Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
chez

A good thing has happened!

I have been asked to participate in a local farmer's market once a fortnight, selling eggs. I did the first one last week and just about made a profit, which I was happy with and for someone who is a confirmed misanthrope, I thoroughly enjoyed talking to people, despite the torrential rain.

The local population are used to the egg stall being there fortnightly rather than weekly and I got a lot of comments along the lines of 'well now we know there will be someone here every week, we will definitely come and buy'. Apparently a few of the local B&Bs used to come up and buy for their breakfasts; but they stopped when the supplier wasn't there regularly, too.

It's quite expensive, £25 for a 3mx3m marquee thing, from 8.30 to 2. But there is someone to help you unload and load again and it's in the middle of the town.

I am going to see how it goes over the summer - so far, so good, though.
marigold

Very Happy All the best with it.
12Bore

wav
gz

cheers Very Happy
Chickem

wav
well done Cool
alison

What else are you selling. That is an lot of eggs for that price.
Penny Outskirts

That sounds really good Smile Perhaps you can branch out to selling meat chicken too ?
Chickem

Rhea's eggs are quite expensive a dozen y'know Wink
Laughing
alison

True. I forgot Chez was into exotics. She would only need to sell half a dozen. Laughing
chez

Just eggs at the moment; you know how farmer's markets work, it's all about not treading on anyone else's toes. I am going to see how it plays out and then maybe see if I can fill in with something else I do that no-one else does.

I shifted 45 dozen Smile.
alison

Well done. jema

Good luck Smile RuthG

45 dozen is a lot of eggs! Good luck and hope the sales keep up for you. gardening-girl

Keeps you of the streets then! Laughing Laughing chez

Well, strictly speaking, it's keeping me ON the street, from 8.30 to 2pm every other Friday. But I get what you mean Laughing windyridge

Good news chez darkbrowneggs

Excellent news Chez - Well done Very Happy

All the best for future developments
Sue
Effie

Hurrah for success in expanding your chicken based empire! Very Happy Faithmead

Weyhey, well done Chez - brilliant result Wink snowball

Good stuff. Very Happy Well done you. Nicky cigreen

cheers glad its working out Smile Fee

FanTASTic! Well done, you Very Happy Bulgarianlily

Get a really thick waterproof mat to stand on, it is hard on the feet!

Well done.
markjadams

As someone who is a regular at several farmers markets I would say that 45 doz for a friday market is a very good start.

If you can I would try and get on a weekend market as these tend to be busier as the people with some money are not working.

Well done, and welcome to the farmers market traders family.

Mark.
Mrs R

I noticed in my farmers market days that at certain markets, eggs could clean p - the guy next to us on some would be the first to be sold up, packed up and home! Lorrainelovesplants

8.30 till 2pm is a long haul though...

I did Wadebridge (WI)farmers market (indoors) for a few months.....
took up a lot of my time and didnt really make any money...
and a lot of elderly (you'll do it my way) type people.

Not for me.
mochyn

Ye gods, woman: how many hens have you got now? SandraR

Ye gods, woman: how many hens have you got now?

Very Happy I was trying to work out just that.
Mrs R

rather boringly I think I'd be calculating profit per egg rather honestly....of course if it's just to go partway to covering feed and the real money comes in the form of hatching egg/breeding stock sales... chez

I am making 100% profit on each half dozen, including the cost of the box or tray. Obviously my fees for the market and fuel then come out of that profit; I therefore need to sell 30 dozen to break even. After that, I make 1.20 per dozen.

My insurance is on top of that.

There is a possibility of a Saturday market at another location; that only costs £14 and is between 9 and 1. The footfall is less, though.

Mochyn: Until my new batch of pullets come in to lay, I have arranged to buy in from another local free-range producer. She is the person who put me in touch with the market - she was offered it but it doesn't fit her childcare arrangements.

Nat: Yep, that's the way I am thinking.
Mrs R

how are you making 100% profit? Shocked do you mean 10%? chez

No, 100%. It costs 60p to produce half a dozen eggs. I sell at £1.20. That's 100% markup.

The 60p includes feed, bedding etc and the cost of the birds spread over 104 weeks, at 220 eggs per year per bird and 4p per egg carton.

