Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Rob R

A few pics from the farm...

For those who don't 'do' facebook;

Mistress Rose

Thanks Rob. Is that meadowsweet growing along the side of the water?
Rob R

Yes, that was a particularly good patch of it, all in flower. There's a fair bit in the fields too.

If anyone reading this disagrees with my assertation that we need to eat more meat, this important landscape is what is behind it, and there isn't much of it left.
Rob R

Pocklington canal SSSI, earlier today;

Bodger

Beautiful pictures Rob, thanks for sharing. thumbup
We don't have enough pictures posted on DS.
Rob R

Thanks - you inspired me Smile
Bodger

I hope that means you've taken more of your place. Very Happy
Rob R

I'm making a point of taking the camera with me a lot more - though it's not always easy to remember to use it when we're preoccupied with other things. Smile
Rob R

This evening (before the camera batteries died);

gythagirl

Beautiful.
dpack

nice snap,the moos look very happy with the dining arrangements.
either they are getting shorter or the field has grown well this year Laughing
Rob R

That's nothing compared to where the yearlings are going next - I was stood up and you couldn't see the wood for the grass...

Here's one of the steer calves from tonight, we've also had another new addition, another bull calf from Pebbles, also on the facebook page.

Bodger

That looks heaven to me. If I lived close to you ( don't shudder Laughing ) I'd be a free volunteer to labour for free on your place. thumbup
dpack

well done pebbles Very Happy

it makes a nice change to need a periscope but no snorkel
Rob R

That looks heaven to me. If I lived close to you ( don't shudder Laughing ) I'd be a free volunteer to labour for free on your place. thumbup

Thanks, but be careful what you wish for - it's not all lovely sunset fields. There's a fair bit of looking at four white walls, such as I'm going to do now, preparing some of this weeks meat orders.
Hairyloon

Pocklington canal SSSI, earlier today;

Not a lot of good as a canal looking like that.
Is being an SSSI incompatible with having a functional waterway?
Rob R

Not a lot of good as a canal looking like that.
Is being an SSSI incompatible with having a functional waterway?

No, not at all, in fact the whole of the River Derwent & Pocklington Canal are SSSI. The section you see there is classed as being in 'favourable' condition, where as the other side of the bridge (that I was standing on), upstream is 'unfavourable & declining', so the navigable bits are actually in better condition. The only reason that it's not navigable further up is because the preservation society haven't got the locks & dredging done yet.
Rob R

It would be kind of useful to have a cow-barge though, ox-towed, of course, as most of our grazing is within walking distance of the canal and river. Laughing Mistress Rose

Once it is in water there is no reason why not. All sorts of things used to be transported by water, and by railway too. One of our firewood customers family transported their entire farm including animals by rail to our area. Sadly the bull had enough by the time it got to the station and ran off. It was interesting getting it back on track I understand. Very Happy Luckily in those days it was a market town including animals so not completely unknown and didn't cause armed police, RSPCA marksmen etc. to be called out. Rob R

Once it is in water there is no reason why not.

Unfortunately, being all pleasure-boaters these days, the landings no longer exist, except where the waterway meets a pub...
sgt.colon

Beautiful pictures Rob, thanks for sharing. thumbup
We don't have enough pictures posted on DS.

I concur, we don't have enough pictures on DS.

And yes, great pictures Rob. Very Happy
Mistress Rose

You are probably lucky not to have the landings or you would have people wandering all over your land. You could try putting a couple of landings in with chains or barriers on the canal side to stop the boaters. We have been narrow boating and always tried to be considerate to land owners, but sadly some aren't. Rob R

I think we'll stick with the tractor. Smile All the land is behind some pretty big becks, so public ingress isn't much of a problem away from the road and footpaths. Few people venture far off the beaten track down in the Ings, which is wise if you don't know the landscape very well. Rob R

An adjacent field in bloom;

Mistress Rose

That looks lovely Rob. A few years ago there was a rape field in flower with poppies in it. Rather garish, but very colourful. Yours looks in far better taste. Is it a crop or grass field, and what are the white flowers? Rather difficult to tell from the picture. Rob R

The white flowers are oxeye daisy - and it's a stubble field that hasn't been cropped for two seasons, not one of ours but an adjacent field. It's been a good year for poppies, we have quite a few in the grass (as well as some ragwort...) Mistress Rose

Thought they might be, but they look a bit shorter than the poppies, and I would expect them to be taller round here. We get a lot of them on the verges. Has your neighbour left the field for a reason of just not got round to doing anything with it? Rob R

He's no longer with us, unfortunately, and probate is yet to be granted so it can't be sold until it is. Mistress Rose

I see. Hope the person that gets it is a good neighbour and farmer. Rob R

Not had any new pictures for a while - must get out with the camera later this week, got some interesting new bits to cover for the facebook page. Rob R

Eller Carr;

Mistress Rose

That looks like good feed for your cows Rob. Not too good on grasses, but looks like a good mix of species there.

