Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
PeteS

A few more mushrooms

Just as I was finishing off last Tuesdays mushrooms + Blewits and Parasol mushrooms from later in the week I got another lot.

I'd actually went out looking for Saffron Milk-caps (I really like this mushroom) and I've got quite good at working out where to find them - they like pines, usually Scotts Pine. However pine woods/forests don't seem very fruitfull. They seem to prefer pines on the edge of a wood, especially those that are slightly out in the open. For some reason there were loads about (I was only out for about an hour) and I was trying a spot I'd never been to before. Saffron's are prone to maggots but the vast majority of the ones I found were fine.

I also found a couple of nice Bay Boletes, two Ceps (one was perfect, one of the best I've found), a small Orange Birch Bolete, Amethyst Deceivers (there are so many of these at the moment), a few Chanterelles and various Russula's (relatively new to me as far as eating goes).

It's good to see that others are making sigmificant finds and I get the impression things are improving - odd since we've had so little rain.
Cathryn

That photo has texture. The underside of those mushrooms, lovely.
bingo

Nice Cep.

I'm going to cry aswell.
bingo

Blewits and Ceps.

Weird.
PeteS

bingo wrote:
Blewits and Ceps.

Weird.

It is weird. Last season the Blewits (down here at least) only appeared about a month after I found my last Cep.
PeteS

Been quiet on this forum recently.

At the moment even the Blewits (well, down this way at least) are struggling. Yet again we need some more rain. There will be a bit today, but probably not enough to chage much.

I put that nice Cep (plus a Bay Bolete) in a potato gratin as soon as I got home. It turned out really well, the flavour and aroma went all through the cream. Ceps definitely go well with spuds.
jp

Things are really quiet Pete. There is still a steady tickle of shrooms to be had, but I guess the poor season means people are finding other things to do. Confused
PeteS

Yes JP, I can understand this. As for myself I have to go out with the dog and foraging gives me something to do. Or maybe I use dog walking as an excuse to forgage Smile

Apart from Blewits it could all come to a halt next week as the forecast has a real cold spell. Night time temperatures are estimated to be as low as -1 to -2degC even in the south! It could be a long cold winter.
bingo

Rubbish.

Well I will look foward to the Wild Garlic and St Georges, will next year find my first Morel?

Something I did stumble across this season while looking for shrooms is a massive area where loads of wild strawberries grow, I mean loads. Obviously when I found this area there weren't any friut but come the summer.....£££££££££ Very Happy
jp

Quote:
Night time temperatures are estimated to be as low as -1 to -2degC even in the south! It could be a long cold winter.

Yikes! Oh well should still mean Bewitts & Oysters & my daughter would love some real snow Wink
bingo

Yeah I would like some snow.

We have to come to terms that this season didn't happen.

Fill your baskets next year. Very Happy
PeteS

I am going to make a real effort to find some Morels next spring (it's not that far off). I think I've got some good sites. And I have started to train my dog to hunt tuffles. By next session he might just be ready.
bingo

Yeah and I will be a tenner out of pocket. Sad Laughing
Stewy

bingo wrote:
We have to come to terms that this season didn't happen.

Hopefully it's just a bad dream and when I venture into the woods tomorrow I will be met with loads of tasty Ceps!

I can't come to terms with this Bingo, I just can't! Sad
PeteS

bingo wrote:
Yeah and I will be a tenner out of pocket. Sad Laughing

Perhaps there should also be a Morel challenge?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home