Obviously it doesn't include other overheads - capital expenditure, advertising, stall-hire, travel, insurance etc; so my *actual* profit isn't 100%, just initially, per box of eggs. Can't work the annual net profit out until I've done a whole year really. I expect it will be a great deal less!
Bodger

I've only just found this post Chez. I wish you all the best, I'm sure that you'll do well. thumbup chez

Thank you, Bodger. I want to make enough from it so that Arvo doesn't have to go away so much and we can all have a more settled life. Bodger

It can be done. thumbup
I'm going to start selling apple juice this year, so we're sort of at the same stage.
My tip for you, is don't forget that ducks are easier than hens and that for some strange reason, duck eggs fetch more money Very Happy
chez

My mother had a conniption fit when I suggested getting more than three ducks and it's her land. But I am working on it.

Since you mention it, though - what would you suggest as the best breed of laying duck? I have saxonys atm, which are good dual purpose - I have had an egg virtually every day between Valentine's Day and last week. But now they have stopped and are changing their clothes.

ETA: I hate call ducks, though. They have funny shaped heads.
Bebo

Oi, they don't. And they don't crap as much as bigger ones.
Penny Outskirts

Oi, they don't. And they don't crap as much as bigger ones.

Shocked
pookie

My mother had a conniption fit when I suggested getting more than three ducks and it's her land. But I am working on it.

Since you mention it, though - what would you suggest as the best breed of laying duck? I have saxonys atm, which are good dual purpose - I have had an egg virtually every day between Valentine's Day and last week. But now they have stopped and are changing their clothes.

Khaki Campbells I believe are fab layers!
chez

They are really like mallards, though. And I have Mallard Fear since we had four dozen of them shagging indiscriminately on the pond in the back garden during my childhood.

I quite fancy Indian Runners ... don't know how they lay, though. And they will remind Arvo of home, as they walk like Liverpudlians.
Bebo

And they will remind Arvo of home, as they walk like Liverpudlians.

Like they've been shoplifting frozen chickens and smuggling them out in their trackie bottoms?
mochyn

Runners are pretty good layers if you get a good strain. And they're a lot of fun. Can't fly either, but they're timid. Liz in Ireland

Quote:

I shifted 45 dozen Smile.

Shocked What did you do with them before??
pookie

They are really like mallards, though. And I have Mallard Fear since we had four dozen of them shagging indiscriminately on the pond in the back garden during my childhood.

I quite fancy Indian Runners ... don't know how they lay, though. And they will remind Arvo of home, as they walk like Liverpudlians.

oh no I have that song in my head now......'walk like an Egyptian' Rolling Eyes
chez

Shocked What did you do with them before??

I 'topped up' my own with some from a local free-range friend. I cleared it with the market first - I didn't want to invest in pullets unless it was going to fly, and it looks like it will. Hence the leghorn order Smile

ETA: Bebo - EXACTLY like that Smile

How good is 'pretty good' Mochyn?
Bodger

Khaki Campbells are the very best but if you don't like them, then consider White Campbells. I've recently set myself up with some. They are fantastic birds. Photos tomorrow. thumbup chez

Oh gosh. That's getting in to my 'fear of white poultry' area, too Laughing I'll end up keeping Ixworths at this rate Rolling Eyes Laughing Ollie

Runners are pretty good layers if you get a good strain. And they're a lot of fun. Can't fly either, but they're timid.

Three of our seven ducks are runners and they're the least timid (the others are buff orpingtons and blue swedish, two of each). However, I certainly agree that they're a lot of fun---they always want to know what's going on and look pleasingly silly when they run.

Of the six females (one of the blue swedish is male) we're pretty sure that one does not lay at all and we average 4 eggs a day. I don't know how this compares to other breeds.
Bodger

Within the last couple of months we've gone from 0 to 12 ducks and touch wood, everything is going swimmingly. Yesterday, my son and his girlfriend bought them a childs paddling pool for the princely sum of £1.50p and they, thats the ducks, had a fantastic time.

We have five White Campbells and seven Indian Runners of various colours. If you listen to what people say, then the Runners here in the UK are not the birds they once were. This is due to the fact that for many years now, they have been bred with showing, rather than utility in mind. The Runners that Ollie has in the States would probably knock the spots off ours in the laying department.
mochyn

I've found Runners to be second only to Campbells for laying. I got my first Runners from Chris Ashton near here (she wrote The Domestic Duck). Mistress Rose

Glad you are doing well at the market. We started Farmers Markets with a town one, but as we sell wood products it is rather an optional extra for most people, and we didn't do very well. We have now gone onto the Hampshire Farmers Markets, and find them better, although we don't make anything like as much as the food producers. It does bring in orders for firewood, outlets for charcoal, and a few other things though, so worthwhile on the whole.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home