That reminds me, I have to take a couple of books up into the woods to identify a couple of grasses and some flowers.
Rob R

I'm not too hot on identifying anything be it grass, bird or insect, and even worse at photographing them, but I appreciate them all the same.

Here are a few shots from this evening;

dpack

yum forage Rob R

Rob R

That looks like good feed for your cows Rob. Not too good on grasses, but looks like a good mix of species there.

I've just looked up the results from last year and they found 56 different species of grasses, sedges and rushes.
Mistress Rose

Not surprised. Even in the pictures of the cows, not really concentrating on the grasses, I could see several different sorts in the foreground. Couldn't name them, but they looked different. Very Happy The evening pictures have amazing light. Is that your farm on the hill? Rob R

The evening pictures have amazing light. Is that your farm on the hill?

I wish! No, this is rented summer grazing away from the farm, which is substantially more modest than the one pictured.
Mistress Rose

Looks like good grazing anyway. Good land to be able to rent in summer, although probably very wet or under water most winters. Ty Gwyn

Seem`s to be a lot of Fescue grasses in the mix,but i`m sure i spotted a few Cocksfoot`s in the middle picture. Rob R

I wasn't sure about the cocksfoot down there but I had a look this evening and there is the odd bit. More in the Melbourne field, of which I took some pictures tonight but have yet to see how they've turned out... Mistress Rose

There is some cocksfoot in that picture, but looking at the flower/seed heads there are several different types in some of the pictures. Not too easy to see in some, but certainly different types in the foreground of some of the pictures. Rob R

Nat managed to get a few pictures of a leveret we almost ran over today;

dpack

ace snap of the wee hare ,competition quality Rob R

And bales as far as the eye can see (ours is just the bit in the foreground that will be baled later);

Rob R

ace snap of the wee hare ,competition quality

Thanks - she's going to enter it and see how it goes. After the last couple of days of taking it just a little too far and spooking the wildlife, this was a 'stop yourself in the knick of time' moment with the wheel of the baby buggy.
dpack

Laughing

i thought it was a near miss rta Laughing
Barefoot Andrew

That critter snap is indeed ace.
A.
Bodger

Rob I know that you put a lot of hard work into what you do but what you have there looks like heaven to me. Very Happy NorthernMonkeyGirl

Wonderful pictures!

We have a lot of hares just down the road, fortunately they're grown up enough to run away from the car but I wish they'd hop into the verge rather than shoot along the tarmac Surprised
Rob R

Rob I know that you put a lot of hard work into what you do but what you have there looks like heaven to me. Very Happy

Sometimes it is, and it makes all the battling against adversity worth it. Sometimes. Couldn't do it without all my beef customers, though. Very Happy
Bodger

Plug Laughing Laughing Laughing Rob R

It's true though, I don't think it's appreciated just how much our spending habits influence how the countryside looks. If noone was eating it I wouldn't be able to sustain it for very long at all. It's difficult enough as it is. Mistress Rose

Good luck with the hay making Rob. May the sun shine on your efforts. Lovely picture of the leveret. Rob R

Thank you, it must have worked; he did manage to get it baled before the rain came overnight. Smile Mistress Rose

Good. Very Happy Rob R

'Whisky' the bull relaxing, on holiday, in the North Yorkshire Moors

dpack

the boy looks good and seems happy with his job .if he thinks of it as a "job"
he does look a very like his dad and although a different colour a bit like his mum as well ,especially in length

wow he is beautiful .
recon you kept the right one intact Laughing
Rob R

Mistress Rose

Brilliant. We hear tawny owls in the woods, but don't see them as they are always the other side of the canopy to us. Currently a lot of noise from buzzards. Think they are rearing a chick or two in the woodland just to the north of where we are working, but haven't seen anything yet. Rob R

I've seen one tawny this time as I pulled up at the gate to a field by the canal it shot out of the bush. Far too quick and in any case too dark to photograph, but I spent some time listening to them. Then on the way home there is sometimes a little owl sat on the electric pole at the side of the main road (a B-road, but it's main to us). It seems to have been a very good year for owls, after a couple of bad ones. Smile dpack

i suspect the owls are doing well cos the voles have swapped scuba gear for sunscreen n trunks

round here they seem to mostly hunt rats
Mistress Rose

I haven't really heard owls much yet this year. In the summer we usually get the young males practising their calls and making a mess of it. Perhaps we will hear some in the afternoons soon.

Yesterday, saw and heard a couple of buzzards. They came down to more or less where we think the nest is making a terrible row, so think they may be the young ones. At the same time another, larger one, swooped silently along the ride as if trying to get away from these noisy youngsters.
Rob R

One of my main ambitions this year is to photograph a Marsh Harrier. Mistress Rose

That would be good. We don't have them; no marsh. Laughing Rob R

Smile Well I haven't seen one so far this year but yesterday we had a day out at Halifax Show in West Yorkshire and, despite forgetting to charge the camera battery, I did manage to get a few good photos of a rare bird;

More available at www.facebook.com/goldtopoxen
Mistress Rose

The cow seems to be enjoying it. Nice picture. Shouldn't think a cow is very fast, but good staying power. Rob R

I dunno, cows can be pretty fast. Unfortunately this scene was repeated in the grand parade of livestock with a handler hanging on like grim death but I didn't have the camera ready.

dpack

some of the moos can be rather too fast Laughing Rob R

These little things are certainly too fast - have to catch them resting...

acr

...aptly called a 'Ruddy Darter'.

