very moreish too.
Chez

We can bring a couple of samples if you fancy being a guinea pig? although I 'm not sure if there will be any left at the rate (kids are now home from school)

Why are even putting a question mark after that? Laughing Bet you don't have any left, though!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Array Home Home Array Home