Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Bodger

A day apple picking.

It poured down here last night but thankfully, this morning see's the sun shining, well at least at the moment it is and I'm hoping that it stays that way for an ensuing days apple picking.
I've already got the van loaded with the the apple picking paraphernalia and I'm just waiting for a knock on the door from Pugh. We'll be setting off within the hour, with our new plastic trugs, ladders and a large poking stick. Today, our destination is an old run down orchard in the picturesque village of Llaniestyn.
I did a spot of scouting on Tuesday and the trees are a mixture of eaters and cookers. There are some beautiful red eaters, which have a nice pink blush to their flesh and they should make for a really nice apple juice.

We had thirty plastic trugs delivered yesterday, half of them red and the other half blue. Basically, the apples for cider making and those for apple juice will go into seperate coloured trugs and never the twain should meet.
The apples for juicing must be in pristine condition and should be picked directly off the tree, while the slightly manky apples and anything thats been on the floor, will be going for cider.
I'll try and remember to take my camera with me and get what should be some interesting pictures.
What are you folks upto today ? I love my job.thumbup
chicken feed

catching up with paper work & housework so i can have time off at the weekend to visit the ploughing match with friends.

mush remember to check the gin, vodka & whisky i have making friends with the wild damsons, blackberries, tayberries & raspberries we picked.

have a good day apple picking john
Bodger

Will that mean a snifter from each bottle? Very Happy
chicken feed

Embarassed maybe in the interest of quality control
robkb

Re: A day apple picking.

What are you folks upto today ?

Nothing as interesting as you, that's for sure. Wink
Bodger

Hey Rob! things get better, or at least they might do.
Pugh and I have been back for just over an hour. There were plenty of apples to be picked and we ended up with the equivalent of about a dozen 25kg bags full.
I've just had a strange phone call from a couple who say that they've just opened a bar in Bangor and they want to suss my cider out. They'll be here shortly, I'll let you know how I get on.
At the moment, the local pubs take it in 20 litre bag in boxes and thats the only option we offer them. We are going to do some 50ml crown top bottles for next season, so I'll just have to see how serious they are and how much of a hurry they're in. Our cider isn't what you'd really associate with what may very well be a yuppy bar. Laughing
Northern Boy

Hey Rob! things get better, or at least they might do.
Pugh and I have been back for just over an hour. There were plenty of apples to be picked and we ended up with the equivalent of about a dozen 25kg bags full.
I've just had a strange phone call from a couple who say that they've just opened a bar in Bangor and they want to suss my cider out. They'll be here shortly, I'll let you know how I get on.
At the moment, the local pubs take it in 20 litre bag in boxes and thats the only option we offer them. We are going to do some 50ml crown top bottles for next season, so I'll just have to see how serious they are and how much of a hurry they're in. Our cider isn't what you'd really associate with what may very well be a yuppy bar. Laughing

Authentic locally produced cider is Yuppie gold (maybe you could call it that). Plus you can chuck an extra quid on the price of a pint.
robkb

Our cider isn't what you'd really associate with what may very well be a yuppy bar. Laughing

Make it taste like flat lager, you'll soon be a millionaire Very Happy

Not many apples to pick in my office today Wink Sadly, there aren't any to pick in my garden or allotment either - I've had a terrible year for fruit this year.

Still, it can't be all bad if people are making cider thumbup
yummersetter

I'm doing Proper Photographic Printing, in a darkroom in the dark. From 10x8inch colour negs, beautiful Norfolk landscapes.

Not many of my apples are ripe yet, I tried to find some Bramleys yesterday to give a visitor but they're still olive green and hard as a rock.
I have had some Royal Gala that are red with pink flesh, they're nice but on a low tree, so the young setter keeps pinching them to play ball with.
Treacodactyl

Shopping for cheap glittery silvery green nail varnish (I didn't find any) and fitting a bike carrier.
12Bore

Shopping for cheap glittery silvery green nail varnish (I didn't find any) and fitting a bike carrier.
Hope your nails are ok after fitting the carrier, especially as you didn't get the varnish...
Treacodactyl

Hope your nails are ok after fitting the carrier, especially as you didn't get the varnish...

They're ok, got a bit of red polish on that needs removing.

I must admit to being a bit shocked by the prices, who pays 10+ for a small pot? Shocked
12Bore

They're ok, got a bit of red polish on that needs removing.

I must admit to being a bit shocked by the prices, who pays 10+ for a small pot? Shocked
Try here... Laughing
Treacodactyl

I was going to use silver metallic paint until I saw some turquoise glitter fleck polish which would far better for my plans. Cool Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home