I also came across a family of voles going about their business, not at all bothered about me watching them, and an excellent view of the owl feeding the youngsters, unfortunately I didn't have the camera with me on either occasion.
Mistress Rose

They do it on purpose Rob; they know when you don't have the camera. Very Happy

In our village we managed to get the building of a leisure complex stopped because of the ruddy darter dragonfly. We see dragonflies in the woods and garden but they are greeny coloured. No idea what sort they are. I haven't even looked them up, but suppose I ought to.
Rob R

They might be Emerald Damselflies?

What with all this rain the grazing marshes are really living up to their name. We have wet bits all along here, where the higher ground of the glacial sands give way to the ings and several springs seep out, but the rain is making it all wet now and our small cows, being lighter on the wet ground, are showing their full advantage now;

Mistress Rose

No, definitely dragon flies of some sort. Will look them up some time and let you know.

Small cows are very good for grazing special areas aren't they. We came across a herd of white park cattle on a common across the border in Sussex from us. It has some wet bits and quite a lot of heater. Think they are there to stop it from scrubbing up.
Barefoot Andrew

You do have an excellent amount of sky. I like lots of sky. I gaze at ours regularly.
A.
Mistress Rose

Living among the downs, and often being in the woods, I am used to not much sky and find flat land odd, partly for that reason. I went on a course once with someone that came from East Anglia. We were all putting up at a hotel in a hollow in the downs, and he got claustrophobia. Seemed quite cosy to me. Rob R

You do have an excellent amount of sky. I like lots of sky. I gaze at ours regularly.
A.

It does have the effect of making you feel like you're in the middle of nowhere (some might say that's right) but at that point we're within a mile of the main B-road to York and three miles of the main Hull to York road, 9 miles from the very centre of the city (I've just looked it up though, and the one farm down there does have it's own postcode!).
Mistress Rose

Looked up the dragonfly and the most likely is the downy emerald hawker. It is supposed to be quite common where we are, although we have no permanent water within half a mile of us. Think they come along the hedge lines hawking for insects. Rob R

And on that note, here are a couple of butterflies that we've seen recently in the woods/heath and ings;

Small Copper

Small Skipper on Water Mint
Mistress Rose

Pretty. We have a few rather tattered silver washed fritillaries left, but as it has been a bit cooler, wetter and windier, the only other ones to venture out are red admirals.

Husband thinks the dragon flies are southern darters btw.
Rob R

Not posted any for week, so here goes...

Mistress Rose

Nice pictures. Thank you. Rob R

This one seems popular on facebook today, taken last night in the Ings after moving the cows and calves;

Bodger

I should think that it did prove popular, it looks great. Very Happy Rob R

Thanks Very Happy Nick

How many cattle have you, now? Rob R

In total BCMS suggests 94, although 4 of those are non-Dexter oxen, but 35 breeding cows going to the bull this year. Rob R

One especially for Mistress Rose here - an Alder carr woodland, not our bit, but we graze the land on two sides of it.

Jamanda

Is that sheepsbit scabious? Rob R

Devil's-bit, I think it's a bit wet for sheep's down there. Jamanda

Very pretty which ever. Rob R

Yes, I admit it is hard to tell the difference between the two at that distance Smile It's only half a mile off the beaten track in either direction but feels like the middle of nowhere. Calli

Newly returned to this forum and I so want to be able to "like" or at least leave some impression of appreciation to the photos - Lovely Rob! Rob R

Thank you - they're all available on our Facebook page, www.facebook.com/rosewoodfarms please do share them Mistress Rose

Thanks Rob, that is a lovely picture. The scabious at the front really gives a bit of colour too. Am not too familiar with alder carr as we live and work mainly on the downs, so no water for the alder. In fact I am most familiar with it as a tree of streets and car parks.

That is some meadow. The cattle look happy there. Hope they grow well on it.
Barefoot Andrew

What they all said about lovely views Rob.
A.
Rob R

That is some meadow. The cattle look happy there. Hope they grow well on it.

They don't really, that's why we have it Smile as it's marginal land, but they are better suited to it than some larger breeds so we fulfil our niche. The only problem is that the grazing niche is currently bigger than than the grazed meat niche, so we need to work at redressing the balance if we are to manage it better.
Rob R

Very pretty which ever.

The Natural England crew have just added some more pictures to their facebook page, which you may find interesting.
dpack

nice snaps from the ld and skipwith Rob R

Just a snapshot but it was gone seconds later...

Rob R

Mowing red clover - how many different species can you see in this picture?

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Home Home Home Home Home